BBC "Scotland"/STV - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

BBC "Scotland"/STV

Goozay

Absolute disgrace that Scottish license payers are denied seeing the national team on terrestrial TV.
Whole generation of school kids who might yet (... not) see us qualify to World Cup for first time in 20 years.

Not least when BBC paid out to show the England qualifiers.

Edited by Haggis_trap

43 minutes ago, JasMc1973 said:

all Scotland games should be on council TV - never gonna happen while lining the pockets of the big wigs at Screw Fans Always.

I’m sure BBC Scotland and STV would love to show Scotland games live. They just don’t have the budget to outbid Sky. 

Although the SFA get a cut of the profits, I’m pretty sure they don’t get a say in who shows the games. UEFA own the rights and they sell them to the highest bidder.

1 minute ago, 1ANDYP said:

Scotland sell to the highest bidder, not uefa

What makes you think that?

TV contracts are centrally negotiated by UEFA. The SFA may be involved in the negotiations (I’m not sure on this) but UEFA get the final say (unless this has changed very recently). 

Something to ponder maybe, don't Republic of Ireland, independent of U.K as we all know have a deal with sky and not RTE (or whatever it is)? Should we not be grateful of the extra revenue that BBC/itv wouldn't pay. The deal England has with itv though does highlight the issue of funding between stv and itv id agree though.

Saying international matches should be on terrestrial tv is like saying we should go back to the old European Cup with Champions only and that it should be a knockout cup. Or saying that players shouldnae be sold for a squillion quid or paid an absolute fortune.

All nice to have. All will never happen. That’s why fitba is phuked!

2 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Got home from Hampden in time to sit through extended highlights on ITV (with the sound turned down) of a boring England game at a half-empty Wembley before the did actually show ten minutes of our game. McCoist was the Token Jock on the panel.

That is indeed p1sh from STV. They've clearly got the rights to show the highlights, so why not make it a standalone Scotland focused broadcast, instead of getting the exact same thing as viewers in England?

If the SFA were bothered about being presented as the vastly inferior neighbours of England, I'm sure they'd have a word with STV, but they seem to be fine with it  

11 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

^ the fact remains : BBC paid for the live rights to England World Cup matches but not the Scotland ones.

In Scotland we pay the same license fee...

Is it not ITV that have the England games? 

5 minutes ago, Goozay said:

That is indeed p1sh from STV. They've clearly got the rights to show the highlights, so why not make it a standalone Scotland focused broadcast, instead of getting the exact same thing as viewers in England?

If the SFA were bothered about being presented as the vastly inferior neighbours of England, I'm sure they'd have a word with STV, but they seem to be fine with it  

STV and ITV are actually different companies and although STV can show most ITV programmes it doesn’t mean they have the rights to show highlights of Scotland games in their own right. 

ITV could probably show more highlights of our game but they are based in England and don’t give a flying feck about us. 

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

STV and ITV are actually different companies and although STV can show most ITV programmes it doesn’t mean they have the rights to show highlights of Scotland games in their own right. 

ITV could probably show more highlights of our game but they are based in England and don’t give a flying feck about us. 

Do you think the SFA are bothered about that situation, or as long as they get a bit of income from the deal they're pretty happy?

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure BBC Scotland and STV would love to show Scotland games live. They just don’t have the budget to outbid Sky. 

Although the SFA get a cut of the profits, I’m pretty sure they don’t get a say in who shows the games. UEFA own the rights and they sell them to the highest bidder.

they both manage to fork out for England games. Uefa do not negotiate international rights as far as im aware.

11 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

they both manage to fork out for England games. Uefa do not negotiate international rights as far as im aware.

The BBC don’t show England games. ITV has way more money than BBC Scotland or STV and they have no interest in showing Scotland games live as the viewing figures wouldn’t be very high given our small population and most English people’s indifference to our team.

Maybe we should just be happy that all of our games are on some sort of TV? When I was young I often had to listen to some of our games on the radio as they weren’t on TV at all. 

UEFA do negotiate TV contracts. I’m not making it up. I think the SFA negotiate friendly games but who cares about them?

24 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Do you think the SFA are bothered about that situation, or as long as they get a bit of income from the deal they're pretty happy?

I honestly don’t think they care.

Why would they? 

Would having a better highlights package on terrestrial tv make them any more money? I doubt it. 

58 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The BBC don’t show England games. ITV has way more money than BBC Scotland or STV and they have no interest in showing Scotland games live as the viewing figures wouldn’t be very high given our small population and most English people’s indifference to our team.

Maybe we should just be happy that all of our games are on some sort of TV? When I was young I often had to listen to some of our games on the radio as they weren’t on TV at all. 

UEFA do negotiate TV contracts. I’m not making it up. I think the SFA negotiate friendly games but who cares about them?

aye the problem is that I don't give a toss about viewing figures. I pay the same licence fee as someone down south and they get their games on terrestrial TV. its sh*te, and theres no excuse for it.

when i was young I remember watching Scotland on terrestrial.

30 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

aye the problem is that I don't give a toss about viewing figures. I pay the same licence fee as someone down south and they get their games on terrestrial TV. its sh*te, and theres no excuse for it.

when i was young I remember watching Scotland on terrestrial.

The licence fee argument doesn't really stand up, as its ITV that show the England games, and although free to air, they're a commercial station, not s public service.

The bigger problem is ITV or the BBC don’t care about you or anyone else in Scotland. 

The licence fee pays for the BBC. The BBC don’t show England games. BBC Scotland’s budget isn’t big enough to buy the rights to Scotland games and I would guess STV’s isn’t either.

Do you seriously think ITV show England games because the care about English people being able to watch their team on terrestrial tv? They don’t. They show England games because they bid the most money to show them. They want to show England games because they will get huge viewing figures and can sell advertising time during the coverage for a fortune.  

England games have only recently been shown ITV. Sky used to have the rights for they’re games as well as far as I remember. It just comes down to who is willing to pay enough for the rights. Sky outbid everyone else for the Scotland games so they got them. Unfortunately Sky are a subscription service so we just need to accept it.  

None of this is the SFA, BBC Scotland or STV’s fault. It’s just the way things work, especially when your main TV channels are based in another country.

Maybe you’re not as old as I am mate. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Radio? Eeeeee, you were lucky. We had to wait until the Sunday Post arrived and just read about it.;)