Match thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match thread

dandydunn

14 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I am delighted with the win, we lost two influential and on form players. We took our sweet time, but their keeper and the woodwork kept them in that game for so long.  We have a cup final on Sunday, we are in 2nd place, the team must be buzzing right now.  Bannan was a far better player 2nd half and Anya rewarded the faith in him - the team won and the team got us to within 3 points of a play off place.  Now for Sunday, a birthday treat would be a win, lets not leave it so long. 1st half our main threat was Robertson, 2nd half was a nervy affair.

Have a look at that boys/ I dont want to be looking back but both of those 3 nil losses, man those hurt us on the GD.

c0e23007-d721-4a23-b7c2-19b6b866ac90.png

The draw at home with Lithuania was the worst result.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Mox said:

Not for me, we were rank. So one dimensional, very little vary in our play what so ever and we were forced to play on the front foot as a result of Slovakia going down to 10 men. Whilst, we did win and I am over the moon, there are huge problems, the fact Strachan sent on Anya, Martin and McArthur to rescue us whilst McGregor, McGinn and Fraser sit on the bench tells you all you need to know about him. I would be utterly stunned if we are Russia next year. 

Your continual rambling about Strachan's failings makes no sense whatsoever... He brought on two players that virtually nobody else on this board would have opted for and they changed the game for us. How you can critcise him for it beggars belief. There's nothing to say that the guys you're lauding this time around would have made the same kind of difference.. Had we not won then fair enough, but he deserves every credit he gets tonight for those decisions.

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

How good was the touch from Griffith's when he was down to let Anya through.  1 nil, I was shouting, please don't do another England defend that lead.

It was brilliant... Had me off my seat right from that pass.

I thought KT was poor tonight. Really struggled on the right and ran into dead ends a lot and had to turn back. I’d almost, almost prefer Anya to play there. 

I akso thought Mulgrew and Beta didn’t put a foot wrong. 

Edited by macy37

1 minute ago, macy37 said:

I thought KR was poor tonight. Really struggled on the right and ran into dead ends a lot and had to turn back. I’d almost, almost prefer Anya to play there. 

I thought he looked very tired after 50-60 minutes, maybe too much football for a lad his age?

5 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Your continual rambling about Strachan's failings makes no sense whatsoever... He brought on two players that virtually nobody else on this board would have opted for and they changed the game for us. How you can critcise him for it beggars belief. There's nothing to say that the guys you're lauding this time around would have made the same kind of difference.. Had we not won then fair enough, but he deserves every credit he gets tonight for those decisions.

You play bad players enough times and they will do odd good things as we saw from Anyas ball tonight. 

The continual exclusion of players in form is the point. 

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Your right, if we had won that game we would be in the play offs already i think barring us being worst 2nd place.

Such a poor start to the campaign I (probably most of us) thought it was over by then.

Quite amazing to still be in with a realistic chance (and in our own hands) after all that.

Here's hoping.

Absolutely delighted with that. How Phillips lasted the 90 minutes i'll never know but it doesn't matter now. Credit to Chris Martin, he took a lot of stick in his first few games for us but without his contribution we'd have been playing dead rubbers for months. 

Apparently Slovenia have two players suspended now for Sunday after yellows tonight, so that can only be a good thing. 3 down, one to go.

4 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I thought KT was poor tonight. Really struggled on the right and ran into dead ends a lot and had to turn back. I’d almost, almost prefer Anya to play there. 

Unusually quiet/average by KT compared to what we've witnessed for Scotland and Celtic in last 2 years.

I guess he's human, but credit to Strachan for taking him off (I think the crowd booed a little) as he's been such a star recently but not his best game (by his normal, high performances).

Fantastic result against a very good team......whatever happens next doesn't really matter to me, they've made me proud, watched the game with 5 englismen in a hotel bar (nice guys) (slightly inebriated in the middle of nowhere in Cambridgeshire. Fair play to them for letting me watch it on the big screen though. I told them I'd mention them on here and also bought them all a whisky.....we're not all tight fighted. Cheers Steve and Dave and the weird bloke in the corner.....alba forever.

9 minutes ago, macy37 said:

He’s 20 not 36 ffs.

I agree, my point being, in the last 18 months-2 years, has his body had the chance to get up being a top player, admittedly I do t watch much of Celtic, is he often subbed, or has he generally been a 90 minute player for the last 100 or so games?

Its a big step up from youth and reserve football. 

35 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

This - their keeper had two or three very good saves to keep Slovakia in it for so long and the crossbar was rattled twice. We mustn't forget that Slovakia are ranked 19th in the world - even against ten men it was going to be a difficult game. Their defence was organised which made it very difficult to breakdown, but we managed it on a number of occasions. Sure, some of our players weren't at their best, but we've managed to beat a very good Slovak side - and we've put ourselves in a very good position going into Sunday's match.

Correct

And we also should realise that we created about as many chances as you can reasonably expect to create in international football. Against a very decent side. Turned out we only needed to put one of them away and we did, but for the keeper and the bar that could've been a 3 or 4 goal win which we'd be drooling over.

Very very fine lines indeed at international level. And tonight we were on the right side of that line.

Its also pretty obvious the players are giving everything they have got for Strachan given the way they've run themselves into the ground right to the wire in recent games. That says a hell of a lot.

3 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Correct

And we also should realise that we created about as many chances as you can reasonably expect to create in international football. Against a very decent side. Turned out we only needed to put one of them away and we did, but for the keeper and the bar that could've been a 3 or 4 goal win which we'd be drooling over.

Very very fine lines indeed at international level. And tonight we were on the right side of that line.

Its also pretty obvious the players are giving everything they have got for Strachan given the way they've run themselves into the ground right to the wire in recent games. That says a hell of a lot.

Exactly.

As I said,

BOABYS!!!!

5 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Correct

I concur.

9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Crapping our pants against England.

The heavens handed us the biggest lucky card ever that day.

We got 1 point v England and 1 point v Lithuania.

We probably expected 3 v Lith and realistically 1 at best v Eng which would have been 4 points.

We got 2 points in those 2 games so I'd say Lithuania result was far worse.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

And Bannan is a disaster of a player. Absolute crap. 

Tonight is a great night for Scottish football, we have have improved over the last few years in a very good way....brilliant performance, just how we like it. Edgy, dodgy, worrying, (a lot of wtf moments) and then ecstasy.

does it get better. 

16 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Correct

They're keeper made two excellent saves and as I said apart from two instances all our opportunities were long shots or speculative crosses against 10 men for 67 minutes. And by the way, i'd give my all for a manager who kept giving me caps if I was as average as the vast majority of these players, its nothing to be impressed by or indeed to laude as something special.