European Nations League - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Nations League

EddardStark

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think that is how it is going to work, but I haven't seen that confirmed yet.

I think that if they need teams to fill up the League B play off spots, they will take teams from lower down League C AFTER the League C play off spots have been filled. IMO That would be the logical way to do it.

Yes, this is how they're doing it.

49 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Friendlies do count but you don't get many points for them. 

I don't think they were planning on dropping down when they played at Hampden but backing them not to beat Malta last week was buying money. 

Maybe it's not the best source but according to the STV breakdown of how the NL will work, you don't get points for friendly matches within the UEFA rankings. This would be backed up by the fact Russia haven't accrued any points within this qualifying cycle. Basis of Russia having gained no points from the following site;

http://www.footballseeding.com/national-ranking-uefa/ranking-2017/

Not that it matters anyway, If they were trying to drop a division I'd say they would have had to lose every game for the whole campaign and some of the one before, so it's not done them much good deciding mid campaign :lol:

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

Anyone know if the National League is going to replace future seedings for Euro and world cup qualifying ?

If so we better take this serousely or before you know it we could be falling down the pots real fast.

Final positions in the Nations League will determine the seeding pots for the qualifying groups for Euro 2020. 

They will not affect the next World Cup qualifiers though as the pots for these will be decided based on world rankings as usual. 

4 hours ago, drew said:

That was my understanding of it. At least it will make teams take this new tournament seriously knowing you might need it as a backup plan to qualify for the Euros.

I don't think it is a horrible idea but UEFA have done an awful job explaining and selling it.

Not to sure about playing a semi and final playoff match within a couple of days in March.

I'm guessing both the semis and final will be played in the same neutral city to make it easier for fans to attend (this is UEFA so actually there will be no chance)

32 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Looks pretty good after watching that video. One venue for play-off semi-finals and final. Nations League position also determines pots for Euro Qualifiers. These games will be important.

The venue situation of the playoffs was my only concern. Having that confirmed as being one venue makes things simple and easy.

I watched the video without volume but looks like UEFA have explained it reasonably well. Possibly just journalists making no effort to report the format properly.

Looking forward to this if the game days work out OK.

Edited by drew

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I wonder if FIFA will consider Nations League matches as friendlies  in terms of how many ranking points a win/draw will accrue or will a win get you the same points as winning a qualifier or finals match?

That's a good question. Maybe half way between a friendly and a Qualifier????

15 minutes ago, drew said:

The venue situation of the playoffs was my only concern. Having that confirmed as being one venue makes things simple and easy.

I watched the video without volume but looks like UEFA have explained it reasonably well. Possibly just journalists making no effort to report the format properly.

Looking forward to this if the game days work out OK.

From what I understood in the video (needs sounds)  -  the higher rank team gets home advantage in the play-off semi-final. 

The final is at a venue to be decided by UEFA - i.e. it is not one venue. 

16 minutes ago, drew said:

Don't think that is what the video says. In the Semi, the highest ranked team gets home advantage. Then the final is decided by drawing lots. 

I read somewhere else that the final would be a neutral venue, but that seems to have changed.

6 hours ago, BMan said:

Hopefully SFA use their common sense here and price these games reasonably and also move these games across the country.  Be mad to have all these matches at Hampden as no way we will sell out with these opponents.

We'd sell over 20k for each game, so would be daft not having them at Hampden.

Not sure many folk would renew their SSC membership if you can't guarantee them a ticket for all "competitive" games either.

3 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

We'd sell over 20k for each game, so would be daft not having them at Hampden.

Not sure many folk would renew their SSC membership if you can't guarantee them a ticket for all "competitive" games either.

Agree. it has to be Hampden. We don't have a game for the next 11 months. Then it will be 3 home games (maybe only 2) in the Nations League between Sept and Nov. We will get decent crowds for them.

1 hour ago, Lion Rampant said:

Maybe it's not the best source but according to the STV breakdown of how the NL will work, you don't get points for friendly matches within the UEFA rankings. This would be backed up by the fact Russia haven't accrued any points within this qualifying cycle. Basis of Russia having gained no points from the following site;

http://www.footballseeding.com/national-ranking-uefa/ranking-2017/

Not that it matters anyway, If they were trying to drop a division I'd say they would have had to lose every game for the whole campaign and some of the one before, so it's not done them much good deciding mid campaign :lol:

They only finished one place too high. I think the problem was no team really wanted to move up a group. So every team that was already out of WC18 will have been aware of the impact of their results on their NC ranking. It won't have mattered to most as they wouldn't move. 

Is there a qualifying place for league A overall winners?

You could easily have 9-12 teams from that league qualify through normal groups. Where do you get the teams from to make up playoffs?

Also league A playoffs are a two legged semi final and final for an overall league winner. So whether they are qualified or not they should progress to that. Maybe there isn't a qualifying place for them?

12 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Is there a qualifying place for league A overall winners?

You could easily have 9-12 teams from that league qualify through normal groups. Where do you get the teams from to make up playoffs?

Also league A playoffs are a two legged semi final and final for an overall league winner. So whether they are qualified or not they should progress to that. Maybe there isn't a qualifying place for them?

League A has a semi final and final in June 2019 to find the overall winners, they also still have a play off spot in March 2020. The semi final play off spot from League A would drop down to the next best in League B and so on, there could easily be 15 teams from the A&B qualyfing.

So you could have a scenario where we are in Group 1 in League C, finish 2nd to Serbia but they qualify automatically, we would then get their semi-final spot.

6 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

You wouldn't want to be bumped up to League A playoffs over being in League B playoffs against weaker teams!

You could only be bumped up if you didn't qualify for the League B play-offs. 

The video does explain it well. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

You could only be bumped up if you didn't qualify for the League B play-offs. 

The video does explain it well. 

Say there is a space available in League A and League B playoffs and you are the best 2nd place team not qualified. Do you go into League A playoffs over League B?

• 3 months later...