Iceland - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players playing all over Europe, willing to learn and live in different cultures and to take on board the technical and tactical understanding from abroad and applying it to the national team when required. A team, a national set up and in particular a group of players that our players should be looking to emulate.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:03 AM, sbcmfc said:

Pumped Turkey away too, not sure how strong Turkey are at the moment, but some result regardless.

Probably rather avoid Iceland in play off, so good they will qualify automatically.

Phew, we managed to avoid them in the play-offs...

21 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Phew, we managed to avoid them in the play-offs...

:lol:

Yeah, on 2 counts, at least one I didn’t have in mind...

Could you ever imagine Scotland beating a team like Turkey, away, 3-0?

We’d be fearing the turkey of circa 2002.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

:lol:

Yeah, on 2 counts, at least one I didn’t have in mind...

Could you ever imagine Scotland beating a team like Turkey, away, 3-0?

We’d be fearing the turkey of circa 2002.

We'd have the Daily Record showing "welcome to hell" photographs and constant chat of hostile atmosphere. While Keith jackson would no doubt write a wonderful article laced with references to kebabs and koftes. 

Wha's like us? 

On 10/7/2017 at 6:15 PM, Mox said:

A team, a national set up and in particular a group of players that our players should be looking to emulate.

Yip - Icelands success isn't by chance...
Similar climate to Scotland - even harsher / long windy winters that aren't ideal for developing football players with skill.

10 years ago they spent a load of money building indoor facilities and developing  a proper coaching structure that integrates the game nationwide.
As result they have now have a golden generation....

Magnificent stuff.

Kari had a stonker again, like he did in Turkey too.

The Icelandic team play all over Europe for a mix match of clubs and leagues. They are a unit though, defend well and have a huge amount of belief in themselves. They lost to Finland away in the last round of qualifiers and whilst maybe some were thinking that was it, many believed the team could still pull off a win in Turkey.

It'll be great to experience the atmosphere again like in the Euros, but whilst I am happy and hope they do well, almost always I´m left thinking about how pathetic we truly are compared to them, as a nation.

I remember when they qualified for the Euros 2 years ago many said it was a one off

Even when some pointed out what they actually did to get to where they are why it most likely it wouldnt be it was ignored - particularly by the SFA

Edited by Ally Bongo

On 10/9/2017 at 5:53 AM, Parklife said:

We'd have the Daily Record showing "welcome to hell" photographs and constant chat of hostile atmosphere. While Keith jackson would no doubt write a wonderful article laced with references to kebabs and koftes. 

Wha's like us? 

Not to mention a double page special on Souness planting the flag in the middle of the park.