BBC "Scotland"/STV - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

BBC "Scotland"/STV

Goozay

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, you must be a fair age right enough. My dad told me about them.

Just watch it sonny or you’ll get a clip round the ear. 

I’m not that old. I just remember the 80s before Sky came along. A Scotland game on BBC TV was a rare treat. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

The bigger problem is ITV or the BBC don’t care about you or anyone else in Scotland. 

The licence fee pays for the BBC. The BBC don’t show England games. BBC Scotland’s budget isn’t big enough to buy the rights to Scotland games and I would guess STV’s isn’t either.

Do you seriously think ITV show England games because the care about English people being able to watch their team on terrestrial tv? They don’t. They show England games because they bid the most money to show them. They want to show England games because they will get huge viewing figures and can sell advertising time during the coverage for a fortune.  

England games have only recently been shown ITV. Sky used to have the rights for they’re games as well as far as I remember. It just comes down to who is willing to pay enough for the rights. Sky outbid everyone else for the Scotland games so they got them. Unfortunately Sky are a subscription service so we just need to accept it.  

None of this is the SFA, BBC Scotland or STV’s fault. It’s just the way things work, especially when your main TV channels are based in another country.

Maybe you’re not as old as I am mate. 

Disagree that there's nothing that SFA could do about this.

SFA are custodians of the game in Scotland and should give a rat's erse about how it's presented and perceived here, not just sit back and take the cash from ITV.

At the very least we should be entitled to a decent length highlights show. Older people and my grandad included aren't interested in paying shitkoads for sky and all the Yankee sitcom pish that it entails so the only Scotland stuff he sees is a few seconds on the news unless someone shows him it on a phone

If the fuuckers doon south gave us  stv/BBC scotia their share of the budget then we'd be laughing. And they wonder why we want independence? Yer fücking right we do!

If and when they do give us our dues then I'd hand the gig to the BBC alba mob. The alba coverage is excellent. i really enjoy the half time stuff they do

Last time I checked you could buy the whole of Scottish football TV rights for a pittance. Like under 20m... Sky probably pay that now per game for EPL garbage.

Anyone and I do mean anyone who says the SFA or the SPFL have negotiated a fair deal for scottish football is an utter clueless khunt of the highest order. Barry Hearn had it right, they all need the sack so badly it is unbelievable.

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Last time I checked you could buy the whole of Scottish football TV rights for a pittance. Like under 20m... Sky probably pay that now per game for EPL garbage.

Anyone and I do mean anyone who says the SFA or the SPFL have negotiated a fair deal for scottish football is an utter clueless khunt of the highest order. Barry Hearn had it right, they all need the sack so badly it is unbelievable.

I know it worked out around £10million per game around 4 years ago so £20mill now may not be far off the mark

I got my kill though when you'd watch sky and they'd have adverts chasing the working man for their last £3 a month to send to Africa while they were shelling out Monopoly money for the greatest league in the world... ???

On a tangent here but instead of that African lassie walking 12 miles a day just to fetch a pale of water why didn't she just move closer to the well?

40 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Disagree that there's nothing that SFA could do about this.

SFA are custodians of the game in Scotland and should give a rat's erse about how it's presented and perceived here, not just sit back and take the cash from ITV.

The SFA don’t own the TV rights to European World Cup and European championship qualifiers though any more than they do for the Champion’s League or Europa League. UEFA do.

Do you think the SFA should be able to dictate who shows Celtic’s Champion’s League games?

22 hours ago, ShedTA said:

they both manage to fork out for England games. Uefa do not negotiate international rights as far as im aware.

Yes, they do.

This was brought in along with the "week of football"

UEFA have awarded England to ITV until 2022, with our games on Sky.

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/news/newsid=2437632.html

And an article about the change from 2012:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17536407

Edited by Cove_Sheep

18 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Radio? Eeeeee, you were lucky. We had to wait until the Sunday Post arrived and just read about it.;)

LUXURY! For us to find out score Our dad would write down result then tie note to pigeon's leg then we'd eat the pigeon for our tea. 

5 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I noticed the Wales game was on Sky and S4c, which is free to air.

So wouldn't appear any reason why STV or BBC Scotland/Alba couldn't get the games too...

Id presumed Sky would have exclusive rights.

I suppose it’s possible for BBC Alba to get the the rights to broadcast in Gaelic but it would still take licence fee money for a channel that is probably already stretched budget wise. 

S4C is a commercial channel and way more people speak Welsh in Wales than speak Gaelic in Scotland. 

Sky probably insist on an exclusive deal to broadcast in English. Can’t see them being happy with STV or the BBC broadcasting Scotland games in English. 

It’s a pity we don’t have a commercial Gaelic channel. 

Edited by Texas Pete

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I suppose it’s possible for BBC Alba to get the the rights to broadcast in Gaelic but it would still take licence fee money for a channel that is probably already stretched budget wise. 

S4C is a commercial channel and way more people speak Welsh in Wales than speak Gaelic in Scotland. 

Sky probably insist on an exclusive deal to broadcast in English. Can’t see them being happy with STV or the BBC broadcasting Scotland games in English. 

It’s a pity we don’t have a commercial Gaelic channel. 

I thought S4c was a commercial channel, but I got it through BBC iPlayer and there were no adverts...

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

I thought S4c was a commercial channel, but I got it through BBC iPlayer and there were no adverts...

I don’t think it’s fully commercial. It is partly funded by the BBC I think but I’m pretty sure it has adverts, or at least it used to. 

I guarantee it has a bigger budget that BBC Alba though.  

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think it’s fully commercial. It is partly funded by the BBC I think but I’m pretty sure it has adverts, or at least it used to. 

I guarantee it has a bigger budget that BBC Alba though.  

Ah, there were adverts, as they would cut to a break, but you just got a message saying "back in a few minutes" or something like that. Makes sense.

On 06/10/2017 at 8:27 AM, Texas Pete said:

I honestly don’t think they care.

Why would they? 

Would having a better highlights package on terrestrial tv make them any more money? I doubt it. 

They should care that Scottish weans growing up will have more exposure to the England national team than Scotland.

$FA might be happy with a quick coin now, but there's a generation of kids growing up wearing Man City and Barcelona tops and getting minimal exposure to the Scottish game.

14 minutes ago, Goozay said:

They should care that Scottish weans growing up will have more exposure to the England national team than Scotland.

$FA might be happy with a quick coin now, but there's a generation of kids growing up wearing Man City and Barcelona tops and getting minimal exposure to the Scottish game.

What do you suggest they do about it then? They have no say over who shows Scotland games apart from friendlies and do you think weans would be interested in watching those?

14 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Collaborate/make a deal/share a sponsor/be creative/their job

I can only apologise if I’m not being clear but the SFA have no say in who shows our qualifiers (either live or highlights) any more. 

UEFA sold the rights to our live games to Sky and ITV’s deal with UEFA allows them to show highlights of all qualifiers.

Sure, the SFA could ask Sky if they would share the rights with the BBC or STV or something but:

1. Why would Sky agree to this?

2. BBC Scotland and STV probably don’t have the budget to share the rights anyway. 

It is a shame that our qualifiers are not on terrestrial TV and hopefully this will change in future but the SFA do not have any power to make this happen. 

Edited by Texas Pete

There is no particular reason why the England games live on ITV have to be shown by STV.

Remember they had a dispute with ITV a few years ago and showed a lot of crappy films and repeats instead of taking some of ITV's higher-rated dramas (Lewis, Midsomer, etc). It was cutting their own throats as nobody watched the replacement programmes, but happily carrying the ITV coverage of a very, very dull England team is a cheap option for STV. They don't have to make or pay for any replacement.

The highlights package shown on Thursday that I mentioned earlier was an ITV production too, aimed entirely at viewers in England, but carrying some Scotland highlights, with McCoist sitting in because he could probably name a few of the Scotland squad.

It's a shocking state of affairs. As some have said, the SFA could at least jump up and down a bit but they're no bothered either. I'm sure there's also some tie-in with this UEFA 'Week of Football' mince which is the cause of playing qualifiers on school nights for the benefit of TV viewers and to the intense annoyance of turn-up supporters.

48 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

There is no particular reason why the England games live on ITV have to be shown by STV.

Remember they had a dispute with ITV a few years ago and showed a lot of crappy films and repeats instead of taking some of ITV's higher-rated dramas (Lewis, Midsomer, etc). It was cutting their own throats as nobody watched the replacement programmes, but happily carrying the ITV coverage of a very, very dull England team is a cheap option for STV. They don't have to make or pay for any replacement.

The highlights package shown on Thursday that I mentioned earlier was an ITV production too, aimed entirely at viewers in England, but carrying some Scotland highlights, with McCoist sitting in because he could probably name a few of the Scotland squad.

It's a shocking state of affairs. As some have said, the SFA could at least jump up and down a bit but they're no bothered either. I'm sure there's also some tie-in with this UEFA 'Week of Football' mince which is the cause of playing qualifiers on school nights for the benefit of TV viewers and to the intense annoyance of turn-up supporters.

You’re right in that STV probably don’t need to show England games but that doesn’t mean they can show Scotland games instead. 

Why wouldn’t they show the England games anyway? Plenty of folk up here watch them. 

On 06/10/2017 at 2:55 PM, sbcmfc said:

The licence fee argument doesn't really stand up, as its ITV that show the England games, and although free to air, they're a commercial station, not s public service.

Yes that's true for itv. BBC have no excuse with the coverage English football gets and the poss poor excuse we get up here.

On 07/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, Texas Pete said:

I can only apologise if I’m not being clear but the SFA have no say in who shows our qualifiers (either live or highlights) any more. 

UEFA sold the rights to our live games to Sky and ITV’s deal with UEFA allows them to show highlights of all qualifiers.

Sure, the SFA could ask Sky if they would share the rights with the BBC or STV or something but:

1. Why would Sky agree to this?

2. BBC Scotland and STV probably don’t have the budget to share the rights anyway. 

It is a shame that our qualifiers are not on terrestrial TV and hopefully this will change in future but the SFA do not have any power to make this happen. 

Let me be clear:

1. Is the current state of affairs crap?   Yes

2. Do I think the SFA give a rat's erse? No I don't think they do.

3. Is it the broadcasters' choice what to broadcast?  Of course it is.

4. Have the SFA exhausted all possible avenues to positively influence said broadcasters to improve the situation? No, I think they've just been sitting there scratching their erse.