Phillips - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Phillips

GaryWood34

18 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Why has Phillips survived the regime change.? 

He was total crap for 95% of the matches he played for us and seemed to have an attitude problem.

No doubt someone will try to justify his selection by saying that there is nobody else, but he always looks a peripheral figure at West Brom and has only scored one goal this season. 

Surely someone like Boyle at  Hibs would be a better back up to Fraser and Forrest than a disinterested Philips ?

yep - obv. two managers rate him and its the rest of us who are wrong.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And his club managers and team supporters.

The guy can play, but hasn't for us. In any work place poor management is the problem for poor performance

WBA fans think he is shite as well, go on twitter and you will see. He is absolutely fucking awful.

7 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Why has Phillips survived the regime change.? 

He was total crap for 95% of the matches he played for us and seemed to have an attitude problem.

No doubt someone will try to justify his selection by saying that there is nobody else, but he always looks a peripheral figure at West Brom and has only scored one goal this season. 

Surely someone like Boyle at  Hibs would be a better back up to Fraser and Forrest than a disinterested Philips ?

I would imagine McLeish has seen him play well for his club (and one game for Scotland!) in the past and wants a look at him in training. 

I wouldn’t count the Holland game as MacKay saw fit to play him upfront on his own for reasons best known to himself so let’s remember that he has had one decent game and two dodgy ones in the last 3 competitive games. 

In all honesty I don’t see him playing a big part in the next campaign but I don’t have a problem with McLeish checking him out in these friendlies. 

Maybe he has potential not well realised. I do happen to agree that for a winger/forward he is far too ineffectual to be included - same reason I'm not convinced Forrest should still be in the squad. From what I've seen of West Brom he seems to put in similar performances.

Could he be more use in another position? Perhaps. Maybe he has defensive qualities that aren't quite realised for example. Good big physical body to have in the team if he can switch around.

He was a very good player for Blackpool a few years ago.

Struggled at QPR.

He has had good games for West Brom. I went to watch them play Arsenal on NYE and he had a decent game that day.

He's struggled recently like they all have.

Could be just as simple as he's one of about five scots playing week in week out in the premier league so McLeish probably thinks it makes sense to include them and then assess.

12 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He was a very good player for Blackpool a few years ago.

Struggled at QPR.

He has had good games for West Brom. I went to watch them play Arsenal on NYE and he had a decent game that day.

He's struggled recently like they all have.

Could be just as simple as he's one of about five scots playing week in week out in the premier league so McLeish probably thinks it makes sense to include them and then assess.

Aye I’d imagine that is McLeish’s thinking.

A couple of seasons ago he was flying for West Brom and there were plenty clamouring to get him in our squads. I’m happy for Burke to replace him at club and country soon though.

4 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think Phillips is a bit like Richie, plays well for club, so naturally gets picked. Bang average for us, goes back to club and plays well again, so gets picked. Just one big merry-go-round that countless others have probably done too

Only in Phillips case, from what Ive seen, he doesn't play well for his club either !

9 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Only in Phillips case, from what Ive seen, he doesn't play well for his club either !

Strange that Mcliesh calls up one WBA winger and not the other, at least Burke has potential.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, N4Footsoldier said:

Maybe he has potential not well realised. I do happen to agree that for a winger/forward he is far too ineffectual to be included - same reason I'm not convinced Forrest should still be in the squad. From what I've seen of West Brom he seems to put in similar performances.

Could he be more use in another position? Perhaps. Maybe he has defensive qualities that aren't quite realised for example. Good big physical body to have in the team if he can switch around.

Having watched match of the day and seeing how easily Phillips got beat for Bournemouth's first goal I'm convinced he can't defend for shit!

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Well the winner tonight so regardless of opinion that pretty much guarentees him a spot in September in the squad.

I assume he played upfront looking at the team picked.

He’ll be in the squad if fit but he won’t be playing up front if Griffiths is fit and playing. 

1 minute ago, runningtings said:

I thought he did very well tonight, tucked the goal away superbly from where I was.

He did. He'll give us an extra option up top, which will be important to have with Griffiths' injuries. Whether he'll be ahead of players like McBurnie, Fletcher, Martin and Rhodes as a striking option is to be seen though. He may be an option as the central attacking midfielder if Griffiths is available.