Match thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match thread

dandydunn

7 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

We've now beat Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, Lithuania and took a point off England in last 5 games. As quick as I was to criticise strachan in the last campaign and the start of this one, I think he has to be given some credit now.,

Aye. What he says

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Yep. Don't disagree. I refuse to believe team selection and tactics like tonight gets us anywhere in world football though. Happy to sneak the win but it's soul destroying.

Jesus man. Last minute winner in must win game- soul destroying?

Let go of your hate for strachan and let yourself enjoy what's a fantastic result, and a well deserved one at that.

31 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Let go of your hate for strachan and let yourself enjoy what's a fantastic result, and a well deserved one at that.

he is developing a habit of teams scoring late goals

which is usually a sign of...champions

Winning ugly and scraping a result in the games that matter is how teams that have limited resources qualify for tournaments. Ireland have been doing it for years. I'd love us to be playing other teams off the park with exquisite, silky football someday, but in the meantime results like last night are a step in the right direction. Must win games are about the result and the win means that those travelling to Slovenia do so to support a team that can still qualify. 

10 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Winning ugly and scraping a result in the games that matter is how teams that have limited resources qualify for tournaments. Ireland have been doing it for years. I'd love us to be playing other teams off the park with exquisite, silky football someday, but in the meantime results like last night are a step in the right direction. Must win games are about the result and the win means that those travelling to Slovenia do so to support a team that can still qualify. 

The only part I disagree with is the winning ugly part, we had plenty clear cut chances and some of the passing leading to those chances was brilliant. Last night was a very good performance which we should have won by more than one.

3 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Loads of people saying how bad it was, got to say I disagree. I thought we played some decent stuff against a team there for a nil nil, I was on the edge of my seat (and off it!) throughout, particularly 2nd half.  They played highlights after the game and when you see all the chances together we really did get after them. Not saying we're Spain or anywhere near that, but comparing that to watching Ireland under O'Neill is wide of the mark by a long way. We were in control of that game, and 4 of the previous 5 for that matter for probably 3/4 of the match. We need to be realistic on what we're can expect to see, but fundamentally I think we're trying to play a passing, dominating game. We've all got players we do and don't want to play, but that doesn't mean we're right and strachan is wrong, in fact it would appear the opposite is true lately.

Last nights win must have done wonders for our FIFA rankings as they are ranked 19th in the world i think if we can beat Slovenia who arent far behind us must further boost it

Im not sure how the FIFA rankings work but would love to know what pot were looking at for the next qualifying campaign 

What's the scenario if two teams were to finish level on points?  Is it goal difference or head to head that counts first?  Not that is going to happen now but juts looking at how it could have went if Slovenia held on and got a point at Wembley last night?

10 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

That's because we are an average team and the substitutions won the game

A peetty poor cross resulted in an OG, was hardly Larrson in the european cup final type stuff. We scraped the win but were three minutes awsy from a 0-0 draw, which Slivakia would have deserved. The late goal papers over the cracks, it is very obvious.

13 minutes ago, BMan said:

What's the scenario if two teams were to finish level on points?  Is it goal difference or head to head that counts first?  Not that is going to happen now but juts looking at how it could have went if Slovenia held on and got a point at Wembley last night?

I guess it could happen if we draw and Slovakia win we'd be level on points with them.  I think their 3-0 win over us would swing it

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

A peetty poor cross resulted in an OG, was hardly Larrson in the european cup final type stuff. We scraped the win but were three minutes awsy from a 0-0 draw, which Slivakia would have deserved. The late goal papers over the cracks, it is very obvious.

a second half of campaign performance v a poor Lithuania in earlier game at Hampden...and smashing ball up park in last second v England...and we could have been qualifying automatically

27 minutes ago, borojock said:

Last nights win must have done wonders for our FIFA rankings as they are ranked 19th in the world i think if we can beat Slovenia who arent far behind us must further boost it

Im not sure how the FIFA rankings work but would love to know what pot were looking at for the next qualifying campaign 

Our FIFA ranking won't come back into play until the draw for the next World Cup qualifiers.

UEFA use a different ranking system to make up the pots for the Euro Qualifiers.

11 minutes ago, Mox said:

:lol::lol:

I really despair at some of our fans, I've been down about scotland like many but that wasn't a scraped win. If anything Slovakia were lucky to lose by only one

46 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The only part I disagree with is the winning ugly part, we had plenty clear cut chances and some of the passing leading to those chances was brilliant. Last night was a very good performance which we should have won by more than one.

Aye, you're right, winning ugly is unfair. I was just trying to get a sense of perspective on  the thing. It was a vital result against a decent team, and yet some want to pay it down. We remain a pretty average team with limited resources, but last night is a game we would normally have contrived to lose. I'll happily celebrate the fact that, for once, we got the win. 

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

Great post. Incredible really isn't it? We have a great result last night to put us in a great position yet, presumably because we do not play like Germany or Spain, it is negativity time. When are people going to understand that out resources are increasingly limited in modern game? Also, we should acknowledge just how important Chris Martin has been and is to us in this campaign. 

It is crystal clear to me that some fans are totally clueless. Slovakia are ranked around 30 places higher than us. We had a good shout for pen turned down, hit the bar twice and forced the keeper into three world class saves that earnt him MoM yet some tubes truly believe we didn't deserve it. Get real. I know some English people and even they have admitted Scotland deserved it.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

33 minutes ago, Mox said:

Ffs Moxy, you really are a miserable kvnt! ?

Just seen some highlights, we had wave after wave of attack, hitting the woodwork 2 or 3 times and bringing out 3 or 4 great saves. It was not so long ago we were really scraping goals and points, like scoring with our only chance or not having a shot on target in an entire half. The fact we kept going till the end suggests the team have belief and that can take you far.

I thought we played really well, can't understand the viewpoint that we were poor.

It's not often in a game of that importance against a team that is as good as Slovakia that we can force their keeper into 3 outstanding saves and hit the bar twice and then still score a late winner.

I think we've maybe left ourselves with too much to do and another 3 points on Sunday might be a bridge too far, but I'll certainly be enjoying the next few days.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

We should have, but their goalie was outstanding. On another night we would have won but 3 or 4