How do we approach tomorrows game? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How do we approach tomorrows game?

northernscum

Right, now we know that a win of any shape or form tomorrow evening gets us a play off place.

Biggest game in donkeys years, fingernails at a critical level

So the big question is, how do we approach the game? Obviously it depends on how Slovenia come out, but do we try to push the game and play it like it was a home game, or sit back more and try to hit them on the break? Oh for an early goal or 2!^?^

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, northernscum said:

Right, now we know that a win of any shape or form tomorrow evening gets us a play off place.

Biggest game in donkeys years, fingernails at a critical level

So the big question is, how do we approach the game? Obviously it depends on how Slovenia come out, but do we try to push the game and play it like it was a home game, or sit back more and try to hit them on the break? Oh for an early goal or 2!^?^

I think we have to come out and try to get after them. We're not the greatest at the back and sitting in will be giving us all palpatations. Think we need to go for it. As we did against them at Hampden. I would love a couple of early goals to settle us down. But I also hope we don't concede and have to chase it.

Edited by GordyA88

8 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

I think we have to come out and try to get after them. We're not the greatest at the back and sitting in will be giving us all palpatations. Think we need to go for it. As we did against them at Hampden. I would love a couple of early goals to settle us down. But I also hope we don't concede and have to chase it.

Aye, that's the way I am looking at it too. We don't want to be daft and go hell for leather from the off, but I don't think that would ever happen anyway. 

From what I have been hearing today we are going to have the majority of fans in the stadium anyway, so if we just treat it like the game was at Hampden. I doubt there will be many, if any, changes to the starting line up.

We should play an attacking line up that is built around being creative, mobile and energetic, but this WGS we are talking about, it will be the same overly cautious 11 as Thursday, I just hope we get away with it again

16 minutes ago, Mox said:

We should play an attacking line up that is built around being creative, mobile and energetic, but this WGS we are talking about, it will be the same overly cautious 11 as Thursday, I just hope we get away with it again

Yaaay! & the prize for todays top motivational speaker goes to........

We destroyed them that night but we both had nothing to play for. Fletcher, quashie and Hartley controlled the game in the middle. 

The starting Martin with griffiths idea someone noted above is no a bad shout actually.

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Same team as Thursday. 

Aye, probably but that has not been the greatest of strategies for double headers recently. The guys seem to be jaded after a high tempo, high stress 1st game and it shows in the 2nd game. We really can't afford to be off the pace at all tomorrow so freshening up the midfield might be the sensible thing. 

Maybe start with Anya, but I doubt he will. We definitely won't see McGregor or Mcginn

13 minutes ago, JECK said:

We destroyed them that night but we both had nothing to play for. Fletcher, quashie and Hartley controlled the game in the middle. 

The starting Martin with griffiths idea someone noted above is no a bad shout actually.

Slovenia don’t really have anything to play for this time either apart from pride.

There’s more chance of Jimmy Hoffa riding Shergar to victory the Derby next year than there is of Slovenia getting a playoff. 

7 minutes ago, northernscum said:

Aye, probably but that has not been the greatest of strategies for double headers recently. The guys seem to be jaded after a high tempo, high stress 1st game and it shows in the 2nd game. We really can't afford to be off the pace at all tomorrow so freshening up the midfield might be the sensible thing. 

Maybe start with Anya, but I doubt he will. We definitely won't see McGregor or Mcginn

I'd be happy with McGregor or McGinn for Bannan. Doubt Strachan will though. Would take Anya coming in for Phillips too. 

34 minutes ago, northernscum said:

Yaaay! & the prize for todays top motivational speaker goes to........

It is however spot on. If Gordon comes out with anything other than one change to the side I along with plenty others will be taken aback.

We need to be on the front foot. We’ll need 2 to win, at least 2 to win. 

We won’t get that from Thursdays line up.

10 minutes ago, northernscum said:

I don’t think the players will have trouble getting up for tomorrow the same way they did against Malta at a half empty Hampden.

This is a huge game and I’m sure the adrenaline will blow away any tiredness left in the legs from Thursday. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think the players will have trouble getting up for tomorrow the same way they did against Malta at a half empty Hampden.

This is a huge game and I’m sure the adrenaline will blow away any tiredness left in the legs from Thursday. 

I hope you are right, because I am pretty sure he will go with the same starting line-up, unless there have been any reactions during todays training.