The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

Murrayfield will never happen for the same reason as I don’t see us moving from Hampden.

Imagine Rangers v Celtic games at Murrayfield? Imagine the safety issues re segregation?

Dont see us simply doing a pass the parcel for cup semi and finals between them either. 

Hampden should stay however it’s a poor stadium experience unless you are in its best stand or have good seats in the opposite North stand. It has way too many very bad seats. 

3 hours ago, macy37 said:

Murrayfield will never happen for the same reason as I don’t see us moving from Hampden.

Imagine Rangers v Celtic games at Murrayfield? Imagine the safety issues re segregation?

Dont see us simply doing a pass the parcel for cup semi and finals between them either. 

Hampden should stay however it’s a poor stadium experience unless you are in its best stand or have good seats in the opposite North stand. It has way too many very bad seats. 

I want us to stay at Hampden as well but it probably makes more sense to leave it. 

The SFA pay a fortune (£900,000 rings a bell) per year to QP. They could get suitable office space in Glasgow or Edinburgh for much cheaper than that and could split the gate money with Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and whoever owns Murrayfield these days for Scotland games. 

The Old Firm playing at Murrayfield wouldn’t be much different to them playing at Hampden or Hibs and Hearts playing at Hampden. Not sure the Police in Edinburgh or ScotRail would like it much but that’s life.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

The SFA pay a fortune (£900,000 rings a bell) per year to QP. They could get suitable office space in Glasgow or Edinburgh for much cheaper than that and could split the gate money with Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and whoever owns Murrayfield these days for Scotland games. 

That’s what gets on my tits though. Why should some clubs profit through renting their grounds out for some serious money and the rest of us go out of pocket? 

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

That’s what gets on my tits though. Why should some clubs profit through renting their grounds out for some serious money and the rest of us go out of pocket? 

The benefits of having a decent stadium?

Only one club is benefitting at the moment (if you discount Aberdeen last week) and that’s Queens Park. Why should they profit? 

The only other solution would be to split half the gate money from all Scotland home games between all senior clubs and the  Murrayfield owners but I can’t see the club whose stadiums will be used going for that. 

As I have said on here before, my ideal solution would either be for the SFA to buy Hampden from QP and renovate it (fat chance of this) or to build a brand new stadium (even less chance of this). 

None of the realistic choices seem ideal at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The benefits of having a decent stadium?

Aye, that’s our fault for having the stupidity to form a club in a small city/town right enough. What we should do is build a 20,000 plus then just so we might get a chunk of the SFA’s cash. God forbid the National team and any fortunes that may come with it come to any team out of the top 5 big boys. The cheek of us diddy clubs at times not knowing our place.

Edited by Ormond

12 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Aye, that’s our fault for having the stupidity to form a club in a small city/town right enough. What we should do is build a 20,000 plus then just so we might get a chunk of the SFA’s cash. God forbid the National team and any fortunes that may come with it come to any team out of the top 5 big boys. The cheek of us diddy clubs at times not knowing our place.

What an odd rant. Do the phrases ‘life isn’t fair’ or ‘tough titty’ mean anything to you? :lol: 

Should we play internationals at Somerset Park or Broadwood?

It’s the way of the world mate. I don’t support any of the clubs that would benefit either but unless we stay at Hampden (hopefully we will) it’s really the only solution. If we do stay at Hampden then only one club will benefit. How is that fairer?

What alternative would you suggest?

Moving games around the most suitable stadiums is exactly what almost every other country in the world without a designated national stadium does. Germany is a prime example. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

What an odd rant. Do the phrases ‘life isn’t fair’ or ‘tough titty’ mean anything to you? :lol: 

Should we play internationals at Somerset Park or Broadwood?

It’s the way of the world mate. I don’t support any of the clubs that would benefit either but unless we stay at Hampden (hopefully we will) it’s really the only solution. If we do stay at Hampden then only one club will benefit. How is that fairer?

What alternative would you suggest?

Moving games around the most suitable stadiums is exactly what almost every other country in the world without a designated national stadium does. Germany is a prime example. 

I don’t give two hoots what Germany does. The spread of the money in our top league is dreadful as it is without the added help of National team revenue making the rich richer. Hampden a million times over for me. Come up with a package to buy from Queens Park then get the money together to upgrade. Not falling for the money isn’t there anymore. Every country on the planet seems to come up with the cash when it’s needed for huge projects. Football is our national pastime. 

Edited by Ormond

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I don’t give two hoots what Germany does. The spread of the money in our top league is dreadful as it is without the added help of National team revenue making the rich richer. Hampden a million times over for me. Come up with a package to buy from Queens Park then get the money together to upgrade. Not falling for the money isn’t there anymore. Every country on the planet seems to come up with the cash when it’s needed for huge projects. It’s our national pastime. 

I can’t disagree with any of that but we need to be realistic. 

There are only three options on the table as far as I know:

1. We stay at Hampden and negotiate a new lease with Queens Park. 

2. We leave Hampden and play all qualifiers at Murrayfield.

3. We leave Hampden and play our qualifiers at the 5/6 biggest stadiums in Scotland (90% of them will be at Celtic Park, Ibrox and possibly Murrayfield). 

I think most people would go for option 1 but if the greedy bastards at the SFA make the decision based on money alone, options 2 and 3 become real possibilities.

Option 2 wouldn’t be ideal because we will end up playing the Faroes or Luxembourg on a wet Monday night in November in front of 15,000 fans in a 67,000 seater stadium. 

I have a feeling that the SFA are only talking to Murrayfield to make Queens Park shite their drawers and accept a lower rent for the next 20 years. 

Touring big stadiums not an option for me. Has to be a dedicated stadium. In order of preference:

1. Buy Hampden from Queen's Park and take control of the stadium.

2. Share Murrayfield with SRU.

3. Build a new stadium from scratch.

IMO, 2 wont happen despite SFA appearing to contemplate it. Rangers v Celtic would be an absolute disaster. And given we cant afford to build new stadium, we're pretty screwed.

23 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Touring big stadiums not an option for me. Has to be a dedicated stadium. In order of preference:

1. Buy Hampden from Queen's Park and take control of the stadium.

2. Share Murrayfield with SRU.

3. Build a new stadium from scratch.

IMO, 2 wont happen despite SFA appearing to contemplate it. Rangers v Celtic would be an absolute disaster. And given we cant afford to build new stadium, we're pretty screwed.

I don’t think we will share Murrayfield either and don’t think we should. Trying to even half fill it against smaller teams on a Sunday or Monday night would be impossible. 

I seem to remember something similar happening 20 years ago when the lease was last up. Murrayfield wasn’t an option then but there was definitely noises made about not renewing the lease. 

Your first option would be my preferred choice as well but I think it will be the status quo for the next 20 years with the SFA paying a slightly lower rent. 

Is the £900k quoted to rent Hampden really a bad deal?

I know the upkeep of Fir Park runs in to 6 figures annually, not including the pitch, so can only imagine Hampden is considerably more.

I wouldn’t imagine Queens Park are creaming massive profit off the rent after all the costs involved in the upkeep of a stadium that size.

I dont know if it's a bad deal or not.

My main gripe is with the lack of a controllable asset - if it wanted to, can the SFA bulldoze and redevelop the end stands, for example? It's actually a shite state of affairs - no asset to sell that might help fund the development of a new stadium. Ideal final solution would be for a new purpose built stadium in city centre (eg: Cardiff) but it's pretty hard to see how that will ever happen.

Even a partnership with council to build a multi-purpose stadium that could host large concerts might be a better solution than we have currently. I dont really see how paying rent to Queen's Park and there being a load of bureaucracy preventing redevelopment is good for the national game. I'd accept five years of touring other stadiums if it helped fund a solution to this problem. As always, we're going to get left behind in the modern game.

Binding ourselves to another 20 year lease with limited control or scope for redevelopment is a massive commitment to be honest. It'll be 2040 when that lease ends and it's pretty inconceivable that we might be left with the same Hampden that sits there now.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting statement from Queen’s Park released today. 

They claim the vast majority of the rent the SFA pay is actually kept by them for the upkeep of the stadium. Makes sense I suppose but it sounds like the SFA are actually getting a pretty good deal.

I suspect the noises made by the SFA about leaving Hampden are bullshit right enough and they are trying to frighten QP into lowering the rent. 

http://www.queensparkfc.co.uk/?p=6195

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Interesting statement from Queen’s Park released today. 

They claim the vast majority of the rent the SFA pay is actually kept by them for the upkeep of the stadium. Makes sense I suppose but it sounds like the SFA are actually getting a pretty good deal.

I suspect the noises made by the SFA about leaving Hampden are bullshit right enough and they are trying to frighten QP into lowering the rent. 

http://www.queensparkfc.co.uk/?p=6195

Good on Queens for calling out that arsehole Regan on his lies.

Think murrayfield is a fantastic rugger stadium however I still think it looks odd with the space between the goals and the stands behind the goal when football has been played there recently with hearts.

i think we have to find a way to demolish the current east and west stands at hampden, redesign them, bring them close behind the goal and still maintain the circular bowl shape.

18 hours ago, JECK said:

Think murrayfield is a fantastic rugger stadium however I still think it looks odd with the space between the goals and the stands behind the goal when football has been played there recently with hearts.

i think we have to find a way to demolish the current east and west stands at hampden, redesign them, bring them close behind the goal and still maintain the circular bowl shape.

No way I see anybody investing in Hampden. Why would they? It is a Grade A facility only built around 20 years ago capable of hosting the creme de la creme of international, European club and domestic club level finals. There is no way grants would provide for a refit and no chance of any outside party throwing multiple millions into it.

I see two options. Either take it as it is or move elsewhere.

On 26/11/2017 at 9:44 PM, JECK said:

(Sigh) Again, the Tynecastle pitch it toatty. The dimensions of the Murrayfield pitch were the same as Tynecastle. The pitch would be extended further should the SFA see sense and relocate home games to Murrayfield