Play off table - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play off table

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think the posted table is from the BBC website and takes everything into consideration. 

There is an up to date table on Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

Doesn’t really matter now though as far as we are concerned. Win tomorrow and we are guaranteed a playoff.

From table it looks like we`ll make playoffs if we win but if we don`t  Slovenia or Slovakia will probably be worst second.

4 minutes ago, giblet said:

Itv4 there just said Scotland are now bottom of 2nd placed teams..

3 minutes ago, Brocher said:

I see we are currently 9th in 2nd place table. Are we fecked now that Greece are above us?

Guys we haven't played yet! IF WE WIN WE GET A PLAY OFF PLACE...END OF STORY.

49 minutes ago, harrystarfish said:

Belarus 1-1 Netherlands too at the moment, game over for them. Think they needed a shit load of goals tonight.

If we win tomorrow we will definitely reach the playoffs. This isn’t in question.

Slovenia have next to no chance. Slovakia could still do it but they would need a few unlikely results to go their way. 

NO NEED TO PANIC!!

If we win we are def in the playoffs.

This is because we have already had our 6 points deducted from Malta in the above Wikipedia table and Greece have only had 3 points deducted as they still have to play Gibralta. They can't get anymore points in the best 2nd place team rankings but we can.

So...if we win, inclduing our deduction, we will finish on 14 points. Greece will be on 13.

Edited by iainmac1

4 minutes ago, Brocher said:

But if every team above us also win we are fecked.

Not in our own hands then?

Every team above us can win all they like but it doesn’t change the fact that if we win tomorrow we’ll get a playoff. 

Greece are on 13 points at the moment but that’s the best they can do. Their last game is against Gibraltar at home which they will win easily. Unfortunately for them, Gibraltar are confirmed as bottom of their group so the three points Greece will get for this win will not be added to their final total in the ranking of 2nd placed teams. 

1 minute ago, harrystarfish said:

Ah yeah, right you are. But that's still the group that's below us and has guaranteed our playoff place if we win. 

They will be below us if we win but they are above us at the moment since they have only played the bottom team once and we've played them twice.

Can Slovakia now qualify if they come second? They have 12 and can't get any more. Only groups D and I are below them currently, and by my reckoning no permutations can see Slovakia finish above them. Now I don't for a second think they'll take their foot off the pedal enough that Malta will take a point, but nobody had scored more than 2 goals against Malta at home. I'll take every lifeline.

Ignore: We'd also have 12 and therefore wouldn't go through if we drew.

Edited by Stapes

2 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

So if Sweden, NI & Denmark all lose their last game could we finish in top half ? 

Won't make a difference. The seedings are based on the World Rankings. So we could be the best 2nd place team but still be unseeded.

Edited by iainmac1