European Nations League - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Nations League

EddardStark

14 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I see the draw for this is 11am on the Wednesday afternoon. Will the fixtures be announced that day too?

They may have some kind of secondary draw during the televised draw to determine position in the group after each team is drawn to base it off of a predetermined order of play depending on your position. But for us they also have the caveat on their website for maximum number of Scandinavian teams and Lithuania to be placed in one group on the basis that their weather might disrupt fixtures. So maybe they will retrospectively look to have those teams play their home games in September as opposed to November for example.

11 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Is there relegation from the group of three teams even though they don't have a lowest seed?

Yes, 4 group winners go up, and 4 teams that finish bottom go down for when they plan to do it again in future.

49 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

We'll get Serbia and Montenegro then.

Hahaha thankfully for us due to tension in the area, almost all the Balkan nations are being separated in the draw, but actually does make things a tad nervous if you get one of the 3 team groups, and you end up getting a sod of a draw 

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Hahaha thankfully for us due to tension in the area, almost all the Balkan nations are being separated in the draw, but actually does make things a tad nervous if you get one of the 3 team groups, and you end up getting a sod of a draw 

Are you sure about that?

They have rule about Armenia and Azerbaijan not being in the same group but the only restriction I can see for our league is that there can only be a maximum of two "winter" teams in any group. We aren't classed as a "winter" team, probably not enough snow for that?

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Are you sure about that?

They have rule about Armenia and Azerbaijan not being in the same group but the only restriction I can see for our league is that there can only be a maximum of two "winter" teams in any group. We aren't classed as a "winter" team, probably not enough snow for that?

UEFA/FIFA has a pretty lengthy list these days of who can and can not play each other (ie Russia against Ukraine and Georgia.... Gibraltar and Spain... and after the last couple of Croatia v Serbia games, plus Albania v Serbia almost starting WW3 a year or two ago, they have went zero tollerence with most the western Balkan nations).

I am not sure how strict they are on the "winter" rule, as read somewhere this has been in place a while now.... I do not think we are classified as a "winter" nation, but imagine Finland and Norway are, with maybe Estonia added in.

Edited by wanderer

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Are you sure about that?

What's a winter team?

6 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

What's a winter team?

Any nation that effectively has a proper winter (6 feet of snow and -20C.... yet unlike us when it hits 2 or 3C and a drop of sleet, get on with the day job).

Not sure what the geographical boarders UEFA are using for this though.

Basically they can not play at home in November.

I held a mock draw...

I wanted Albania, Bulgaria and Estonia.

We got Norway, Finland and Cyprus   :-(

I'd be happy enough with Finland, mind... In my 22 years of following Scotland away, we have never played any of the teams in pot 3.

35 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Finland’s pretty much the same! 😱

I found Helsinki to be much cheaper than Oslo (being honest, I would compare it to London prices) as you can afford to eat there and not like in Oslo where you are questioning yourself for just forking out £18 on a McDonalds meal.....

Also helped we found a bar in Helsinki that did a happy hour of €2 a pint all night.

Edited by wanderer

I just want the easiest draw possible although not to sure what that would be.

If I was putting my tourist hat on and combining football with places I would like to visit then Greece, Montenegro / Finland, Cyprus / Estonia.

Double header Finland and Estonia. The ferry between the two would be a laugh.

I did it last year, and was told that at weekends that ferry is a riot with Findlanders getting bevvied.

However, I haven't been to Greece or Montenegro, so they would be my top choices.

13 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Double header Finland and Estonia. The ferry between the two would be a laugh.

I did it last year, and was told that at weekends that ferry is a riot with Findlanders getting bevvied.

However, I haven't been to Greece or Montenegro, so they would be my top choices.

I don't know if you can get double header away qualifiers anymore. Last one I can think of was Wales and Belgium.

35 minutes ago, drew said:

I don't know if you can get double header away qualifiers anymore. Last one I can think of was Wales and Belgium.

You do still get them here and there (think Sweden had one recently) but not all that common