Match thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match thread

dandydunn

1 minute ago, Mox said:

They're keeper made two excellent saves and as I said apart from two instances all our opportunities were long shots or speculative crosses against 10 men for 67 minutes. And by the way, i'd give my all for a manager who kept giving me caps if I was as average as the vast majority of these players, its nothing to be impressed by or indeed to laude as something special. 

You are being very pessimistic, no one's saying it was amazing but it was a solid performance based on the fact that we are no world beaters and struggle to break teams down and the fact that Slovakia are a decent team. The keeper pulled off two unbelievable saves along with the bar coming to their rescue, we also never gave them much chance at our end. It was a solid performance considering the pressure and expectation on the players to win. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, fringo said:

We got 1 point v England and 1 point v Lithuania.

We probably expected 3 v Lith and realistically 1 at best v Eng which would have been 4 points.

We got 2 points in those 2 games so I'd say Lithuania result was far worse.

Respect your opinion, but we were never in the lead v Lithuania. Did just enough to save a point.

Unbelievably (based on overall performance) we got ourselves ahead v England with 100 or so seconds to go. And we ####ed up the lead. That's the reality. And what's more it was our error that cost us the lead. 

So that's the poorest result of the campaign - in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Respect your opinion, but we were never in the lead v Lithuania. Did just enough to save a point.

Unbelievably (based on overall performance) we got ourselves ahead v England with 100 or so seconds to go. And we ####ed up the lead. That's the reality. And what's more it was our error that cost us the lead. 

So that's the poorest result of the campaign - in my opinion.

I think I know what you mean - it was the most gut wrenching and one we'll remember for the rest of our lives.

But 5-6 mins earlier we were 1-0 down so a draw would have seemed quite good at when we equalised.

But overall, getting a point against the top team in the group and effectively dropping 2 points against the 2nd poorest group is the most costly in terms of qualification (realistically).

2 minutes ago, fringo said:

I think I know what you mean - it was the most gut wrenching and one we'll remember for the rest of our lives.

But 5-6 mins earlier we were 1-0 down so a draw would have seemed quite good at when we equalised.

But overall, getting a point against the top team in the group and effectively dropping 2 points against the 2nd poorest group is the most costly in terms of qualification (realistically).

Yep - get your thinking and acknowledge your logic.

Between 74 and 98 I saw us qualify for 7 finals. 

Off to Ljubljana tomorrow afternoon to see our most meaningful game (in terms of qualification) for 10 years. Thanks to WGS and the team for bringing that thrill back to me and others of my vintage.

It's been way too long.

To suggest we were rank maybe suggests you should stop watching Scotland. Good performance against a decent international team. Don't think 10 men helped us actually. Thought bannen had a great game. Forrest deserved to come off and players fought till the end and clearly believe they can score at any point in the game. Personally would have liked Mcginn on but thought the midfield had a good game even before the sending off. If you don't enjoy nights like that then something wrong.

dont think we are doing better in spite of wgs but because he's finally realised building a team around a successful Celtic side makes sense as does playing players in form rather than his old favs like fletcher, Naismith, Hanley etc

Well... II thought we kept possession well and were patient (maybe too patient?) and those are things you have to do if progressing to the next level. Frustrating and nervy at times, yes, but the roar after we scored and at the final whistle has long been missing. I can't remember a better feeling at end of a [home] match for maybe 10 years... Who wouldn't have taken chance of a win against Slovenia to go through in 2nd, at the start of the campaign?

I thought the centre mid selection was wrong and so it proved. We lacked drive in there. Glad McArthur came on, but should've been earlier. Fletcher hit some good passes, but looked like he didn't have the legs at times. Didn't think Morrison offered much. Bannan was better on the left. I wouldn't play all 3 against Slovenia.

Tierney rightfully subbed as defender kept showing him inside as he knew he wasn't playing with his right foot.

Fair play to Strachan with his subs getting the win. Hit the crossbar twice and a couple of great saves and penalty shouts.

1 hour ago, COLT NY said:

Your continual rambling about Strachan's failings makes no sense whatsoever... He brought on two players that virtually nobody else on this board would have opted for and they changed the game for us. How you can critcise him for it beggars belief. There's nothing to say that the guys you're lauding this time around would have made the same kind of difference.. Had we not won then fair enough, but he deserves every credit he gets tonight for those decisions.

For the record I would have brought on Martin and was calling out for Anya. 

I told the folk booing martin vs Slovenia to kill themselves. I don’t regret it. 

13/15 pts now. Who’s next. This time.

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Yep - get your thinking and acknowledge your logic.

Between 74 and 98 I saw us qualify for 7 finals. 

Off to Ljubljana tomorrow afternoon to see our most meaningful game (in terms of qualification) for 10 years. Thanks to WGS and the team for bringing that thrill back to me and others of my vintage.

It's been way too long.

I think I'm of a similar(ish) vintage although I didn't really know much about '74  because I'd lived in Africa all my young life at that point and didn't know, let alone see much about Scottish football at that time.

78 was my first real world cup (and still painful).

Have a great trip and here;s hoping !

Thought we were average. Tactics were poor. Substitutions were like for like. I'm not going to pat myself on the back for beating a team down to ten men for an hour or so. Aye probably just edged it over the 90 minutes but lacked any kind of class. I'll take it but it was terrible fare.

6 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Thought we were average. Tactics were poor. Substitutions were like for like. I'm not going to pat myself on the back for beating a team down to ten men for an hour or so. Aye probably just edged it over the 90 minutes but lacked any kind of class. I'll take it but it was terrible fare.

At the outset of this group the objective was the play-off. 

We play for it on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Mox said:

Nah, we were utterly rank, few long shots, got in behind twice, three times max against a team with 10 men for 67 mins, didn't make a second change until the 78th minute and yet we still won and as I said earlier, in spite of Strachan, not because of him. I'm not entirely convinced we will win in Slovenia, although I am convinced we will get scudded in the play offs, of that I am certain.

Calm doon Claude. Take your heid oot your arse and try to enjoy yet another victory before drawing breath and crying doom.

It’s not always shite being Scottish. Althoug im sure you’d prefer that it was. 

Ps we won because Strachan brought on Martin. Desipte your shite patter.

Edited by Morrisandmoo

7 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Yep. Don't disagree. I refuse to believe team selection and tactics like tonight gets us anywhere in world football though. Happy to sneak the win but it's soul destroying.

What would you have done differently?

12 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Lose. I think it’s the only thing that will make some folk happy. So they feel vindicated in their negativity. 

Unfortunatly for them, that’s just no something we are going to do this year. 

It's unbelievable fowk are moaning about this. They probably weren't at the game and likely didn't watch it. No pleasing some people. We totally deserved to win the game. 

We are going to finish the job on Sunday! Cracking atmosphere tonight. Noise at the final whistle. Beautiful. We'll be coming! 

27 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Yep. Don't disagree. I refuse to believe team selection and tactics like tonight gets us anywhere in world football though. Happy to sneak the win but it's soul destroying.

If we qualify for the world cup there's every chance we go further than any scottish team in history. Not all the team's from every conference are all that outstanding.

2 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

It's unbelievable fowk are moaning about this. They probably weren't at the game and likely didn't watch it. No pleasing some people. We totally deserved to win the game. 

We are going to finish the job on Sunday! Cracking atmosphere tonight. Noise at the final whistle. Beautiful. We'll be coming! 

This time.

If we take 16/18 pts we’ll be going into the play offs as one of the most in-form teams in Europe.

Average.

Just now, Morrisandmoo said:

This time.

If we take 16/18 pts we’ll be going into the play offs as one of the most in-form teams in Europe.

Average.

I said to my mate all day today, the late goals we have scored in this campaign. It's lining up for us and it just seems to be our time. I believe we are going to do it. 

Guest faircity

One of the most pleasing asides from tonight is the knowledge that Macy is gutted that we won. Utterly devastated. 

You all know that old that watches in the bar that is only happy when the doom and gloom is all around. Every bar has one. Well there's yer tamb version. 

Well ken what? Get it ####in up ye. Your life must be a ####in hoot. 

12 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Apparently winning the must win game whilst having about 5 clear cut chances & two off the bar is "soul destroying". Come on man cheer up.

Not to mention a stonewaller denied too.

Yes we struggled against 10 men at times but the likes of Hamsik and Lobotka are simply better players than we have.  However we stuck at it and got the 3 points.