The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

25 minutes ago, saintydave said:

Are there not issues with lowering the pitch, close to the water table level already? 

The Malls Mire burn flows under the ground.

Taken from Urban Glasgow....

"Malls Mire runs right under Hampden Park.
It flows approximately from the south west corner of the stadium (the junction of the main stand and what is commonly known as the Rangers end) to the north east of the stadium (the junction of the north stand and what is commonly known as the Celtic end).
The path of the burn is shown on plans (held in the Mitchell Library) from the early 1900's when Hampden was being modernized."

Love the name and history with Hampden.  However, for watching I find the stands too shallow, far from the pitch and the seats around the goal are at a strange angle.  Also in Scotland we have a unique situation where we have 2 huge clubs, 5 large clubs and some smaller ones who could be competing in the Cup finals.  Also Scotland games could have an attendance of 25,000 for friendlies or minnows and a potential 100,000 for a last qualifier or a Italy, Germany etc.  How about rebuilding Hampden, surely a profit could be made over say 50 years.  Into 4 30,000 seaters on top of each other straight off the pitch with a roof between each one.  Thus for an old firm cup final there would be 120,000 in there and for a say East Fife v Ross County final there would be 30,000 but with the stadium full and a great atmosphere.

1 hour ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Love the name and history with Hampden.  However, for watching I find the stands too shallow, far from the pitch and the seats around the goal are at a strange angle.  Also in Scotland we have a unique situation where we have 2 huge clubs, 5 large clubs and some smaller ones who could be competing in the Cup finals.  Also Scotland games could have an attendance of 25,000 for friendlies or minnows and a potential 100,000 for a last qualifier or a Italy, Germany etc.  How about rebuilding Hampden, surely a profit could be made over say 50 years.  Into 4 30,000 seaters on top of each other straight off the pitch with a roof between each one.  Thus for an old firm cup final there would be 120,000 in there and for a say East Fife v Ross County final there would be 30,000 but with the stadium full and a great atmosphere.

Sounds amazing! Any stadiums like that in existence already?

How about rebuilding Hampden, surely a profit could be made over say 50 years.  Into 4 30,000 seaters on top of each other straight off the pitch with a roof between each one.  Thus for an old firm cup final there would be 120,000 in there and for a say East Fife v Ross County final there would be 30,000 but with the stadium full and a great atmosphere.

Just trying to picture this, you're suggesting having a roof over the stadium that rises or lowers depending on the capacity you need?  Quite an engineering challenge there!

Thus for an old firm cup final there would be 120,000 in there and for a say East Fife v Ross County final there would be 30,000 but with the stadium full and a great atmosphere.

I used to work on the new Carisbook stadium (the highlanders stadium in Dunedin NZ) at the time it was the only fixed roof stadium in the World.

This seats could be retracted away for concerts or different events (multi purpose stadium)

With the weather in Scotland a fixed roof stadium would be quite the thing and probably the first in football..a better concept is to install huge screens to section of the upper tears.

The example here of East Fife playing us in a final in front of 30,000 is ridiculous!

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The Malls Mire burn flows under the ground.

Taken from Urban Glasgow....

"Malls Mire runs right under Hampden Park.
It flows approximately from the south west corner of the stadium (the junction of the main stand and what is commonly known as the Rangers end) to the north east of the stadium (the junction of the north stand and what is commonly known as the Celtic end).
The path of the burn is shown on plans (held in the Mitchell Library) from the early 1900's when Hampden was being modernized."

That is interesting. :ok:

That would explain why there was a pub called "The Mire". It's not there now though. Burnt doon.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

That is interesting. :ok:

That would explain why there was a pub called "The Mire". It's not there now though. Burnt doon.

Didn't know about The Mire, where was it?

I suppose if the will was there it might be possible to re-route the burn, not sure lowering the pitch would increase capacity enough to justify the cost though? The spectators would have to enter and leave via the same gates as now, which are busy enough as it is...

I'm generally pro-Hampden. It looks dated now, being rebuilt just before newer, better designs started to come in, but complaints about no atmosphere are mince. It depends on what happens on the pitch and on how the crowd reacts -. v SLovakia and England in this campaign, v Italy and France ten years ago, the noise was phenomenal. Wembley may be impressive, but you could read an improving book during an international there, with that boring team and rubbish crowd.

That said, I'm going to try nipping along to Hearts - St Johnstone. Keen to see what Murrayfield is like without having to endure rugby.

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Didn't know about The Mire, where was it?

I suppose if the will was there it might be possible to re-route the burn, not sure lowering the pitch would increase capacity enough to justify the cost though? The spectators would have to enter and leave via the same gates as now, which are busy enough as it is...

Aikenhead Road, next to the International bar.

9 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

Apparently if Scotland leave then QP will likely go under...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/queens-park-president-warns-sfa-11364873

£800,000 per year is a bit steep. 

The SFA should offer to buy Hampden, redevelop it and let QP play there free of charge. 

Might not be viable but worth looking into. 

On 10/12/2017 at 7:56 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

The National Stadium should be in Glasgow, no if buts or maybes.

Agree totally. Edinburgh isn’t a football city and nowhere else comes close to coping with the infrastucture that 50 thousand fans bring.

10 hours ago, Ormond said:

Agree totally. Edinburgh isn’t a football city and nowhere else comes close to coping with the infrastucture that 50 thousand fans bring.

yet they manage 67,000 at murrayfield and 17,000 at Tynecastle which as you know are within a stones throw of each other on the same afternoon?

I agree the national stadium should be in Glasgow though 

Just now, hannibal smith said:

yet they manage 67,000 at murrayfield and 17,000 at Tynecastle which as you know are within a stones throw of each other on the same afternoon?

I agree the national stadium should be in Glasgow though 

Nowhere else after Edinburgh has been removed from the equation I meant.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Murrayfield prostituting themselves here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41788768

As much as I’d hate Glasgow to lose Scotland games (it’s where I live) part of me wouldn’t mind big games being played at Murrayfield. 

It is a far superior stadium to Hampden. 

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

Murrayfield is never a fitba’ ground. Our national stadium should be in Glasgow, end of. 

Maybe but Hampden isn’t a great stadium. It’s not necessarily as bad as some make out and I won’t be disappointed if we stay there though.

If the SFA doesn’t renew its contract with QP then I have a feeling they will move games around with Ibrox and Parkhead being the main venues with the odd one being at Murrayfield. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe but Hampden isn’t a great stadium. It’s not necessarily as bad as some make out and I won’t be disappointed if we stay there though.

If the SFA doesn’t renew its contract with QP then I have a feeling they will move games around with Ibrox and Parkhead being the main venues with the odd one being at Murrayfield. 

I fear that too with Celtic and Rangers seeing the financial benefits as usual. Hampden needs to be redeveloped.