To stay or go? - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

To stay or go?

andyD

It seems (according to press report i've just read) that Strachan only informed his team of the new formation we'd be playing in Slovenia on the morning of the match. 

No shape work in training, no coaching of roles, no practice of link-up play. Biggest game in a decade, Strachan decides to switch our system and doesn't even work on it in training. 

Top work :ok: 

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What is it with these idiots saying we can't have a foreign manager because of "our traditions" and "just because, Berti and aw that, ye know ?".

The arguments of a complete idiot.

Listening to the radio and they were all just blindly suggesting Moyes, McInnes and co for Scotland, Michael Stewart was correct in pointing out it was time to consider a foreign manager. Why the fück is it so hard for us to comprehend a non-Scot managing our team ?

Why do we always have to stick with mediocre home grown candidates out of "tradition" ?

Fück yir insular, narrow minded "tradition".

If Strachan goes I'd prefer if we looked for a foreigner.

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It seems (according to press report i've just read) that Strachan only informed his team of the new formation we'd be playing in Slovenia on the morning of the match. 

No shape work in training, no coaching of roles, no practice of link-up play. Biggest game in a decade, Strachan decides to switch our system and doesn't even work on it in training. 

If that's the case (to be clear, i'm not suggesting that you're lying :lol:) then it's inexcusable.

We don't have the players to be able to change systems at short notice, we need to be drilled as to what we're doing in every situation.

Who is reporitng this? Would be interesting to know who is leaking stuff like this.

Just now, Lion Rampant said:

If that's the case (to be clear, i'm not suggesting that you're lying :lol:) then it's inexcusable.

We don't have the players to be able to change systems at short notice, we need to be drilled as to what we're doing in every situation.

Who is reporitng this? Would be interesting to know who is leaking stuff like this.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/09/gordon-strachan-genetics-scotland-world-cup

Defenders with the genetics of a Scotsman should clear an unremarkable free-kick and equally standard corner. Defenders with the genetics of a Scotsman shouldn’t let a German second division player score twice in international football, with Roman Bezjak left in splendid isolation both times.

Advertisement

Strachan had informed his team of a sudden switch to a 4-4-2 formation only six hours before Scotland’s biggest game in a decade. What does this say for preparation? In the buildup, Strachan basically wrote off the immediate aftermath of the win over Slovakia. “The day after the game footballers cannot take anything in apart from: ‘Well done, that was great.’ They are too tired,” he claimed.

Forgive us for believing it should be the job of Strachan and his coaches to ensure they do listen. As a comparison, Michael O’Neill will never substitute paranoia that his team detail may emerge for making sure Northern Ireland’s players know every element of their structure at the earlier possible juncture.

The setup Strachan used, in trying to match Slovenia, is dangerous at modern international level. Scotland’s players were far too spread out, to the point where they lacked options when in possession and could easily be picked off by the hosts.

O’Neill and others have gone where Strachan hasn’t, by maximising every ounce of what falls at their disposal. That speaks directly to effective management of relatively mediocre talent, not genetics. After presiding over consecutive and misfiring qualifying campaigns, Strachan shouldn’t be given the chance to deliver more excuses.

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

There was a discussion on here after the Slovakia game last year where it was highlighted how obvious it was that there is a clear lack of preparation on the part of Strachan and his coaching team when it comes to players knowing their roles and the teams style of play and objectives. Slovakia away last year there was 11 players just running about and they clearly didnt have a clue how they were supposed to approach thst game, nothing has changed in the intervening 12 months.

Have no preference either way - open it up to all applicants and pick the best man for the job. Unfortunately, our benchmark for that position is probably different to the SFAs benchmark - they wont be having anyone who's likely to make life awkward for them (which is more likely to be the case if they are not mates with the board and the media). 

On the one hand, I'd sooner bring in an outsider but feel the media would be very quick to turn on him. On the other, we go Scottish and we're likely to get a Yes man who's inferior to Strachan. I doubt there's any Scottish manager worth his salt who'd be willing to take on the national team at a stage in their career where it disrupts their progress at club - the odds are stacked hugely against the national manager so it really needs to be someone who has nothing to lose and nothing to prove. Role was perfect for Strachan and if he goes, I don't see any decent Scottish managers who might be tempted being good enough for the role. 

Best hope we have of success is spreading the net as far and as wide as possible and hoping theirs a manager out there who thrives on a massive challenge like us. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/09/gordon-strachan-genetics-scotland-world-cup

Defenders with the genetics of a Scotsman should clear an unremarkable free-kick and equally standard corner. Defenders with the genetics of a Scotsman shouldn’t let a German second division player score twice in international football, with Roman Bezjak left in splendid isolation both times.

Advertisement

Strachan had informed his team of a sudden switch to a 4-4-2 formation only six hours before Scotland’s biggest game in a decade. What does this say for preparation? In the buildup, Strachan basically wrote off the immediate aftermath of the win over Slovakia. “The day after the game footballers cannot take anything in apart from: ‘Well done, that was great.’ They are too tired,” he claimed.

Forgive us for believing it should be the job of Strachan and his coaches to ensure they do listen. As a comparison, Michael O’Neill will never substitute paranoia that his team detail may emerge for making sure Northern Ireland’s players know every element of their structure at the earlier possible juncture.

The setup Strachan used, in trying to match Slovenia, is dangerous at modern international level. Scotland’s players were far too spread out, to the point where they lacked options when in possession and could easily be picked off by the hosts.

O’Neill and others have gone where Strachan hasn’t, by maximising every ounce of what falls at their disposal. That speaks directly to effective management of relatively mediocre talent, not genetics. After presiding over consecutive and misfiring qualifying campaigns, Strachan shouldn’t be given the chance to deliver more excuses.

Very disappointing. The next few weeks will be interesting, I can see the SFA wanting to keep him on and Strachan chucking it.

3 minutes ago, Mox said:

There was a discussion on here after the Slovakia game last year where it was highlighted how obvious it was that there is a clear lack of preparation on the part of Strachan and his coaching team when it comes to players knowing their roles and the teams style of play and objectives. Slovakia away last year there was 11 players just running about and they clearly didnt have a clue how they were supposed to approach thst game, nothing has changed in the intervening 12 months.

Yeah, i was probably involved in that discussion as it is something i was very critical of at the time. 

That report about the players on being told has certainly now made my mind up, he has to go. Wasn't sure what to think until now, the run over this year has been good, the players appear to want to play for him but to go into our biggest game in 10 years and only tell the players 6 hours before kick off about the formation is scandalous. 

Allardyce would be my pick. Has that knack of getting results which few managers have. Very unlikely though as he clearly enjoys the readies and the SFA purse strings just aren't loose enough. Even a word from his mate Fergie probably wouldn't be enough. He knows he just needs to bide his time and pick up a relegation rescue job in the EPL in the new year when clubs start to panic. 

Michael O'Neil would be next and if N Ireland lose their play-off I'd be going all out to get him. 

17 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

Michael O'Neil would be next and if N Ireland lose their play-off I'd be going all out to get him. 

Michael O'Neil has the same philosophy as Martin O'Neill 

A good strong defensive unit made up of cluggers 

Park the bus, play back to front in the main & look for free kicks and corners to lump it into the box then play counter 

Lose the first goal and both are fvcked

Even if we did get O'Neil we havent got the players for that mentality 

A step back to the dark ages   

No thanks 

We don't have a competitive game until next September. The SFA won't be in any hurry to do anything. Wouldn't be surprised if they tell Strachan to take a few months off to decide what he wants to do. Save themselves a few months salary. I'm not sure what kind of manager would take the job on just now, knowing their are no proper games for 11 months.

They might decide to leave the job open for a few months and suss out who might be available and interested with a view to appointing somebody next March/April time.

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Park the bus, play back to front in the main & look for free kicks and corners to lump it into the box then play counter 

No thanks 

I wouldn't say Michael O'Neill is of the same vein as Martin O'Neill. He has NI playing to their strengths, he doesn't play like that through choice they dont have the attacking players we do. He was interviewed last week in paper over here saying he is reluctant to move into club management due to lack of control, chief execs, chairman etc getting rid of you at a drop of a hat. His planning and prepartion is meticulous, clearly mile ahead of GS. He may well see Scotland as a different kind of challange from NI. I for one would welcome him to the job.

That piece in the Guardian is a hatchet job. The players obviously train for various formations including 4-4-2. Apart from anything else we finished the previous game with 2 up front. It's not like it's an alien concept to them all. They are meant to be professionals. 

6 minutes ago, pca68 said:

That piece in the Guardian is a hatchet job. The players obviously train for various formations including 4-4-2. Apart from anything else we finished the previous game with 2 up front. It's not like it's an alien concept to them all. They are meant to be professionals. 

It reads to me that they are criticising his planning. He appears to plan well for the first game then just wings it for the second one. There was something mentioned somewhere that they dont discuss anything with the players on Friday because their to 'tired' to think about it ??

16 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

I wouldn't say Michael O'Neill is of the same vein as Martin O'Neill. He has NI playing to their strengths, he doesn't play like that through choice they dont have the attacking players we do. He was interviewed last week in paper over here saying he is reluctant to move into club management due to lack of control, chief execs, chairman etc getting rid of you at a drop of a hat. His planning and prepartion is meticulous, clearly mile ahead of GS. He may well see Scotland as a different kind of challange from NI. I for one would welcome him to the job.

Maybe i was being a bit harsh 

Just completely disillusioned right now 

I thought i had been broken a couple of years ago but there must have still been that bit in me

11 minutes ago, pca68 said:

Absolute nonsense. Assuming it is factually correct, it merely highlights how poorly the coaching staff plan and coach the players. 

Now you're attempting to blame the players for Strachan switching his system hours before kick off and not even working on it in training. Deary me. 

30 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

No thanks 

Spot on btw. O'Neill has done a great job with NI but his approach is very much as you described. We need someone who can actually get what is not a bad group of players to express themselves, be creative and ultimately implement an actual footballing philosophy throughout the national team and subsequently guys like O'Neil, Tommy Wright, Moyes, McLeish, Lambert etc just dont fit the bill and dont have the talent to do that.

42 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

No thanks 

A defensive unit made of cluggers? Have you watched any of our games? Evans, brunt and Davis, ferguson, mcginn can hardly be described as that! 

Just out out of curiosity what type of players mentality would MON need to work with?

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

Why is nobody mentioning the obvious candidate?

He's Scottish. He has the heritage. He's well experienced at dealing with shite players. He's probably desperate (and cheap) enough. Darren Ferguson. Take him. Please.

Do you fancy the job? You wouldn't need to start until next August, or so, if you are busy at present.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

No thanks 

I think you are being rather harsh with that assessment. They've got a couple of good offensive players. Maybe not as good as ours (highly debatable) but they've done just as well as us on that side of the game.

Scored 17 and conceded 6. Compare that to Scotland scored 17 but conceded 12.

The only way we will qualify is if we cut out some of the horrendous mistakes at the back. If that means going a little negative and finding a couple of "cluggers" who will attack every ball in the box and play safety first I'll take it. I'm afraid any other playing approach is going to see us get knocked out.

Plus I don't see Northern Ireland dropping to many stupid points the last 4 years. The rare occasion they have they were more than capable of making up for it unlike us throwing away leads against Poland and England late on.