Who Will Chuck It? Who Will Breakthrough? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who Will Chuck It? Who Will Breakthrough?

McExpat

Another campaign, another failure.

Will this see the end of any of our player's international careers?

With the Euros up next and being easier to qualify for will that lead to some sticking around? 

On the other hand,

Who can we expect to break into the team for the next campaign?

I can see a few going and I think a few should be done now. Those I could see retiring, Fletcher, Brown, possibly Gordon. Others who should go are Berra, Mulgrew, Anya, Bannan, Martin, S Fletcher, Mcarthur. 

Time for us to follow the lead of the Welsh about ten years ago and play the young players. Guys like Ramsey for them have about 60 caps and are mid 20s.

Im chucking it.

along with Brown(though he may breakthrough mid campaign if it fits in his agents schedule),fletcher,mulgrew,anya,Bannan(thank god),Martin,naismith,probably craig Gordon.

Not a hope in hell of Burke breaking through..........totally useless idle waster who probably sulks cos he wanted to play for some other team.

1 minute ago, runningtings said:

We need to blood some young defenders, Tierney at CB?

Midfield and forwards will be fine, I think Gordon still has a few years left.

What about Liam Lindsay at Barnsley. Playing every week. We need to get these players used to playing at this level and hopefully it will bring them on.

1 minute ago, harrystarfish said:

Chucking it voluntarily:

Brown, Gordon, Fletcher, Strachan, McGhee

Last game non-voluntarily:

Mulgrew, Bannan, Phillips

harsh on mulgrew...........arguably our best player in the last 2 campaigns(excluding injury)

7 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

What about Liam Lindsay at Barnsley. Playing every week. We need to get these players used to playing at this level and hopefully it will bring them on.

I'm not familiar, but the sooner we bring these guys into the setup the better I agree.

23 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

I can see a few going and I think a few should be done now. Those I could see retiring, Fletcher, Brown, possibly Gordon. Others who should go are Berra, Mulgrew, Anya, Bannan, Martin, S Fletcher, Mcarthur. 

Time for us to follow the lead of the Welsh about ten years ago and play the young players. Guys like Ramsey for them have about 60 caps and are mid 20s.

Berra and Mulgrew will still be around as there's little depth or quality at CB.

Grant Hanley will get called up again if he starts playing week in week out but he's a clogger and worse than those two.

Central midfield is different as there is depth there and also young players starting to stake a claim so you could get away with a retirement or two.

7 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Berra and Mulgrew will still be around as there's little depth or quality at CB.

Grant Hanley will get called up again if he starts playing week in week out but he's a clogger and worse than those two.

Central midfield is different as there is depth there and also young players starting to stake a claim so you could get away with a retirement or two.

There is no depth because we don't try anyone else in there. As I said Liam Lindsay should be getting a look in. Ralston at Celtic if he keeps playing. If Mccrorie at Rangers keeps getting first team games then he should be getting a look as should McKenna at Aberdeen. We need to give these guys a chance and not just suffer Berra etc again.

3 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

There is no depth because we don't try anyone else in there. As I said Liam Lindsay should be getting a look in. Ralston at Celtic if he keeps playing. If Mccrorie at Rangers keeps getting first team games then he should be getting a look as should McKenna at Aberdeen. We need to give these guys a chance and not just suffer Berra etc again.

Ralston, mcrorie and McKenna?  I hadn't heard of them before the start of the season.  Lots of guys like that come and go... we need sustained performances over a season or two before they get in.  Berra and mulgrew are the best we have unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

Said this on another thread, see how these three develop over the season and give them a chance in end of season friendlies.

Didnt realise Liam Lindsay was playing for Barnsley regularly, he should be getting a call up. Murray Wallace at Scunny too. 

John Souttar and Mikey Devlin the only other two in the SPFL I can think of. 

Will only know if they are good enough if they're given a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Manno said:

Said this on another thread, see how these three develop over the season and give them a chance in end of season friendlies.

Didnt realise Liam Lindsay was playing for Barnsley regularly, he should be getting a call up. Murray Wallace at Scunny too. 

John Souttar is a country mile away from being a Scotland centre half.  He's not good enough for hearts never mind Scotland.  Way too inconsistent.

3 minutes ago, Manno said:

Exactly. My point is that by the time these next qualifiers come around if these guys have been playing regularly then they should be getting tested out in the friendlies to see if they are ready. Rather than us handing out caps like sweeties to Berra then all of a sudden we have to chuck someone in the deep end. Them playing regularly and gaining experience of playing internationals will bring them on. 

I keep bringing it up but if you look at the Welsh team just now they are all similar in age and have mountains of games between them.

I'm not disagreeing.  If these guys stand out in their positions throughout the season at a good level they should be considered.  The only one that really has a chance of doing is ralston - if he plays well in the CL games he should get a chance.  It's one thing looking like the man against Partick Thistle... different if you are playing Spain.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

I'm not disagreeing.  If these guys stand out in their positions throughout the season at a good level they should be considered.  The only one that really has a chance of doing is ralston - if he plays well in the CL games he should get a chance.  It's one thing looking like the man against Partick Thistle... different if you are playing Spain.

Aye fair enough there is a massive difference. But who's to say that these boys won't be upto it against international teams if we give them a chance.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Works for Forrest!