European Nations League - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Nations League

EddardStark

On 1/19/2018 at 1:54 PM, N4Footsoldier said:

Couldn't really care less about promotion tbh - what I was interested in was how it helps us qualify.

Basically if we fail to finished 2nd or above in our normal qualifying group, it is a fallback where we can qualify via playoffs. We would need to win our group unless we can 2nd and the team(s) above us already qualify.

Note finishing 2nd place in our normal qualifying group this time would mean automatic qualification.

This is about the best description I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHz4h7hiPgo

Why do you not care about promotion?  If we top our group with Albania and Israel, after euro 20 we would then be in league b.  If holland and england get relegated from league a, a strong possibility would you not be excited by that group, visting Amsterdam and humping the enemy?

Also say we get NI and Aut in our group in 21, we get promoted we are in league a.  Then we are playing for the Nations league trophy.  We did win the kirin cup! The whole change with this system is the big teams don't just get their ranking handed to them every 2 years.  Its all based on performance now.

Anyway just a bit of thinking about stuff while we wait for the fixtures.

4 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Why do you not care about promotion?  If we top our group with Albania and Israel, after euro 20 we would then be in league b.  If holland and england get relegated from league a, a strong possibility would you not be excited by that group, visting Amsterdam and humping the enemy?

Also say we get NI and Aut in our group in 21, we get promoted we are in league a.  Then we are playing for the Nations league trophy.  We did win the kirin cup! The whole change with this system is the big teams don't just get their ranking handed to them every 2 years.  Its all based on performance now.

Anyway just a bit of thinking about stuff while we wait for the fixtures.

Also if you end up in league B or league A and all those teams already qualify through the qualification stage and we don't, then we get in as next best ranked!

Absolutely delighted with Albania; that was the one I wanted; no doubt it was for many of us.

I'd probably have chosen Bulgaria ahead of Israel, but there wouldn't have been much in it; Israel will be fascinating.

Very happy with the group from a travel perspective, but I imagine they'll be tough away matches.

3 minutes ago, jackhayes17 said:

Also if you end up in league B or league A and all those teams already qualify through the qualification stage and we don't, then we get in as next best ranked!

Also the rankings for the playoffs are intresting and a bit complicated.  for example

Winners of groups in league C

C1vC4   C2vC3

But in League B

Say 9 have already qualified this is what happens

B2vC5      B3vB7

The 4 best teams not qualified in League C play each other but the 5th best team goes up into the next league for playoffs as this is harder

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

There will be some tit in a Glengarry and a Yes badge that will have one those.

Absolute cert.

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Go ahead if you want to get shot.

Only on the wind up lads, some Celtic fan probably will though

There won't be any free fixture date or month just because we're in a 3 team group.  UEFA have insisted that all 3 team groups organise two friendlies for their vacant dates, so there will still be 6 matches over the three months.

15 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Didn't realise the other three groups in that section all have 4 teams. Bad omen for me as i still remember 2010 qualifiers when Scotland were in the 5 team group so less chance to get points. Wasn't there a euros group like that?

I remember the last time we were in a 3 team group....