BBC "Scotland"/STV - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

BBC "Scotland"/STV

Goozay

Sky buy the rights for qualifiers from UEFA, ITV then buy the England games from Sky I'm sure. RTE do similar in ROI to show their games. I dont think ITV buy England games alone from UEFA, as has been said its a central deal with UEFA similar to the way the Champions League is sold.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:13 AM, Goozay said:

Let me be clear:

1. Is the current state of affairs crap?   Yes

2. Do I think the SFA give a rat's erse? No I don't think they do.

3. Is it the broadcasters' choice what to broadcast?  Of course it is.

4. Have the SFA exhausted all possible avenues to positively influence said broadcasters to improve the situation? No, I think they've just been sitting there scratching their erse.

Is it the broadcasters’ choice of what to broadcast? What have you been smoking man?

The only broadcaster that has the legal right to show Scotland qualifiers live at the moment is Sky. 

Do you think STV own the rights to show live Scotland games but choose to show England games instead? They don’t  

The fact is that most people who want to watch Scotland games can because they will either have Sky Sports themselves, one of their mates will have Sky Sports, they can afford to go to the pub 4-6 times per year, they can afford to go to Hampden 2-3 times per year or they can find a stream online to watch the games. 

I appreciate that some people (particularly kids, disabled people and the elderly) may not fall into the above categories but Scottish terrestrial channels can’t be forced to pay the ridiculous costs of showing football games live just because some people who want to watch the games and can’t. 

At the moment, only home nations’ matches in the finals of tournaments have to be shown on terrestrial tv. I can’t see the government ever extending that to qualifiers.

It is a shame that our qualifiers are not live on terrestrial television but it’s hardly the disastrous injustice that you are making it out to be. 

On 06/10/2017 at 7:53 PM, thplinth said:

Last time I checked you could buy the whole of Scottish football TV rights for a pittance. Like under 20m... Sky probably pay that now per game for EPL garbage.

Anyone and I do mean anyone who says the SFA or the SPFL have negotiated a fair deal for scottish football is an utter clueless khunt of the highest order. Barry Hearn had it right, they all need the sack so badly it is unbelievable

It seems about time Scottish footballs governing bodies pulled their finger out and stopped accepting stupid contracts like the one we have with sky just because it pays more.

move the weekly live matches to BT since sky are beyond hopeless in terms of knowledge and guests for Scottish football. Make sure the contract allows some some live Scotland games on bbc Scotland or stv. A highlights package on council tv at a decent time is also a must. Waiting for highlight on a Sunday night at stupid o’clock is a joke.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, Marky said:

Saying international matches should be on terrestrial tv is like saying we should go back to the old European Cup with Champions only and that it should be a knockout cup. Or saying that players shouldnae be sold for a squillion quid or paid an absolute fortune.

All nice to have. All will never happen. That’s why fitba is phuked!

the welsh speaking channel had the Wales Ireland game live, was also live on sky

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It seems about time Scottish footballs governing bodies pulled their finger out and stopped accepting stupid contracts like the one we have with sky just because it pays more.

move the weekly live matches to BT since sky are beyond hopeless in terms of knowledge and guests for Scottish football. Make sure the contract allows some some live Scotland games on bbc Scotland or stv. A highlights package on council tv at a decent time is also a must. Waiting for highlight on a Sunday night at stupid o’clock is a joke.

The SFA have no power to do that. 

The contract you are referring to is between UEFA and Sky, not the SFA and Sky.  

On 06/10/2017 at 9:10 AM, Haggis_trap said:

Absolute disgrace that Scottish license payers are denied seeing the national team on terrestrial TV.
Whole generation of school kids who might yet (... not) see us qualify to World Cup for first time in 20 years.

Not least when BBC paid out to show the England qualifiers.

On 06/10/2017 at 10:02 AM, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure BBC Scotland and STV would love to show Scotland games live. They just don’t have the budget to outbid Sky. 

Although the SFA get a cut of the profits, I’m pretty sure they don’t get a say in who shows the games. UEFA own the rights and they sell them to the highest bidder.

Both of Wales recent qualifying  games were shown live in Welsh on S4C. 

Just now, cheesynsicksheep said:

Both of Wales recent qualifying  games were shown live in Welsh on S4C. 

I know. All of Wales’ qualifiers were on S4C.

What’s your point?

S4C made a deal with Sky to allow them to broadcast the games in Welsh. 

There would be nothing to stop BBC Alba approaching Sky to negotiate a similar deal to broadcast in Gaelic except maybe BBC Alba’s annual budget is about £5 million and S4C’s budget is about £80 million (similar to BBC Scotland’s total budget). 

There is no way Sky would allow BBC Scotland or STV to broadcast the Scotland games in English and I doubt either channel would be willing to pay what Sky would ask for anyway. 

I’m sure the BBC and STV would have looked into all possibilities if they were interested. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

The SFA have no power to do that. 

The contract you are referring to is between UEFA and Sky, not the SFA and Sky.  

Do the SFA have phones? Email? Mouths? Any form of communicating? Perhaps they could take the initiative by contacting the council TV stations and UEFA to come to some sort of agreement. I was also referring to the lack of highlights and exposure for the domestic league

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Do the SFA have phones? Email? Mouths? Any form of communicating? Perhaps they could take the initiative by contacting the council TV stations and UEFA to come to some sort of agreement. I was also referring to the lack of highlights and exposure for the domestic league

For all you know they have done that. 

I hate to break this to you but UEFA don’t give a rat’s ass about people like you who feel Scotland games should be on free tv. They are all about the money mate. I doubt the SFA would care either. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

For all you know they have done that. 

I hate to break this to you but UEFA don’t give a rat’s ass about people like you who feel Scotland games should be on free tv. They are all about the money mate. I doubt the SFA would care either. 

Thanks for that, it's almost like I didn't know UEFA were all about money. Your input has been excellent.

On 15/10/2017 at 1:16 PM, Texas Pete said:

I know. All of Wales’ qualifiers were on S4C.

What’s your point?

S4C made a deal with Sky to allow them to broadcast the games in Welsh. 

There would be nothing to stop BBC Alba approaching Sky to negotiate a similar deal to broadcast in Gaelic except maybe BBC Alba’s annual budget is about £5 million and S4C’s budget is about £80 million (similar to BBC Scotland’s total budget). 

There is no way Sky would allow BBC Scotland or STV to broadcast the Scotland games in English and I doubt either channel would be willing to pay what Sky would ask for anyway. 

I’m sure the BBC and STV would have looked into all possibilities if they were interested. 

What's my point ? Do I need to explain it? 

Who stole the milk out your tea ? ?

14 minutes ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

What's my point ? Do I need to explain it? 

Who stole the milk out your tea ? ?

If somebody asks what your point is then there’s a good chance that they didn’t understand your point and require more information.

I understood what you said but I was wondering what relevance S4C showing Wales games had to Scotland games not being on free to air TV?

Sky have exclusive rights to show our qualifiers and they haven’t made a deal with any other broadcasters to share the rights. 

Ok, sorry. 

BBC is a major funder of S4C and has been for about 5 years. 

Yes it's a freeview, cable type channel but it's still BBC funded and is an example that if they wanted to they could give us Scotland games  on other channels (Alba would be fine, better than Sky's commentary), but they choose not to. 

1 minute ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

Ok, sorry. 

BBC is a major funder of S4C and has been for about 5 years. 

Yes it's a freeview, cable type channel but it's still BBC funded and is an example that if they wanted to they could give us Scotland games  on other channels (Alba would be fine, better than Sky's commentary), but they choose not to. 

I know the BBC funds S4C but ultimately it’s the bosses of S4C that decide what to do with their budget (which is about 15-20 times bigger than BBC Alba) and they have successfully negotiated a deal with Sky. 

BBC Scotland as a whole could try and negotiate with Sky to see if they could come to an agreement (BBC Alba’s budget would not stretch to this) but I highly doubt Sky would want BBC Scotland showing out games in English. 

Some people seem to think that BBC Scotland can just show our games if they want to but choose not to which is obviously not the case. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ormond said:

What was it you said to me about insults? :whistling:

There’s a difference between insulting someone because you don’t agree with their opinion and insulting someone in response to them being a knob to you. 

If you can prove to me that the guy I called a knob isn’t a knob then I’ll apologise to you. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

There’s a difference between insulting someone because you don’t agree with their opinion and insulting someone in response to them being a knob to you. 

If you can prove to me that the guy I called a knob isn’t a knob then I’ll apologise to you. :lol:

I thrive on insults. The day I seek an apology will be the day I put the Guinness down. :lol:

Sky sports have had the zenophobic Ian crocker and dour David Provan as the sky commentary team for 20 years now. Ian crocker is completely withering towards Scotland in every single game. His go to phrase is "OH YOU JUST KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN WITH SCOTLAND" OR "SCOTLAND RARELY MAKE IT EASY DO THEY?" Why anyone in Scotland puts up with his sarcastic and withering commentary is completely beyond me. 

Crocker has provided the soundtrack to 20 years of Scottish football failure and I'll be fu***d if I'm listening to his voice ever again commentate on a Scotland game. Twenty years is long enough for any commentary team but it's absolutely bizarre Crocker and Provan have lasted that long, they're not even particularly insightful or entertaining.

Edited by Scotsdeutsch

• 2 weeks later...

I can watch Wales' friendly against Panama live tonight on the BBC iPlayer.

I'm certain that the SFA have thoroughly investigated their own situation and there's quite literally nothing to be done to gain parity with the Welsh.

Keep up the great work SFA!

35 minutes ago, Goozay said:

I can watch Wales' friendly against Panama live tonight on the BBC iPlayer.

I'm certain that the SFA have thoroughly investigated their own situation and there's quite literally nothing to be done to gain parity with the Welsh.

Keep up the great work SFA!

Maybe, just maybe the SFA are more interested in getting punters through the turnstiles