Play off table - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play off table

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

All correct. Also Norway beating N.Ireland or Romania winning in Denmark. And the rank outsider Luxembourg winning in Sweden...

Surely at least one of those will happen. 

I think I’ll put all the results needed to go against us on a coupon just to make sure one of them doesn’t happen. At least I’ll win a few bob if we do win on Sunday and miss out on a playoff. :lol:

Getting Italy(if we beat Slovenia) in the playoff isn't actually a bad shout. I was randomly at the Italy v Israel game last month and Italy are in complete disarray at the moment and I would seriously fancy Scotland against them. Obviously there are better draws to be had though haha!

16 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Getting Italy(if we beat Slovenia) in the playoff isn't actually a bad shout. I was randomly at the Italy v Israel game last month and Italy are in complete disarray at the moment and I would seriously fancy Scotland against them. Obviously there are better draws to be had though haha!

If Macedonia can hold them to a draw on Italy we can take them. 

Only problem is they would have a month to get their act together and we would no doubt give them too much respect over there and bottle it. 

2 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Wales hardly easy either. We've lost 4 of the last 5 games that I've been at.

Only win recently was in Dublin.

Nothing is going to be easy but think there an easier propistion than the other 2.  Pretty sure our record against Italy and Portugal will be worse.  Not that it matters what's happened in the past.  Team has changed considerably since games against Wales.

2 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Wales hardly easy either. We've lost 4 of the last 5 games that I've been at.

Only win recently was in Dublin.

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Only problem is they would have a month to get their act together and we would no doubt give them too much respect over there and bottle it. 

28 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

on our day we can beat anyone but over two legs it would be difficult and we'd need to hope for a neutral referee, twice :ph34r:

9 hours ago, borojock said:

I think we'll be one of the top 8 2nd placed teams 

My guess the 4 seeded 2nd place teams will be the Swiss, Wales, Italy, Croatia 

I'd want to get the Swiss or Wales 

From those four teams I'd take any of them. Italy aren't the force they were all four of those tams could beat each other. 

9 hours ago, McExpat said:

It's a scandal that the play offs are seeded. Each team finishing second in seeded groups should see an open and fair play off draw. 

Totally agree. There are two very easy ways to decide the play-offs without a draw.

1. Use the 2nd place table. 1st v 8th, 2nd v 7th, 3rd v 6th, 4th v 5th.

This way teams are rewarded for better performance.

2. Use the group's. 2nd in Group A v 2nd in Group B. C v D, E v F. Obviously the group that misses out isn't included so if A missed out it becomes B v C, D v E. If B misses out A v C, D v E and so on. 

8 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

That game would have amazing prestige, especially if the 2nd leg was in Glasgow (and we were still in with a chance).

But we seem to have a mental block when it comes to playing Italy no matter how poor they are. They would certainly be my last pick to get in a play-off.

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

My biggest fear with Italy or any of the footballing heavyweights is the officials. I do think decisions would be less likely to go our way against these teams. Maybe better off against a team of similar stature to ourselves who FIFA have no preference to who qualifies.

It's possible that Italy may not even be a seed. They are already behind Switzerland and Wales in the Fifa rankings and only marginally ahead of Croatia and Northern Ireland. That result against Macedonia will almost certainly put them below those 2. The fifa rankings are updated on 16th October, the day before the play off draw.

A lot of 2nd place teams could finish on 20 points. If Bosnia beat Belgium tonight, we might not only need to win on Sunday, we might need to get a few goals as well. I think we would need to win by 3 goals to catch Wales on GD.

C'mon Belgium.

We need them to get at least a point tonight. It would be very weird watching on Sunday knowing that even if we win in Slovenia we could still go out. 

I started out with a big list of results, in other groups, which would let us get a play off on 20 points. Every one of those has gone against us so far. Bosnia v Belgium is now our best chance. If Bosnia win tonight I think there are only 7 results which would see us through on 20 points. None of those other results are looking all that likely to me, in my present state of mind. One of them is Luxembourg beating Sweden, so we can write that one off for a start.

We need Belgium to do the business tonight.

C'MON BELGIUM.

:sing: BELGIUM, BELGIUM, BELGIUM :sing:

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

That game would have amazing prestige, especially if the 2nd leg was in Glasgow (and we were still in with a chance).

But we seem to have a mental block when it comes to playing Italy no matter how poor they are. They would certainly be my last pick to get in a play-off.

Aye, me too. Which is why we WILL get them.:lol:

Italy often have some weird poor results in the qualifiers but they just know how to win the big games, when they really need to.

Big broon envelopes may be involved.

Edited by Orraloon

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

So the two most straight forward things we hope will happen is either Bosnia or Wales dropping points. Everything else is mathematical chance. Would love the Bosnia game to go in our favour tonight, so we already then know a simple win would do it even before a ball is kicked in our game

agree on this one if the Bosnia result goes our way i think thats an extra bonus for us knowing everything is in our hands 

10 minutes ago, borojock said:

agree on this one if the Bosnia result goes our way i think thats an extra bonus for us knowing everything is in our hands 

I agree it would be a huge bonus. For the players it will be a huge boost to them to know that a win gets a play off, for definite,  rather than going into the game knowing that we must win but.......... then we have to wait for other results to come in. I know they are professionals and should be able to look past these things, and just go for the win, but even at the top level a wee boost to your confidence can work wonders.