Who Will Chuck It? Who Will Breakthrough? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who Will Chuck It? Who Will Breakthrough?

McExpat

1 minute ago, GordyA88 said:

Aye fair enough there is a massive difference. But who's to say that these boys won't be upto it against international teams if we give them a chance.

I'm not aginst putting them in for friendlies, I just think they need to be brought in slowly.  Also, there should almost be a process of getting them to the level to step in...  play well for your spl club... be signed by a premiership club or Celtic...  play well at that level... get a chance for the national team.

55 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

We need to totally revamp our midfield. Should be built around Mcginn Cairney Armstrong and McGregor going forward. I don't want to see the others again it's pointless. We need the younger lot to get as many games as possible.

This. Commit to this and I'd be excited about the next campaign. Get them in now and get them playing together as soon as possible. We aren't qualifying for tournaments anyway but I'd much rather support young guys rather than journeyman pros who really are punching above their weight domestically but drowning internationally. 

Just now, Auld_Reekie said:

This. Commit to this and I'd be excited about the next campaign. Get them in now and get them playing together as soon as possible. We aren't qualifying for tournaments anyway but I'd much rather support young guys rather than journeyman pros who really are punching above their weight domestically but drowning internationally. 

I hink brown, Morrison and possibly Fletcher should stay... brown is our best midfielder.

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

He plays champions league... plus although he plays well for his club, not really done it for Scotland yet... which proves my point about the level being different.

He might look decent In the SPL but after that he's out his depth. I dont think its a coincidence he doesn't start much in the Champions League. I'd love for him to do well, I've nothing against him but he's got about 20 caps and done literally absolutely nothing in a Scotland shirt. And he can take Bannan and Phillips with him.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I'm not aginst putting them in for friendlies, I just think they need to be brought in slowly.  Also, there should almost be a process of getting them to the level to step in...  play well for your spl club... be signed by a premiership club or Celtic...  play well at that level... get a chance for the national team.

I get what your saying but while we are waiting for the seasons to pass for them to get to this level we are missing out on them gaining experience. I'll go back to Wales again, Chris Gunter at right back for them is 28 years old. He's got 82 caps! He's never played champions league but is vastly experienced at International level and never gets roasted or torn apart for them. Over the last campaign and this campaign they are reaping the benefits of having an experienced, young squad. And why? Because they stuck these young guys in and let them play.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I hink brown, Morrison and possibly Fletcher should stay... brown is our best midfielder.

Brown I'd have no problem with just concerned he's not committed enough for a full campaign. Morrison hasn't done anywhere near enough IMO. Would love Fletcher to play on but he's just not quick enough. Would have as a squad player but need fresh starting XI. If had more support around him still has something to give but can't be surrounded by McArthur, Bannon and Morrison. 

11 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Brown I'd have no problem with just concerned he's not committed enough for a full campaign. Morrison hasn't done anywhere near enough IMO. Would love Fletcher to play on but he's just not quick enough. Would have as a squad player but need fresh starting XI. If had more support around him still has something to give but can't be surrounded by McArthur, Bannon and Morrison. 

Don't disagree, but nobody obvious to come in.  Brown, Fletcher, Armstrong would probably be first choice.  McGinn, if he gets a move to a big club and can do it there. Mcgregor if he becomes first choice for Celtic.  It wasn't so long ago people were shouting for Scott allan to be in.

McKenna was average / poor for Ayr in the championship last year and sun at best. McCrorie showed more promise a couple of years back when with us for a short spell but to say these guys are ready for international football after one or two decent performances is a joke. Cooper has been standout at Leeds so worth a go  

Stand by what I said before. Call ups for Barrie McKay (excellent start at Forest), Coutts and Fleck at Sheffield (both key parts of a Sheffield United team who regularly win week in week out), Graham Shinnie (silly he's rarely been called up as he's a consistant player who can cover a fair few positions). Hopefully Gauld can stay fit and play regularly for the Portuguese club he's at. Portuguese league is stronger than SPL so he'll have a shout if he can do well.

There's quite a gap between the promising players at u17 and u19 and the first team. Striker is my main worry. Who plays when Griffiths is injured? You'd hope Burke would get first team football and find his favoured position. It could be as a striker, but he was miles off it for the u21s. Callum Smith and Aitchison maybe but that's a few years off.

Strachan was right about the genetic part, but it's not just height, it's power. That's why he should have played McGinn last night.

8 hours ago, GordyA88 said:

I can see a few going and I think a few should be done now. Those I could see retiring, Fletcher, Brown, possibly Gordon. Others who should go are Berra, Mulgrew, Anya, Bannan, Martin, S Fletcher, Mcarthur. 

Time for us to follow the lead of the Welsh about ten years ago and play the young players. Guys like Ramsey for them have about 60 caps and are mid 20s.

Unfortunately you have to have young players as good as Ramsay to start with. He was a stand out from the age of 18.

I don't want to go back to the Berti Vogts era of playing people like Gareth Williams and Kevin Kyle simply because they were young. If anything, this approach held the national team back several years. 

Our best hope is ploughing the "granny rule" market and identifying a couple of English players not good enough to represent their own country.

This approach has served us well over the last ten years. If we could find a half decent central defender and striker from the Championship or lower Premiership it would make a huge difference. 

48 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

Our best hope is ploughing the "granny rule" market and identifying a couple of English players not good enough to represent their own country.

This approach has served us well over the last ten years. If we could find a half decent central defender and striker from the Championship or lower Premiership it would make a huge difference. 

How has it served us well? We've done f*ck all. To say this should be our strategy going forward is nauseating. I reckon that's the worst post I've read on here. Unless of course you're taking the piss! 

27 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

How has it served us well? We've done f*ck all. To say this should be our strategy going forward is nauseating. I reckon that's the worst post I've read on here. Unless of course you're taking the piss! 

We would have been worse off without Matt Ritchie, Chris Martin, James Morrison, Matt Phillips and Russell Martin. 

As a country we don't produce enough good players any more so using this route will undoubtedly make up part of our player recruitment strategy.

It's unlikely that Wales, Northern Ireland or ROI would have made it to major tournaments without the players they recruited through this avenue. 

Over the past 20 years or so, our squad has consisted of the usual mediocrities, the occasional gem and scraps from England. I can't see this changing over the next few campaigns, as we simply don't have more than a handful of decent young players.

Where are the central defenders going to come from? We should be investigating the family connections of every British player in the Premiership and Championship for any tenuous links that we can exploit. Unless you think that Grant Hanley and John Souttar will be the key to qualification. 

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Ralston, mcrorie and McKenna?  I hadn't heard of them before the start of the season.  Lots of guys like that come and go... we need sustained performances over a season or two before they get in.  Berra and mulgrew are the best we have unfortunately.

I wouldn't necessarily call up the three young defenders to start but they need to get experience with the squad like John Mcginn did. It can only help them to learn from the other professionals in the squad, although I doubt Mckenna will be looked at under strachan, he plays for Aberdeen therefore doesn't come under the strachan criteria for a good scottish player

34 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

We would have been worse off without Matt Ritchie, Chris Martin, James Morrison, Matt Phillips and Russell Martin. 

As a country we don't produce enough good players any more so using this route will undoubtedly make up part of our player recruitment strategy.

It's unlikely that Wales, Northern Ireland or ROI would have made it to major tournaments without the players they recruited through this avenue. 

Not one of those players you've listed would've been missed if they never got called, but that isn't even the point . All depends on your stance on the matter I suppose. You'd get on well with mark mcghee though. 

I can see at least one of Brown, Fletcher and Morrison calling it a day after this. I feel sorry for Darren Fletcher, one of the few genuine talents we've produced in the past 20 years, who'll most probably never get the chance to play in a major finals.

Hopefully Burke, Fraser, McGinn and Tierney continue to progress, and Ralston at Celtic too. I watched the under 21s game on Friday and one of the few Scottish players to impress me was Oliver Mcburnie, mainly because he is a big, physical centre forward - the type we've crying out for for years. 

7 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Complete and utter nonsense. all failures every last one of them. They just can't produce when it matters. I knew straight away watching Phillips he wasn't good enough to compete again Slovakia /Slovenia. Morrison has been at West Brom all these years for a reason - because that's his level, try not and relegated, dross. No winning mentality. 

Gordon has stated his desire to keep going,

"I'll be available until I'm no longer needed - I want to keep playing as much as I possibly can, so we'll see what the next campaign brings."

The long spells out injured have probably increased his desire to play as much as he can. I hope Fletcher feels the same, he was clearly our best player over the last 2 games and with his passion and experience, amongst other things, we could do with him sticking around. 

I dont think too many will retire, so i dont expect too many changes if strachan stay. The manager needs to retire them!! ie dont pick them

Needs to go - anya, bannan, phillips, R.martin, Hanley, whittaker, S.fletcher, J. Mcarthur

Coming in - Lindsay, Mcgregor, Mcginn, Shinnie, Christie, J. Souttar, C.Paterson. Cairney

I would like to get a starting line up something like this to see how it goes in a friendly 4-2-3-1

Gordon

Paterson Lindsay Berra Tierney

Brown Mcgregor/Cariney

Forrest/fraser Armstrong Robertson

Griffiths