Maybe its our fault? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Maybe its our fault?

deso1

We seem to accept failure and continued failure.

We keep turning up, We keep paying through the nose.

When does it stop?

Also............the gibralter farce from last campaign and the ridiculous freed from desire pish the other night.

I was ecstatic like everyone else(and really do understand the need to make the most of our little victories)........... but a 1-0 home win, when we've qualified for nothing, I actually cringed at the youtube vids.

My exact thoughts leaving the stadium was 'they'll get an ovation when they qualify for something'.

I know what you mean but what's the alternative to "accepting failure"? Only support people/sports with a chance of winning - Andy Murray, Chris Hoy etc?

For most teams, most tournaments end in failure. Do we criticise Slovenian, Slovakian and Lithuanian fans for supporting their sides?

But if as I think maybe you mean "applauding failure", then I see what you mean.

But then again Thursday was such a rare positive home finale, it would be surprising if the fans deliberately stayed silent to somehow motivate the players that way?

5 minutes ago, exile said:

I know what you mean but what's the alternative to "accepting failure"? Only support people/sports with a chance of winning - Andy Murray, Chris Hoy etc?

For most teams, most tournaments end in failure. Do we criticise Slovenian, Slovakian and Lithuanian fans for supporting their sides?

But if as I think maybe you mean "applauding failure", then I see what you mean.

But then again Thursday was such a rare positive home finale, it would be surprising if the fans deliberately stayed silent to somehow motivate the players that way?

They probably don't pay an extortionate membership fee for the honour, or 60quid for an England ticket. Also Slovenia/Lithuania haven't watched their national sport descend from a decent level to total failure.

We seem to accept that the sfa are untouchable...........without us they don't have a product........WE should have the power, not them.

4 minutes ago, deso1 said:

They probably don't pay an extortionate membership fee for the honour, or 60quid for an England ticket. Also Slovenia/Lithuania haven't watched their national sport descend from a decent level to total failure.

We seem to accept that the sfa are untouchable...........without us they don't have a product........WE should have the power, not them.

Ok, but what to do about it?  How to oust the SFA? or hit the SFA without harming the national team?

Oh I don't know, maybe dnt buy memberships/programs/scarfs/tickets etc.............cant harm the team for 12months now........or maybe actually protest against them, whats the actual point of atac..............YES men for the sfa.

36 minutes ago, deso1 said:

We seem to accept failure and continued failure.

We keep turning up, We keep paying through the nose.

When does it stop?

Also............the gibralter farce from last campaign and the ridiculous freed from desire pish the other night.

I was ecstatic like everyone else(and really do understand the need to make the most of our little victories)........... but a 1-0 home win, when we've qualified for nothing, I actually cringed at the youtube vids.

My exact thoughts leaving the stadium was 'they'll get an ovation when they qualify for something'.

If we qualified for every tournament, would you be happy?  I bet you wouldn't, because once we got there and didn't get out the group you would see that as failure.   I was lucky enough to witness scotland play at major tournaments where we derided the team for just that.  Football fans are never content.  The reality is that we are a wee diddy nation with very average players now.  Our professional league is a joke on the scale in international terms.  When we (and I believe that we will soon) qualify for a major tournament it should be seen as a major achievement, as big as anything the international team had done.  That's how far away we are from the glory days.

After going to the games in Metz & Trnava that finished me off. They'll always be a line of folk willing to keep going. Good luck to them.

The Lithuania & Slovenia away games are the first games I've chosen not to go to & I've only been to 1 home game this time.

I'll choose now when I want to go. Its not difficult to get tickets home or away if you try.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

If we qualified for every tournament, would you be happy?  I bet you wouldn't, because once we got there and didn't get out the group you would see that as failure.   I was lucky enough to witness scotland play at major tournaments where we derided the team for just that.  Football fans are never content.  The reality is that we are a wee diddy nation with very average players now.  Our professional league is a joke on the scale in international terms.  When we (and I believe that we will soon) qualify for a major tournament it should be seen as a major achievement, as big as anything the international team had done.  That's how far away we are from the glory days.

Your point? We shouldn't want improved perfomances???? Our professional league is a joke.....?surely its ok for 'a diddy wee nation'?

Well done to n.ireland who qualify for the last major tournament and the playoffs now, even though they are a diddy wee nation hindered by players from our joke of a league and a similar gene pool to us.

1 minute ago, deso1 said:

Your point? We shouldn't want improved perfomances???? Our professional league is a joke.....?surely its ok for 'a diddy wee nation'?

Well done to n.ireland who qualify for the last major tournament and the playoffs now, even though they are a diddy wee nation hindered by players from our joke of a league and a similar gene pool to us.

Yes we should.  I think this year has improved in terms of performance and results.  Losing brown and Morrison  was a major blow.  I think we would beat NI over two legs.  

16 minutes ago, deso1 said:

Oh I don't know, maybe dnt buy memberships/programs/scarfs/tickets etc.............cant harm the team for 12months now........or maybe actually protest against them, whats the actual point of atac..............YES men for the sfa.

I'm afraid I can't think of anything positive right now.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Yes we should.  I think this year has improved in terms of performance and results.  Losing brown and Morrison  was a major blow.  I think we would beat NI over two legs.  

Only as good as our last game.................so improvement has been and gone. Losing Brown and Armstrong was a disaster.....but manager is simply too stubborn.

Just now, deso1 said:

Only as good as our last game.................so improvement has been and gone. Losing Brown and Armstrong was a disaster.....but manager is simply too stubborn.

We played poorly tonight but you can't say that all progress has been lost.  We are a better team this year.

Due to my own finances  (no pay rise at all for 5 years) i simply cannot afford to travel now. I did get up to maximum 10 away points but now i haven't even renewed my passport since it expired.

And it has always annoyed me that giving support at home games counted zero points. Home games plus the travel to them (whether from near or far) is also a major expense for fans, particularly with the tkt prices the SFA charge.

I have kept up my membership for at least 15 years but think i can't manage to renew again. If it was say £5 per year then yes maybe. £10 per year should  be the absolute maximum. 

Then give credit for going to Hampden each time plus higher points for away games. Plus make the points last longer than they do now. They expire too quickly.

Now, as for how the SFA itself is run....i think that needs a whole thesis, and likewise Scottish football in general.  It's fair to say though that we will all agree that things are somewhere between not good enough and dire.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

We played poorly tonight but you can't say that all progress has been lost.  We are a better team this year.

Its the same performance from Georgia away/Poland home/ lithuania home.............so where is the improvement............Its almost identical (including the good results)to the last campaign.

5 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Due to my own finances  (no pay rise at all for 5 years) i simply cannot afford to travel now. I did get up to maximum 10 away points but now i haven't even renewed my passport since it expired.

And it has always annoyed me that giving support at home games counted zero points. Home games plus the travel to them (whether from near or far) is also a major expense for fans, particularly with the tkt prices the SFA charge.

I have kept up my membership for at least 15 years but think i can't manage to renew again. If it was say £5 per year then yes maybe. £10 per year should  be the absolute maximum. 

Then give credit for going to Hampden each time plus higher points for away games. Plus make the points last longer than they do now. They expire too quickly.

Now, as for how the SFA itself is run....i think that needs a whole thesis, and likewise Scottish football in general.  It's fair to say though that we will all agree that things are somewhere between not good enough and dire.

Agreed.

Just now, kumnio said:

Happy clappers, the people who chanted after Gibraltar, people accepting failure time after time. 

I’m  sorry, but these people are to blame, the SFA are spineless tosser, and these people let them away with it

Agreed

Not sure why you want to.punish the SFA. We do not qualify because we are not good enough. We have declined over 40 years with a large part of that being other countries have got better.

The SFA encourage youth and have the regional schools.  However its up to clubs to improve their youth philosophy and us as fans and people to improve, develop and encourage youth football and our broader football culture in our domestic clubs.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

What a self indulgent wanky thread ?

Perfect TAMB thread then ?

12 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

The improvement is in beating Lithuania and Slovakia.  

Did we not take 4pts off republic last time(Slovakia)? and unbeaten v Poland(Slovenia)? and 2 decent perfomances v Germany(England)..... and beat Georgia at home............so again I ask where is the improvement