Team for Slovenia - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Slovenia

GordyA88

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

we may well need to freshen but other than McArthur the midfield replacements have never played a big game or never played at all

so can't see him starting them

McGregor has played plenty of big games. Just not for Scotland. 

You’re probably right that they won’t start though. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I was at the game and thought he did OK. Was hardly fantastic but solid enough. If it was up to me, McGinn or McGregor should start tomorrow though as I think we’ll need more than an average Bannan to unlock Slovenia’s defence. Strachan will decide though and if we get the win then he’ll have made the right choice.

Phillips was the weak link in midfield for me. He was as slow as a week in Low Moss. 

I have a feeling Strachan will drop Phillips but I’m not sure who he’ll replace him with if he does. 

Phillips is up and down form wise, but he's not slow. I'd play him because he can carry the ball up the park without getting knocked off the ball, and away from home he might play with a bit more freedom. Forrest gets a lot of stick but how many throw ins does he win by running 6 yards and getting tackled? It might be frustrating but overall it's quite effective. Bannan had a decent second half but I'd maybe go for McGinn as he'll get up and down for counterattacks and will win possession. 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Phillips is up and down form wise, but he's not slow. I'd play him because he can carry the ball up the park without getting knocked off the ball, and away from home he might play with a bit more freedom. Forrest gets a lot of stick but how many throw ins does he win by running 6 yards and getting tackled? It might be frustrating but overall it's quite effective. Bannan had a decent second half but I'd maybe go for McGinn as he'll get up and down for counterattacks and will win possession. 

I agree that Phillips isn’t normally a slow player. 

He was pretty pedestrian on Thursday night though. 

I think we’ll need plenty of pace as we may be playing on the counter quite a lot depending on whether Slovenia can be bothered or not. 

I wouldn’t have a problem if Forrest keeps his place. 

15 hours ago, Manno said:

For all his faults, Steven Whittaker is a natural right full back and is in the squad. Bombs are at times but experience could be useful. 

Would love to see Tierney and Robertson play together on the left. Not sure Whittaker is the man to allow this, but that pair up and down the left, probably with Robertson more advanced the majority of the time, would be some attacking threat. 

Are there any injury concerns? Andy Robertson took a blow to his wrist and obviously Darren Fletcher thought his ear was hanging off. Would be interesting to know how often we’ve won a home then away double header - with Slovenia being forced to make at least two changes then I’d be tempted to freshen up our side too.

29 minutes ago, Dandydon said:

Are there any injury concerns? Andy Robertson took a blow to his wrist and obviously Darren Fletcher thought his ear was hanging off. Would be interesting to know how often we’ve won a home then away double header - with Slovenia being forced to make at least two changes then I’d be tempted to freshen up our side too.

Totally agree . Back in 2007 when we beat France at home on the Saturday we went out to Ukraine and lost . Alex McLeish said that the players had nothing left in the legs after 60 to 70 mins. I don't think it would weaken the team to rest Phillips , Bannon or Forrest .

Slovenia must be pretty knackered as well after Wembley .

I would strongly consider starting two strikers. Martin and Griffiths up front. A line-up like this:-

Craig Gordon

Kieran Tierney.......Christophe Berra......Charlie Mulgrew.....Andrew Robertson

James Forrest.....Darren Fletcher.....James Morrison.....Matt Phillips

.............Chris Martin...........Leigh Griffiths.............

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would strongly consider starting two strikers. Martin and Griffiths up front. A line-up like this:-

Craig Gordon

Kieran Tierney.......Christophe Berra......Charlie Mulgrew.....Andrew Robertson

James Forrest.....Darren Fletcher.....James Morrison.....Matt Phillips

.............Chris Martin...........Leigh Griffiths.............

Interesting. 

If Strachan starts a game as big as this, away from home, with two strikers I’ll be astounded though. 

He’ll set up the same way he did in most of our other away matches in this campaign I think and use your formation if we are losing/drawing with 20 minutes to go. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Interesting. 

If Strachan starts a game as big as this, away from home, with two strikers I’ll be astounded though. 

He’ll set up the same way he did in most of our other away matches in this campaign I think and use your formation if we are losing/drawing with 20 minutes to go. 

Oh yes I agree. The team I put up is how I'd consider going about getting the win today. The side Strachan will start with will be close to identical to the other night. I do agree with other posters that perhaps a pair of fresh legs or two would be welcome. Problem is McGregor and McGinn would be severley dropped in at the deep end in Scotland's biggest match for a decade.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Oh yes I agree. The team I put up is how I'd consider going about getting the win today. The side Strachan will start with will be close to identical to the other night. I do agree with other posters that perhaps a pair of fresh legs or two would be welcome. Problem is McGregor and McGinn would be severley dropped in at the deep end in Scotland's biggest match for a decade.

I don’t think it would faze McGregor as he has played in big games for Celtic but McGinn would worry me. Less risk in midfield than putting an unknown entity in central defence or something though. 

If Strachan does change things up and we lose/draw, people will only moan at him for not going with the same lineup that played pretty damn well against Slovakia. He’s potentially on a hiding to nothing but this is his chance to show everyone that he’s the right man for the job.  

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think it would faze McGregor as he has played in big games for Celtic but McGinn would worry me. Less risk in midfield than putting an unknown entity in central defence or something though. 

If Strachan does change things up and we lose/draw, people will only moan at him for not going with the same lineup that played pretty damn well against Slovakia. He’s potentially on a hiding to nothing but this is his chance to show everyone that he’s the right man for the job.  

Strachan wont change a thing today...and why should he ?>?

Am sure Strachan will call it right unless he picks Anya who's style of play does not suit 90 minutes. Hope Bannan retains his place as the speed at which he releases the ball is a street ahead of most of our team. Been a massive fan of Morrisons over the years but I dont think he is the player he used to be.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Am sure Strachan will call it right unless he picks Anya who's style of play does not suit 90 minutes. Hope Bannan retains his place as the speed at which he releases the ball is a street ahead of most of our team. Been a massive fan of Morrisons over the years but I dont think he is the player he used to be.

The other night Morrison looked off the pace in the first half but credit to him he got better in the second half and began to get involved.

On 07/10/2017 at 3:08 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Relying on the old guard to get a result can work at home (just) but not so much on the road

Bannan and Morrison are powder puff and if they both start i fear the worst

As as been previously stated we got to where we were in spite of Strachan

Far too many players selected that are finished and were finished years ago

More humiliation

Wales can go to Georgia without Bale and comfortably get a result 

When we go to these places we are utter shite