The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

(Sigh) Again, the Tynecastle pitch it toatty. The dimensions of the Murrayfield pitch were the same as Tynecastle. The pitch would be extended further should the SFA see sense and relocate home games to Murrayfield 

What was their excuse for the games Celtic played there? Given they have one of the biggest pitches in Scotland?

Murrayfield is shite for football.

IMG_0899.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42316749

Murrayfield the favoured option amongst fans?

Some of the anti-Murrayfiled views are basically people trying to find any excuse that games shouldn't be there because either 1) it's rugby and that's for nonces or 2) it's Edinburgh and that's for nonces

Edited by biffer

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

Some of the anti-Murrayfiled views are basically people trying to find any excuse that games shouldn't be there because either 1) it's rugby and that's for nonces or 2) it's Edinburgh and that's for nonces

BBC stirring the shite there.

According to the survey around 40% want to stay at Hampden, just a large percentage of them want it redeveloped in some way.

Main problem with moving to Murrayfield is i think the place would be 3/4s empty most of the time.  Edinburgh doesn't have the appetite of Glasgow for international football, as evidenced by 10,000 turning up at Easter Road when it gets a go.

The big issue with Hampden is the view, it's too shallow.  They did the refurb on the cheap and it shows.  Not that I'm saying anything that everyone doesn't know.  Well done me, master of stating the bleeding obvious.

The survey also criticises the value for money and the catering at Hampden - that's got nothing to do with the venue itself and wouldn't change at Murrayfield.

I would love to redevelop Hampden properly.

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

I see that Fergus McCann has pitched into the Hampden debate. Sorry, dunno how to post a link but it's in the Herald if anyone's interested.

He's an arse.  Always did like petty point-scoring and revenge.

Do the English have to tolerate this nonsense about not needing Wembley when they have the biggest and best stadia in the world?  We need Hampden exactly because of small-minded tribal attitudes like McCann's,

40 minutes ago, biffer said:

Both valid arguements to be fair. The location of Hampden isn't the problem, its the stadium it's self, it is not conducive to generating an excellent match going experience. It is a modern relic which should be raised to the ground.

54 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Do the English have to tolerate this nonsense about not needing Wembley when they have the biggest and best stadia in the world?  We need Hampden exactly because of small-minded tribal attitudes like McCann's,

The difference is Wembley is a great stadium for watching football in where as Hampden is an abortion of a stadium.

57 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I think Scottish football would be in a much better state if Fergus McCann had been in charge of the SFA for the past 20 years. He's probably had many, much better things to do with his time, though? 

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

Leasing, maintaining and redeveloping Hampden is a vanity project we can't afford. I'd rather see the money going to grass roots coaching and development of facilities. Maybe then we'll be going to watch world class Scotland players in 20 years in modern, well equipped stadia whether it's in Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Plenty of the major nations don't have a national stadium but they seem to manage just fine yet the dinosaurs here think it's a must have? Because of what? Petty Glasgow rivalry? Geez peace!

I disagree with some of his reasoning but some of conclusions are bang on. Especially about the Hampden redevelopment and highlighting that the ownership model is pretty farcical.

In general, the current model of leasing can't go on and I've resigned myself to the fact that this probably means the end for Hampden Park unless they somehow manage to find money to buy the stadium or build a new one. Cant see that happening.

I expect we're looking at touring the country - Celtic Park, Ibrox, Murrayfield, Easter Road, Tynecastle, new Aberdeen stadium when eventually built. I've kinda softened my stance and think it'll probably be OK to be honest. The flexibility of always being able to pick a stadium to reflect the opponent has benefits. 

What I wont tolerate though is it going to Celtic Park or Ibrox (or both) and nowhere else. Unacceptable. The financial benefit to clubs of hosting internationals should also be very modest.

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

He's not very gracious towards Queen's Park for helping out when his stadium was falling apart.

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Leasing, maintaining and redeveloping Hampden is a vanity project we can't afford. 

Costs about the same as Stewart Regan. I know what I'd rather have...

One thing that fans can forget about is the possibility of Hampden getting redeveloped. It will never happen in the present climate.

Where does the funding come from? Certainly not from lottery funding or government funds. Why would they? Hampden in its current guise is recognised as a top notch stadium which has staged Champions League Final, other premiere European club finals, the Commonwealth Games and will be a venue for Euro 2020. So clearly, nobody is going to feel the need to dip their hands into their pockets to shell out multi-millions to revamp an already top notch stadium.

Fans will either have to accept Hampden with its flaws as it isn't going to change or look elsewhere.

8 hours ago, slasher said:

Leasing, maintaining and redeveloping Hampden is a vanity project we can't afford. I'd rather see the money going to grass roots coaching and development of facilities. Maybe then we'll be going to watch world class Scotland players in 20 years in modern, well equipped stadia whether it's in Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow.

I know a false dichotomy when I see one.

What are the figures involved?  Do we get no new facilities unless we scrap Hampden?  Would all the money that isn’t there to redevelop Hampden be ploughed into grassroots?

49 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I know a false dichotomy when I see one.

What are the figures involved?  Do we get no new facilities unless we scrap Hampden?  Would all the money that isn’t there to redevelop Hampden be ploughed into grassroots?

It's not a trade off, it's about making the best use of your resources. If you want actual figures ask the SFA, they've probably had a feasibility study done. Oh wait, no, they probably haven't, cos they cannae afford it but I'm pretty sure redevelopment costs would be eyewatering.

The only arguments I've heard in favour of Hampden are the same tired old ones that we've all heard before.....it's an oasis of neutrality in Glasgow (diddy team fan nonsense) and it's history and tradition. Don't get me wrong I have a lot of memories associated with the old place but it's time is up.

Edited by slasher

9 hours ago, slasher said:

In other aspects of life this would be known as the "trickle down effect" and we know how that works !

Believing that the SFA would do this goes against the 50 years i have been on this planet and whilst an attractive argument is a complete red herring

29 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

In other aspects of life this would be known as the "trickle down effect" and we know how that works !

Believing that the SFA would do this goes against the 50 years i have been on this planet and whilst an attractive argument is a complete red herring

So, what? Keep ploughing what little money we have into a big white elephant in Mount Florida we don't even own???

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

So, what? Keep ploughing what little money we have into a big white elephant in Mount Florida we don't even own???

Absolutely not - that ludicrous state of affairs should have been sorted once and for all in 2000 and if Hampden is to be kept and redeveloped then it should be this time