Draw is enough - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Draw is enough

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Oh hell, right I'm giving up! Head is hurting too much!

:lol: At least you had a couple of minutes of optimism. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Slovakia v Malta game stayed at 0-0 for 60 minutes or so, just to tease us though.:lol:

35 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I've gave myself an aneurysm trying to work out everything. Let's just win tomorrow then take it from there

If Bosnia win tonight we will need to bang in a few goals as well to boost our GD. 

C'mon Belgium.

I have now convinced myself that IF Bosnia beat Belgium AND we beat Slovenia we will go out on GD. I need something to boost my confidence. I might need to have a few pints before the Bosnia game.

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

If news starts to come through of an amazing Maltese performance then we might get 2nd with a draw, highly unlikely though.

I doubt we’d get a playoff if we somehow get second with a draw. 

It will be touch and go with a win as it is. 

If we don’t win and Slovakia beat Malta then they will be very lucky to get a playoff with their points total. 

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

:lol: At least you had a couple of minutes of optimism. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Slovakia v Malta game stayed at 0-0 for 60 minutes or so, just to tease us though.:lol:

:lol: I'm a postie and I was trying to work it out in my head whilst working/walking!

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

If Greece beat Cyprus, a draw won’t be enough, even if we do manage to finish second. However, a win will still do it, as the most amount of point Greece can get in the second placed table is 13, as their last game is against Gibraltar who will finish bottom of that group.

Well, I think so anyway, but im not trawling through all those results again to double check.

33 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

If Greece beat Cyprus, a draw won’t be enough, even if we do manage to finish second. However, a win will still do it, as the most amount of point Greece can get in the second placed table is 13, as their last game is against Gibraltar who will finish bottom of that group.

Well, I think so anyway, but im not trawling through all those results again to double check.

Wish I'd tried harder in maths in school :lol:

39 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

No need to double check. We are guaranteed a playoff if we win. 

Don’t think there’s any point in worrying about what happens if we draw as Slovakia will not fail to beat Malta.

In the unlikely event Malta do scrape a draw and we draw with Slovenia then we can’t really have any complaints if we end up as the worst runner up. 

We should have beaten Lithuania at home and we’d be in the playoffs already. 

Just to clarify this. As things stand If we both draw tomorrow we will be out.

Greece are beating Cyprus and their last game is home to Gibraltar. They would finish on 19 points and we would be on 18. So we would be the worst 2nd place team.

We have to win no matter what.

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

No need to double check. We are guaranteed a playoff if we win. 

Don’t think there’s any point in worrying about what happens if we draw as Slovakia will not fail to beat Malta.

In the unlikely event Malta do scrape a draw and we draw with Slovenia then we can’t really have any complaints if we end up as the worst runner up. 

We should have beaten Lithuania at home and we’d be in the playoffs already. 

That's the annoying thing for me. Lithuania at home and the England game. If we had won either a draw would be enough tomorrow. It's win or bust now. No point worrying about anything else.

11 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

That's the annoying thing for me. Lithuania at home and the England game. If we had won either a draw would be enough tomorrow. It's win or bust now. No point worrying about anything else.

If we had won either we wouldn’t even need a draw tomorrow for second place. Ok so a defeat tomorrow might not have been enough for a playoff but we’d be in a much better position. 

Even worse is if we had won both, we would be on the same points as England with an outside chance of winning the group tomorrow. 

We didn’t though do let’s just win this game tomorrow and take our chances in the playoffs. 

17 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

Swings and roundabouts, we could have beaten Lithuania and England but drawn with Slovenia and Slovakia. In terms of late luck we're probably up at the moment.

16 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Swings and roundabouts, we could have beaten Lithuania and England but drawn with Slovenia and Slovakia. In terms of late luck we're probably up at the moment.

Very true. 

We should remember that if it wasn’t for a very late own goal on Thursday we would be as good as out now. 

We could also have lost to England and Lithuania at Hampden. 

Edited by Texas Pete

3 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Just to clarify this. As things stand If we both draw tomorrow we will be out.

Greece are beating Cyprus and their last game is home to Gibraltar. They would finish on 19 points and we would be on 18. So we would be the worst 2nd place team.

We have to win no matter what.

So are slovakia and Slovenia officially out? 

10 minutes ago, todd said:

So are slovakia and Slovenia officially out? 

Not technically

Slovenia would need to beat us and Slovakia would have to lose to Malta

edit - even then they would lose out on best second place teams

Slovakia too would probably lose out on that score if Slovenia beat us

Edited by Ally Bongo