BBC "Scotland"/STV - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

BBC "Scotland"/STV

Goozay

• 4 months later...

Just resurrecting this topic from November.

Stewart Regan resigns and the very next away game is live on BBC 1 Scotland.

Was Regan a blocker of terrestrial telly showing Scotland games? Should we expect better coverage from either BBC Scotland  or STV going forward?

Or was the Hungary game just a blip and normal lack of service should resume shortly? 

3 hours ago, Goozay said:

Was Regan a blocker of terrestrial telly showing Scotland games? Should we expect better coverage from either BBC Scotland  or STV going forward?

Or was the Hungary game just a blip and normal lack of service should resume shortly? 

I doubt Regan blocked anything. The SFA can only sell the rights to friendlies I believe and the highest bidder will get to show the relevant game. 

The Nations League will be on Sky I think and no doubt Sky or BT will win the rights to our qualifiers from 2019 as they have the most money. 

I hope I’m wrong but I can’t see competitive Scotland games returning to free tv any time soon. 

4 hours ago, Goozay said:

When was the last time BBC Scotland successfully bidded to show a friendly (apart from this week's match against Hungary)?

Can’t remember. A couple of years I think. That won’t have anything to do with Regan though. 

16 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt Regan blocked anything. The SFA can only sell the rights to friendlies I believe and the highest bidder will get to show the relevant game. 

The Nations League will be on Sky I think and no doubt Sky or BT will win the rights to our qualifiers from 2019 as they have the most money. 

I hope I’m wrong but I can’t see competitive Scotland games returning to free tv any time soon. 

Totally agree.

It is the way of the world as far as sport goes. Look at all the big sports events and they are nearly all now under the ownership of Sky or BT Sport.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2018 at 7:16 PM, Goozay said:

On 3/30/2018 at 10:36 PM, Texas Pete said:

Peru and Mexico games both live on BBC1 Scotland!

But I'm sure its just a coincidence that Regan leaves then the next 3 away games are live on terrestrial telly. He was such an asset when was in post and only helped, never hindered, the promotion of our national game... 

6 hours ago, Goozay said:

Peru and Mexico games both live on BBC1 Scotland!

But I'm sure its just a coincidence that Regan leaves then the next 3 away games are live on terrestrial telly. He was such an asset when was in post and only helped, never hindered, the promotion of our national game... 

I expect the real reason is there is little appeal from Sky to pay for what is effectively two Scotland ‘B’ games which kick off in the middle of the night. The SFA will be selling to the highest bidder regardless of Regan and when the ‘glamour’ friendlies against Portugal and Belgium come round in the autumn they’ll be on Sky, along with the Nations League (I know they are home friendliest but I think the point stands)

On 5/25/2018 at 10:42 PM, csm88 said:

I expect the real reason is there is little appeal from Sky to pay for what is effectively two Scotland ‘B’ games which kick off in the middle of the night. The SFA will be selling to the highest bidder regardless of Regan and when the ‘glamour’ friendlies against Portugal and Belgium come round in the autumn they’ll be on Sky, along with the Nations League (I know they are home friendliest but I think the point stands)

I don’t think your point necessarily does stand in all honesty because the home friendlies and nations league are both part of Sky’s package.

The previous away friendlies were live on premier sports and it would be interesting to know if they bid for Hungary or these matches. Could see BBC picking up away friendlies on a regular basis if premier sports aren’t interested just based on a lack of competitor tbh.

5 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

I don’t think your point necessarily does stand in all honesty because the home friendlies and nations league are both part of Sky’s package.

The previous away friendlies were live on premier sports and it would be interesting to know if they bid for Hungary or these matches. Could see BBC picking up away friendlies on a regular basis if premier sports aren’t interested just based on a lack of competitor tbh.

Fair point - I’d forgotten home friendlies are part of the Sky package tbh. Will be interesting to see where the rights to the next away friendly goes, particularly if the games a bit more of draw.

Although with the new Nations League/Euro qualifier route there will be fewer friendlies so could be a year or so until we find out!

On 5/25/2018 at 10:42 PM, csm88 said:

The Hungary game booted EastEnders off BBC 1, so I don't think your B friendly in the middle of the night stands. BBC Scotland were happy to give a pointless friendly prime billing to muck about with their schedules, then came back for our next two away games.

On 5/27/2018 at 4:49 AM, BraveheartGordon said:

That's kind of my point, we've gone from being part of the "round up" of other matches (meanwhile, in Group D...) on ITV, or being live on somewhat obscure or internet-only channels to being the main event on BBC 1 Scotland. They're even repeating the Mexico game in full at a more sociable hour, even though most folk could watch it on the iPlayer if they wanted to.

All we need now is for BBC Scotland to show highlights of our competitive games when they come round and not play second billing to England's games.

4 hours ago, Goozay said:

The Hungary game booted EastEnders off BBC 1, so I don't think your B friendly in the middle of the night stands. BBC Scotland were happy to give a pointless friendly prime billing to muck about with their schedules, then came back for our next two away games.

That's kind of my point, we've gone from being part of the "round up" of other matches (meanwhile, in Group D...) on ITV, or being live on somewhat obscure or internet-only channels to being the main event on BBC 1 Scotland. They're even repeating the Mexico game in full at a more sociable hour, even though most folk could watch it on the iPlayer if they wanted to.

All we need now is for BBC Scotland to show highlights of our competitive games when they come round and not play second billing to England's games.

I’m fully in agreement with this, it’s not so much the live qualifier rights that every twitter Da moans about, I understand about bidding issues and whilst we’re part of the UK England will always take precedent.

But I can’t stand waiting for a 10 min slot on ITVs England centric programme when they also do special England only highlights.

We should expect a 60 minute programme with extended highlights and analysis of our matches with Scottish pundits who have knowledge of the players and not Dean Saunders or Ian Wright humouring us.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:02 PM, Malcolm said:

Regan was a cockwomble...  and why are we appointing an Englishman to run the SFA?  Why does the SFA exist?

To promote and administrate football in Scotland?  Or to secure the existence of our people and a future for Scottish children?

I'm sure it’s the former.