How do we approach tomorrows game? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How do we approach tomorrows game?

northernscum

They obviously have a decent home record but from what I remember from the game at Hampden, they looked vunerable at corners, Armstrong and Griffiths caused them all kinds of problems. Griffiths should have had 2 or 3 before going off injured. We need someone to run at them the way Armstrong did and we need the 2 wide players to play well. Griffiths needs to take his chances too. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

It is however spot on. If Gordon comes out with anything other than one change to the side I along with plenty others will be taken aback.

We need to be on the front foot. We’ll need 2 to win, at least 2 to win. 

We won’t get that from Thursdays line up.

What makes you think we’ll need two to win? If you take out their games against Lithuania and Malta, Slovenia have scored one goal. One. 

Thats two games against England,  two games against Slovakia and  one game against us. They have scored one goal in those five games. They don’t concede a lot but they are hardly free scoring.

We’ve also had four clean sheets on our last five games.

I’d hardly say they were guaranteed to score tomorrow. 

What are you basing this amazing insight on?

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

What makes you think we’ll need two to win? If you take out their games against Lithuania and Malta, Slovenia have scored one goal. One. 

Thats two games against England,  two games against Slovakia and  one game against us. They have scored one goal in those five games. They don’t concede a lot but they are hardly free scoring.

We’ve also had four clean sheets on our last five games.

I’d hardly say they were guaranteed to score tomorrow. 

What are you basing this amazing insight on?

The fact that we are not as good as many of the delusional soles on her think. Is that ok?

7 minutes ago, macy37 said:

The fact that we are not as good as many of the delusional soles on her think. Is that ok?

That doesn't answer the question. You are coming across like you don't like your opinions being questioned. All the above poster did was ask why you have come to your opinion, that person then offered some pretty solid info to counter your opinion. 

I appreciate your opinion in that you don't think Scotland can win but nobody here is delusional, everyone know exactly where Scotland stand in international football. Scotland has some momentum going so it's not impossible to think we can win, it will be hard but it can be done.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

That doesn't answer the question. You are coming across like you don't like your opinions being questioned. All the above poster did was ask why you have come to your opinion, that person then offered some pretty solid info to counter your opinion. 

I appreciate your opinion in that you don't think Scotland can win but nobody here is delusional, everyone know exactly where Scotland stand in international football. Scotland has some momentum going so it's not impossible to think we can win, it will be hard but it can be done.

Not at all it’s my opinion that our defence won’t hold out and not concede at least one and more than likely more than one.

Based on the fact that they are not great. Clean sheets against Malta? Lithuania? Ffs come on. 

2 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Not at all it’s my opinion that our defence won’t hold out and not concede at least one and more than likely more than one.

Based on the fact that they are not great. Clean sheets against Malta? Lithuania? Ffs come on. 

The same defence all season held out against tonight's opponents and Slovakia. I'm not saying we will win but it's not the guaranteed loss you have been telling everyone it is. Are you afraid to get your hopes up? Is that the issue?

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

The same defence all season held out against tonight's opponents and Slovakia. I'm not saying we will win but it's not the guaranteed loss you have been telling everyone it is. Are you afraid to get your hopes up? Is that the issue?

Hey possibly, been there done that far too often!

Its been that bad that I’d see a play off spot as a massive achievement. I suppose it actually is however. ???

11 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

High tempo start, get in their faces, press the ball, they are out so might not fancy it, especially if we get an early goal. 

Absolutely. Early goal for us could see Slovenia collapse. Re people worried about Scotland being tired, Slovenia should also be tired from their match at Wembley 

3 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Re people worried about Scotland being tired, Slovenia should also be tired from their match at Wembley 

It'll be interesting to see if Slovenia bring a lot of fresh legs into the team. I'd be tempted to make a couple of changes to our midfield for that reason.

Edited by Toepoke

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

It'll be interesting to see if Slovenia bring a lot of fresh legs into the team. I'd be tempted to make a couple of changes to our midfield for that reason.

Yeah, at least one of their players from Thursday is suspended. Freshening up the midfield would be sensible but on the other hand it’s not the time to experiment. Mcarthur go start perhaps. Thought he was decent in Lithuania 

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Not really, no. 

You’re entitled to your opinion of course but it’s probably best not to state it as if it’s fact. 

You’re going to look like a prized bellend tonight if we win. Especially if it’s 0–1. 

2 hours ago, Bino's said:

Slovenia have not conceded a goal at home in this campaign

a griff free kick or Berra header will do for 1-0

Slovenia not conceding at home in 4 games (two of them were against Lithuania and Malta) doesn’t really concern me that much. Records are there to be broken and their defence isn’t that good. It’s not as if we’re playing Italy from a few years back. We’ve only conceded 3 at home ourselves in 5 games and our central defence is a constant worry  

What’s concerning me more is that all the games between Scotland, Slovenia and Slovakia have resulted in a 1-0 home win.

I suppose the fact that Slovenia need a miracle to get a playoff might make a difference. I’m hoping we get an early goal and they collapse.  

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

An early goal for us will make me nervous as we have no recent experience of that; do we stick  or twist? Whereas we have recently acquired a new un-Scottish trait of patience. Play with the heid not the heart.

A very good point. If we go 1-0 up reasonably early we could quite easily retreat into our shell and aim to protect what we have - that would be very dangerous and invite trouble and pressure that our defence may not be able to cope with.

The key issues on this match will be the mindsets of each team. Will Slovenia have the stomach for a fight given that they are all but out? Will our players freeze on the big occasion and not really get our teeth into the game? I don't think the latter will happen that is more of my pre-match nerves kicking in.

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

An early goal for us will make me nervous as we have no recent experience of that; do we stick  or twist? Whereas we have recently acquired a new un-Scottish trait of patience. Play with the heid not the heart.

We went a goal up early against Lithuania. Ok so Slovenia are a better team but it would still have been easy to sit back and defend our early lead but we didn’t. 

24 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Slovenia not conceding at home in 4 games (two of them were against Lithuania and Malta) doesn’t really concern me that much. Records are there to be broken and their defence isn’t that good. It’s not as if we’re playing Italy from a few years back. We’ve only conceded 3 at home ourselves in 5 games and our central defence is a constant worry  

What’s concerning me more is that all the games between Scotland, Slovenia and Slovakia have resulted in a 1-0 home win.

I suppose the fact that Slovenia need a miracle to get a playoff might make a difference. I’m hoping we get an early goal and they collapse.  

Slovakia beat us 3-0 at home, all the ither games have been 1-0 to the home team.

5 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Slovakia beat us 3-0 at home, all the ither games have been 1-0 to the home team.

Yeah I don’t know why I put a score in. I just meant a home win. 

There have actually been very few away wins in the games between the top four sides. I think England beat Slovakia away with a very late goal but that’s it I think. 

Edited by Texas Pete

I'd feel more nervous about our approach to the rest of the game if it was a home game and we scored an early goal. There is much more freedom from the tension of the crowd away from home. With the added bonus of the home support getting peeved.

Christ I wish this fvcking clock would hurry up a bit, the next few hours are going to be unbearable!!