Play off table - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play off table

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bizarre potential outcome is France finishing 2nd in their group on 19 points, they could be the worst runner up but they would be saved if Luxembourg fall to the bottom of their group as the 2 points France dropped to them would no longer count!

Iceland currently scutching Turkey in Istanbul! Probably rules that group out now as a potential worst 2nd spot :(

Edit.... Hold that thought, Finland just equalised in the last minute in Croatia :)

Edited by Toepoke

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Iceland currently scutching Turkey in Istanbul! Probably rules that group out now as a potential worst 2nd spot :(

Edit.... Hold that thought, Finland just equalised in the last minute in Croatia :)

Full time there now. A draw in the Ukraine v Croatia game on Monday will mean 2nd place in that group will only have 18 points.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Belgium beating Bosnia is our best hope. 

Even a draw in that one will do. That's the only game which can give us a result to let us know for sure before Sunday that a win will guarantee us a play off (unless Luxembourg somehow miraculously win in Sweden!)

Edited by Toepoke

25 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Italy fail to beat Macedonia at home guaranteeing the group to the Spanish and confirming themselves as play off entrants...

Italy and Italian football in general is a shadow of it's former self

As far as I can tell (and assuming the bottom teams don’t change) a draw in any of the following games would do:

Serbia v Georgia 
Wales v Ireland 
Belgium v Bosnia 
Croatia v Ukraine
Bosnia v Estonia

A victory for Georgia, Ireland, Belgium or Estonia in the above games would also be fine.

Netherlands beating Sweden would also do. I think. 

My head hurts. 

As it stands: second-placed teams

There are only four nights to go after this but there's still a lot to determine. No team is yet certain to finish second in their section and only in Groups C, E, F, G, H and I are the bottom sides already confirmed.

Pos. Grp Team  Pld Pts GD GF
1 B Portugal 6 15 +18 21
2 E Denmark 7 13 +7 12
3 C Northern Ireland 7 13 +5 10
4 G Italy 6 13 +3 10
5 I Iceland 7 13 +3 9
6 D Wales 7 11 +2 7
7 F Scotland 7 11 -1 8
8 A Sweden 6 10 +3 10
9 H Bosnia and Herzegovina 6 8 +2 10

• Portugal and Switzerland are guaranteed to be the top two in Group B and whoever comes second is assured of a play-off spot.

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

As far as I can tell (and assuming the bottom teams don’t change) a draw in any of the following games would do:

Serbia v Georgia 
Wales v Ireland 
Belgium v Bosnia 
Croatia v Ukraine
Bosnia v Estonia

A victory for Georgia, Ireland, Belgium or Estonia in the above games would also be fine.

Netherlands beating Sweden would also do. I think. 

My head hurts. 

All correct. Also Norway beating N.Ireland or Romania winning in Denmark. And the rank outsider Luxembourg winning in Sweden...

After 24 hours of foolishly being roped in by the worst feeling invented - hope - the back of my mind is now convinced Scotland will almost certainly win on Sunday and miss out on a play off spot .....

sigh

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

After 24 hours of foolishly being roped in by the worst feeling invented - hope - the back of my mind is now convinced Scotland will almost certainly win on Sunday and miss out on a play off spot .....

sigh

The odds of every result required for us to miss out going against us  must be huge.

If we do win on Sunday I’m pretty sure we’ll get a playoff. I’m also fairly sure we’ll get Italy or Holland. :(