Play off table - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play off table

39 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Can Slovakia now qualify if they come second?

Aye. By my reckoning they need Ukraine and Croatia to draw or Georgia to win in Serbia. So it's definite dug's chance territory there.

Our crap goal difference makes it impossible for us to qualify on 18 points even if Slovakia blow it against Malta.

Edited by Toepoke

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Aye. By my reckoning they need Ukraine and Croatia to draw or Georgia to win in Serbia. So it's definite dug's chance territory there.

I think Greece winning now makes it impossible for us to qualify on 18 points even if Slovakia blow it against Malta.

Would Slovakia only make it in goal difference then because they can only get 18 points? 

I can’t see how it’s impossible for us to qualify for a playoff with 18 points and not for Slovakia unless it’s a matter of goal difference since ours is pish.  

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Would Slovakia only make it in goal difference then because they can only get 18 points? 

I can’t see how it’s impossible for us to qualify for a playoff with 18 points and not for Slovakia unless it’s a matter of goal difference since ours is pish.  

Yeah sorry I edited my post. The Slovaks would have a better GD than Croatia or Bosnia/Wales if they finish on 18 points, we wouldn't. 

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

Yeah sorry I edited my post. The Slovaks would have a better GD than Croatia or Bosnia/Wales if they finish on 18 points, we wouldn't. 

To be fair I should have worked that out myself but my head is pickled with it. I never want to see another qualifying table again. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

To be fair I should have worked that out myself but my head is pickled with it. I never want to see another qualifying table again. :lol:

The last couple of days have been a bit of a mind melt!

One thing with Greece winning tonight Slovenia are definitely out so any dreams they had of a miracle qualification are gone.

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

One thing with Greece winning tonight Slovenia are definitely out so any dreams they had of a miracle qualification are gone.

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Slovenia could still theoretically get a playoff but only if Greece lose to Gibraltar and Bosnia beat Estonia. I think they would also need to put quite a few past us and Slovakia would need to drop points to Malta. 

I think we could also get a playoff with a draw against Slovenia but Slovakia would need drop points to Malta and Greece would need to draw with Gibraltar. 

A tenner on either of the above would win you a healthy amount at the bookies.  

I have looked at the leagues, the current world rankings and my estimation of who will be seeded - Switzerland, Wales, Italy and Northern Ireland.  If the Rep Ireland beat Wales then Sweden would be seeded in lieu.

I am hoping Portugal win their group, seeing them play Switzerland at home may be a good game to gauge how good the Swiss actually are, their performance in the group is pretty fearsome but does that league flatter them? The Swede's did excellent today, all but guaranteeing they are 2nd, I wonder if the conversation came up "officially" among them of goal difference.  

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Slovenia could still theoretically get a playoff but only if Greece lose to Gibraltar and Bosnia beat Estonia. I think they would also need to put quite a few past us and Slovakia would need to drop points to Malta. 

I think we could also get a playoff with a draw against Slovenia but Slovakia would need drop points to Malta and Greece would need to draw with Gibraltar. 

A tenner on either of the above would win you a healthy amount at the bookies.  

Cheers for pointing that out, I made the mistake of assuming Greece would beat Gibraltar.

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I have looked at the leagues, the current world rankings and my estimation of who will be seeded - Switzerland, Wales, Italy and Northern Ireland.  If the Rep Ireland beat Wales then Sweden would be seeded in lieu.

Someone mentioned earlier Italy might drop out of the seedings next month?

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Cheers for pointing that out, I made the mistake of assuming Greece would beat Gibraltar.

Someone mentioned earlier Italy might drop out of the seedings next month?

Stranger things have happened. Not many mind you. :lol:

I was just pointing out that Slovenia are not officially out. 

8 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Italy not being seeded, that would be something. I wonder if there is a site with live rankings rather than the FIFA site, off to look.

This any use? Not live, but includes predictions. Seems to suggest we could be as high as 20.

http://www.football-rankings.info/2017/09/fifa-ranking-october-2017-preview.html

Forget the pleasure of winning tomorrow and making the playoffs

Sending this rocket GIRUY on twitter would be better 

Remember he dyed his hair blonde for the Morocco game as its all about him - then deliberately got sent off because it's all about him

Hate the fvcker

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

I am hoping Portugal win their group, seeing them play Switzerland at home may be a good game to gauge how good the Swiss actually are, their performance in the group is pretty fearsome but does that league flatter them? The Swede's did excellent today, all but guaranteeing they are 2nd, I wonder if the conversation came up "officially" among them of goal difference.  

Would Ukraine/Croatia not beat Northern Ireland into a seeded spot? 

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Forget the pleasure of winning tomorrow and making the playoffs

Sending this rocket GIRUY on twitter would be better 

Remember he dyed his hair blonde for the Morocco game as its all about him - then deliberately got sent off because it's all about him

Hate the fvcker

I don't mind that he's not backing the team to win... That's his business, and a pretty common Scottish trait that we've seen plenty of on this board in the last year or two.

.... What I hate though is that he's getting paid a ton of money to wear a cheap suit and give "analysis" that can be proved wrong with even just a cursory glance at the league tables, the fixtures and a calculator.

How do these guys get away with not actually doing any research? It's Scotland he's talking about. If he can't even give a meaningful opinion on that, what's he got for all the other countries he's no doubt got to talk about?