Team for Slovenia - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Slovenia

GordyA88

Right lads going through the other threads some good discussions on this. What team would we play on Sunday. Would we make any changes? And what do we think Strachan will go with? 

I'd be tempted to put tierney to left back and Robertson wide left as I think he's wasted at right back. 

I would freshen up the midfield as well. I don't know if both Mcginn and McGregor should or would come in but I think one at least for some fresh younger legs.

My team would be 

Gordon 

Anya berra mulgrew Tierney 

MacArthur Mcginn 

Phillips/Fraser Morrison Robertson 

Griffiths 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, The Black Bra said:

I like the idea of Tierney at LB and Robertson at LM but it's untested, should we do it in such a big game? Could be the future though, maybe when Paterson is back and playing well.

Maybe a slight risk but would like to think Robertson would be mindful of his defensive duties playing there and Tierney and him could overlap and be able to cover one another? Maybe something to look at after the campaign but I wouldn't be worried if he tried it on Sunday.

I think Strachen has to freshen it up and make some changes. I hope he has learnt from the Malta game where he selected the same 11 from the Lithuania game a couple of days before we look tired and lacked that drive and energy which we will need in this game.  

For me Goalie, Defense and Striker should stay the same they are clearly the best by a distance in their respective positions. Its the midfield 5 where the changes of fresh legs should be made and you have 5 replacements in the squad you could have

McArtur in for Fletch

McGinn in for Morrison

McGregor in for Bannan

Fraser in for Forrest

Snodgrass in for Phillips

I would go for

Gordon

Robertson   Berra   Mulgrew   Tierney

McArthur   Morrison

Phillips     McGinn      Fraser 

Griff 

15 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

I like the idea of Tierney at LB and Robertson at LM but it's untested, should we do it in such a big game? Could be the future though, maybe when Paterson is back and playing well.

Did we not do that against England at Hampden, with Anya as the other full back?  

So what was everyone's opinion of Bannan and Fletch last night?2 have certainly come in for stick the last couple of years. I thought both kept things ticking over really, nothing spectacular. Bannans one two with Martin and the blocked shot was almost excellent from bannan. Both 7 out of 10 i thought and deserve to keep their places. Always a fine line between a good performance and poor with these 2 at the minute.

24 minutes ago, JECK said:

So what was everyone's opinion of Bannan and Fletch last night?2 have certainly come in for stick the last couple of years. I thought both kept things ticking over really, nothing spectacular. Bannans one two with Martin and the blocked shot was almost excellent from bannan. Both 7 out of 10 i thought and deserve to keep their places. Always a fine line between a good performance and poor with these 2 at the minute.

Both of them were decent without being spectacular. 

Fletcher was his usual slow self but I wouldn’t expect anything different from him. 

I think it’s time to give McGinn or McGregor a chance. We’re going to need creative players to unlock the Slovenian defence on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, JECK said:

I thought bannan had some good touches and made a few daring runs that almost came off. 

Fletcher....meh. I would like to see him replaced on Sunday with somebody who can push us forward and win the game. At his best fletcher slows the game down and stops you losing. Not what we’re looking for this time.

We need to address what we lacked on Thursday which for me was a lack of drive & goal threat in centre midfield. The coaches really need to think hard about the fitness of the players from Thursday and conclude McGinn or McArthur need to start, with McGregor providing the goal threat. Slovenia are out; we need energy and fight to remind them not to bother. 

42 minutes ago, deso1 said:

I thought Fletcher was sensational for what its worth. Bannan is useless.

Bannan was a man down in the first half, like a wee boy lost.  Thought he came on to a game in the last 30 minutes though.

Fletch slotted in like he'd never been away, lacks the energy of old but still an absolutely able replacement for Brown.

Fletcher has to start. Unspectacular but we need his experience especially with Brown missing.

keep the back five the same. Striker stays the same. 

That leaves four positions that Strachan can use to freshen the side up but I suspect he may well go with the same side.

3 minutes ago, Ronto1 said:

Fletcher has to start. Unspectacular but we need his experience especially with Brown missing.

keep the back five the same. Striker stays the same. 

That leaves four positions that Strachan can use to freshen the side up but I suspect he may well go with the same side.

I agree with all of that.

Fletcher was outstanding last night. He was such a leader, giving the fact we thought brown being out was the end of the earth. Even bleed for the team and made them stay out after full time to hear the fans.

Fletch is one of the first names, i would drop phillips, bannon before him

Gordon

KT Berra Mulgrew Robertson

Fletcher Morrison

Forrest Mcgregor Griffiths

Martin

Edited by jamboman

Gordon

Tierney.....Berra.....Mulgrew....Robertson 

Fletcher......McArthur

Forrest.....McGregor......Anya/Phillips

Griffiths

If still 0-0 at half time, subs need to be used efficiently! No time for pandering about, its do or die now! Be brave, go three at the back if need be and be more attacking! However it's Strachan so everything will be done 10 minutes too late! 

Would love to see McGinn in there but feel this game is too highly pressured for him - personally feel like it would be throwing him into the deep end to play him from the start! 

McGregor possibly the same however, he's played in Champions League nights for Celtic so I trust him. Also, one mistake inside our half from a CM like McGinn could be costly. 

Edited by MikeyGC

11 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Gordon

KT...Berra...Mulgrew...Robertson

McArthur

Forrest...McGregor...Morrison...Phillips

Griffiths

I'll change my mind a few times before Sunday. 

Swap McArthur for Fletcher and Morrison for McGinn and I'd take that

I wouldn't make more than say three changes, and maybe just one new guy on from the start. That should be enough to freshen things up and if that's not working then get the subs on sufficiently early, get the second new guy on early in the second half.

I'd have thought having someone with the experience, commitment and winning mentality of Fletcher must be very important even if we don't see his influence in terms of movement on the pitch. I think he said the other day how, having been in a club famous for getting late goals gives you that extra self belief. Sure take him off if he's tiring but if we're to have one slower player let it be Fletcher; balance him with a fast new guy.

Can folk tell me what Fletcher did on Thursday to help us win the game that convinces them he’s a must-start? I am struggling. 

Preferably something tangible that will convince me (tackles won, opportunities created etc) rather than a mythical presence that inspires us to victory by the magic of Christmas past alone. If the magic was real then It would have inspired us to a win vs Lithuania and something other than a 3-0 capitulation in Slovakia.

I have an open mind. But in my view we need to move forward at pace vs Slovenia (as we did against them at hampden) and cant see how fletcher helps us move forward, let alone at pace.

We absolutely dominated them at hampden with an attacking midfield. We should set out to do the same again. 

Fletcher keeps the ball moving, especially from side to side. He was very effective on Thursday at getting it wide quickly so we could use space to get balls into the box. He's lost a bit of pace and not particularly aggressive but we need that ball retention. How many times are we frustrated at nothing balls getting fired forward for the likes of S Fletcher to challenge for ? I prefer this style of getting the ball wide as much as possible. Plays to our strengths in wide areas and gives time for support to arrive into the box as well. To do this, however, we need a Brown or a Fletcher type to 'recycle' possession until a clear forward pass or cross can be manufactured. It takes patience, from the fans as well as the players. Tonking it long to a big target only works if Joe Jordan is waiting for it.

Haha I knew asking about fletcher and bannan would provoke these differing opinions. Especially re fletcher - the guy is pure marmite- folk have totally different perceptions of how he performs in almost all Scotland games he plays. Its like folk are watching different games.

Edited by JECK