Phillips - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Phillips

GaryWood34

35 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

Was on sky sports news.

something like

"we've equalised and would have won it if Matt had done his job / pulled it back properly"

looked thoroughly pissed off.

He wasn't very complimentary to the defence either!  Can't say I blame him.  The guy scores an absolutely class goal against one of Europe's top goalies and it counts for nothing cos others in the team didn't do their jobs properly or looked like they didn't give a rat's arse.

15 minutes ago, daviebee said:

He wasn't very complimentary to the defence either!  Can't say I blame him.  The guy scores an absolutely class goal against one of Europe's top goalies and it counts for nothing cos others in the team didn't do their jobs properly or looked like they didn't give a rat's arse.

Reminiscent of Larsson after Celtic lost in Seville

Phillips was dreadful tonight.

McArthur was poor (why did he simply watch the 2nd goal roll past him? surely instinct would have had any player at least sticking a leg out to try and stop it going past??)

Bannan did try but needs better players around him. Fletcher has been an excellent servant but is now past it.

And that was our midfield tonight and that is why Slovenia totally ran the middle of the park all night.

57 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Phillips was dreadful tonight.

McArthur was poor (why did he simply watch the 2nd goal roll past him? surely instinct would have had any player at least sticking a leg out to try and stop it going past??)

Bannan did try but needs better players around him. Fletcher has been an excellent servant but is now past it.

And that was our midfield tonight and that is why Slovenia totally ran the middle of the park all night.

Plus they had an extra man in there.

It was always going to be a tough ask, these are squad players after all.

No one seems to really know who the Slovenia players are but their strongest area by a long way is midfield, Illic is a really good player in Seria A and him and Kurtic played for Atalanta who battered Everton recently. They didn't even call up Kevin Kampl who's a good Bundesliga player as he's in dispute with their coach.

Playing Seria A regulars is a bit of a step up from the SPL or championship.

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

One of the big questions before tonight was how we could cope with 180 minutes in 3 days, and how we could combat the fatigue we've seen in previous double headers.

So for the guy, who was clearly done in after 40 minutes on Thursday to get another 140 minutes is beyond me!!!

I get he has the physicality we lack in midfield, but you could've dragged Gary O'Connor or Lee McCulloch out of retirement and got what Phillips gave tonight.

He had a good 1st 30 minutes on Thursday and had a belter of a Monday night game for WBA about a year ago.

:lol:

11 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Should read what I posted. I said he underwhelmed in both qualifiers. He did play well in the previous double header in September although against weaker teams.

I just said why Strachan picks.

False. He played well in Lithuania but he was utter dog shit vs Malta. 

11 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

He starts regularly for a solid mid table prem team. Frequently assists and pops up with goals aswell.

That's why he's in the squad as he plays week in week out at a higher level than half the squad.

I guess that maybe shows that playing the EPL doesn't really mean that much after all... :o

29 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Embarrassingly, his height is the reason Strachan picks him. 

29 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Embarrassingly, his height is the reason Strachan picks him. 

statistically most teams that qualify have above a certain average height

so that's the reason to pick Phillips and leave out, for a year and a half, a 40 goal a season striker

then when you finally do pick him, make up that he's become a new player /twin or whatever the f*ck he said

13 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Our worst player Thursday night and he looked gubbed by half time, so logically Strachan gives him a start in our biggest game in years. 

The bit in bold is the real problem, he actually started ok on Thursday, but appeared to be running on empty by 40 minutes. Yet he played the rest of the game and then the full 90 last night.

Its all very well being 6’ 3” but if you’re too tired/lazy to Put in a challenge, it doesn’t really matter.

16 hours ago, Mox said:

To pick on Phillips is farcical, there were 10 others on the park who were just as useless although the real issue is the manager. I've no doubt as well that Phillips has taken a harder time on here than others as a result of his place of birth which is utterly shameful.

Out of order comment mate. The quality just isn't there. It's was obvious against Lithuania/Malta. Blindspot from strachan I agree.

Phillips was the worst player last night, by an absolute country mile, he was abysmal, didn’t even look interested.  After the game he was the first to shuffle off the park while the others were applauding the away fans. 

4 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Lewis Morgan at St. Mirren would do a far better job that this joker. Phillips is an absolute waste of space - but hey! at least he's tall!

Now I think about - Johnny Russell as well. (strange how he's so far out the picture, especially given he plays in Strachan's favourite division)

1 hour ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Now I think about - Johnny Russell as well. (strange how he's so far out the picture, especially given he plays in Strachan's favourite division)

Strachan doesn’t like him because he’s got too many tattoos.

• 5 months later...

Why has Phillips survived the regime change.? 

He was total crap for 95% of the matches he played for us and seemed to have an attitude problem.

No doubt someone will try to justify his selection by saying that there is nobody else, but he always looks a peripheral figure at West Brom and has only scored one goal this season. 

Surely someone like Boyle at  Hibs would be a better back up to Fraser and Forrest than a disinterested Philips ?