European Nations League - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Nations League

EddardStark

Just now, Kirk said:

Would be a long journey but Dubrovnik is a great place to visit

I'll never forget the shock I got the time I went into what I thought was just a souvenir shop to buy the usual fridge magnets etc and turnt around to see a big table filled with dildos all shapes and sizes

9 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I'll never forget the shock I got the time I went into what I thought was just a souvenir shop to buy the usual fridge magnets etc and turnt around to see a big table filled with dildos all shapes and sizes

And THAT, Your Honour, is the case for the defence.

9 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

You should have seen what I ended up with when I went to buy a dildo!

13 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

😂😂😂 I definitely missed that shop, sure you weren't in Amsterdam?

Booked my flights out to Israel - Sunday - Stanstead to Istanbul - 2 nights there - stunning city  then fly to Tel Aviv on the Tuesday - £86.  ill book the return leg later in the year when I can decide where to have a night on the way back. Favourite at moment is either Paris or Athens.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to simplify this process for the sfa and our current manager who (absolutely astoundingly don’t seem to be taking this tournament seriously):given the quotes in the media that Mcleish will have 10 games to warm up. Absolute bollocks he will-these nations league games are paramount.

Should Scotland win group one we would then progress to a semi final against one of the other 4 league c group winners & should we win that we would reach a final playoff against the winner of the other semi final to reach Euro 2020.

This IS by far and away the most realistic route to Scotland qualifying as we’ll probably draw France/Italy/spain etc in the ultimate qualifying group with only the top 2 qualifying from the group.

If we do win group 1 it’s likely based on recent form;the other group winners would be Serbia, Hungary and Slovenia making up the semi finals.

Glad to clear that up.

28 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Just to simplify this process for the sfa and our current manager who (absolutely astoundingly don’t seem to be taking this tournament seriously):given the quotes in the media that Mcleish will have 10 games to warm up. Absolute bollocks he will-these nations league games are paramount.

Should Scotland win group one we would then progress to a semi final against one of the other 4 league c group winners & should we win that we would reach a final playoff against the winner of the other semi final to reach Euro 2020.

This IS by far and away the most realistic route to Scotland qualifying as we’ll probably draw France/Italy/spain etc in the ultimate qualifying group with only the top 2 qualifying from the group.

If we do win group 1 it’s likely based on recent form;the other group winners would be Serbia, Hungary and Slovenia making up the semi finals.

Glad to clear that up.

I’m pretty sure McLeish and even the troglodytes at the SFA are aware of the importance of the Nations League. 

Where are you seeing these quotes?

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m pretty sure McLeish and even the troglodytes at the SFA are aware of the importance of the Nations League. 

Where are you seeing these quotes?

Saw it in one of the daily record articles about there being comfort in “10 warm up” games. If those nation league games are warm ups then what are the competitive games?! Logically we do stand a better chance against Albania,Israel,Hungary and Serbia than the qualification proper games bearing in mind again it’s the top 2 qualifying. 

You can bet your bottom dollar given our current seeding pot we’ll draw a couple of top teams in that!  

Win our nations league group and we’re two games from Euro 2020 against similar opposition. This should be the top priority.

13 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Saw it in one of the daily record articles about there being comfort in “10 warm up” games. If those nation league games are warm ups then what are the competitive games?! Logically we do stand a better chance against Albania,Israel,Hungary and Serbia than the qualification proper games bearing in mind again it’s the top 2 qualifying. 

You can bet your bottom dollar given our current seeding pot we’ll draw a couple of top teams in that!  

Win our nations league group and we’re two games from Euro 2020 against similar opposition. This should be the top priority.

I wouldn’t believe anything I read in that shitrag. 

The four Nations League games are vital for 2 reasons. If we win our group we will get into the playoffs but possibly even more importantly we’ll get promoted and may be in pot 2 for the draw for the qualifiers (pot 3 at least would assured if we win our group). 

I’m confident that McLeish and the beaks at Hampden (does it really matter what they think as long as McLeish gets it?) understand this regardless of what the Daily Record prints.

1 minute ago, jackhayes17 said:

Anyone know when the deadlines is for the friendly matches we have to play as part of the Nations League being announced? Sure I read somewhere it was early March. Any more rumours? Portugal away been mentioned 

03 March.

There is only a small number of Nations from Uefa that would be available to play us. Portugal being one.

On 2/20/2018 at 2:50 AM, Texas Pete said:

I wouldn’t believe anything I read in that shitrag. 

The four Nations League games are vital for 2 reasons. If we win our group we will get into the playoffs but possibly even more importantly we’ll get promoted and may be in pot 2 for the draw for the qualifiers (pot 3 at least would assured if we win our group). 

I’m confident that McLeish and the beaks at Hampden (does it really matter what they think as long as McLeish gets it?) understand this regardless of what the Daily Record prints.

The 2020 qualifying pots are based on NL rankings. Top 6 teams in Division C will be in Pot 3 and the remaining 10 in Pot 4. 

58 minutes ago, wubbs said:

The 2020 qualifying pots are based on NL rankings. Top 6 teams in Division C will be in Pot 3 and the remaining 10 in Pot 4. 

Yeah I knew that but wasn’t sure if it was before or after relegation/promotion. 

If it’s based on the finishing positions then the pots are potentially going to be all over the place with in form teams who are going to get promoted going into pot 3 and teams who lose all of their NL games going into pot 2 etc. 

On 24. února 2018 at 3:46 PM, Texas Pete said:

Yeah I knew that but wasn’t sure if it was before or after relegation/promotion. 

If it’s based on the finishing positions then the pots are potentially going to be all over the place with in form teams who are going to get promoted going into pot 3 and teams who lose all of their NL games going into pot 2 etc. 

How will it be all over the place? I'm confused by you mentioning pot 2. 

the 55 nations are divided into 6 pots based on their final NL finishing position. 

pot 1 - top 10 division A

pot 2 - bottom 2 division A + top 8 division B

pot 3 - bottom 4 division B + top 6 division C

pot 4 - bottom 10 division C

pot 5 - top 10 division D

pot 6 - bottom 5 division D 

33 minutes ago, wubbs said:

How will it be all over the place? I'm confused by you mentioning pot 2. 

the 55 nations are divided into 6 pots based on their final NL finishing position. 

pot 1 - top 10 division A

pot 2 - bottom 2 division A + top 8 division B

pot 3 - bottom 4 division B + top 6 division C

pot 4 - bottom 10 division C

pot 5 - top 10 division D

pot 6 - bottom 5 division D 

Well the top 4 in league B will get promoted into league A won’t they? 

That will mean 4 teams that are now in league A will be in pot 2 and 2 teams that have been relegated to league B will still be in pot 1. 

So whoever finished 9th in league A could be absolute horse shit between now and the qualifying draw and they will still be in pot 1 whereas the teams in league B have no chance of moving into pot 1 even if they win all their games  (which they would have if the traditional method of deciding the pots was used). 

Its not a major issue though and was just an observation on the new way the pots are decided. 

I thought the pots might have been decided on the positions of the teams after promotion/relegation but that might be too difficult to figure out I suppose. 

Edited by Texas Pete

If St Mirren win the championship they'll be the 13th best team in Scotland.

They can't be higher than any of the SPFL teams as they haven't been playing against them during the season.

Same logic applies with Nations League. Croatia finishing third to Spain and England is a better achievement than the Czechs who topped a group with Slovakia and Ukraine.