To stay or go? - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

To stay or go?

andyD

7 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

I hope he hears from the realists who understand the reality of the situation and the value of his work, more than those driven by misguided disappointment who are lashing out at the moment.

If he'd got us to the playoffs he would've been treated like a god. He was only just a gnats wing from being god. That's pretty close. Not close enough for some. I understand they're passionate and feeling hurt, but I just want to have at least a decent chance of qualifying for the Euros. With Strachan we know we would have that. With someone else we might not.

We have a manager who’s presided over a home draw to Lithuania, a thumping to our biggest rivals for 2nd and a 2nd half yesterday that I still can’t fathom. 

We’ve been better the last few months but let’s look at the whole campaign and have a realistic assessment of why we’ve failed.  Your attempts to characterise those who want change as angry and lashing out add nothing to the debate. 

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It hasn’t worked though, that’s why we’re out... 

Hes played plenty friendlies and not given players a chance to show what they can do. I can understand why Ryan Fraser is pissed off. What else can he do to earn a chance? 

Good point.

At the Slovakia game at Hampden last week the guy who sits next to me pointed every bad Bannen pass out and at the end I was pretty against him playing against Slovenia. Turned out he was one of our best players against Slovenia. Go figure.

I've been reading posts on here for so long- loads of them yours, but have only now felt compelled enough to chime in on something I feel is very important. I'd like Strachan to take a possible successor as assistant. I am not comfortable with someone turning up and taking over without some kind of background in the national set up. 

Andy Roxburgh had Craig Brown and things went from decent to decent again.

2 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

I do not want Moyes. Prefer Lambert if a Scot and will perhaps have a wee interest at 16\1. 

Scott Gemmill. He's the best placed successor, but only after at least one more crack at it for Strachan.

9 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

Good point.

At the Slovakia game at Hampden last week the guy who sits next to me pointed every bad Bannen pass out and at the end I was pretty against him playing against Slovenia. Turned out he was one of our best players against Slovenia. Go figure.

I've been reading posts on here for so long- loads of them yours, but have only now felt compelled enough to chime in on something I feel is very important. I'd like Strachan to take a possible successor as assistant. I am not comfortable with someone turning up and taking over without some kind of background in the national set up. 

Andy Roxburgh had Craig Brown and things went from decent to decent again.

Succession planning is what a well run organisation would be doing. Unfortunately the SFA are not a well run organisation. 

1 minute ago, DizzyVizion said:

Scott Gemmill. He's the best placed successor, but only after at least one more crack at it for Strachan.

Not sure but old enough to remember my astonishment at first Roxburgh then Brown appointments. Different era right enough.

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We have a manager who’s presided over a home draw to Lithuania, a thumping to our biggest rivals for 2nd and a 2nd half yesterday that I still can’t fathom. 

We’ve been better the last few months but let’s look at the whole campaign and have a realistic assessment of why we’ve failed.  Your attempts to characterise those who want change as angry and lashing out add nothing to the debate. 

Probably not, but I notice you neglected to point out that I called you passionate. A bit of an insight that. Quite a negative response, but I take your point.

As I'd replied to another post earlier, I'm only trying to bring some balance to the force.

About not bringing in more youth, I agree he could do more. I'd like him to give Burke an extended run for sure. He's got the potential to bring a bit of class. As does Gauld who I'd also like to see in the senior team for a bit.

35 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

I hope he hears from the realists who understand the reality of the situation and the value of his work, more than those driven by misguided disappointment who are lashing out at the moment.

If he'd got us to the playoffs he would've been treated like a god. He was only just a gnats wing from being god. That's pretty close. Not close enough for some. I understand they're passionate and feeling hurt, but I just want to have at least a decent chance of qualifying for the Euros. With Strachan we know we would have that. With someone else we might not.

FFS man - hes had 2 years plus to "experiment" and utterly wasted the chances he had. A buffoon (and I hope you are on the wind-up).

9 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Not sure but old enough to remember my astonishment at first Roxburgh then Brown appointments. Different era right enough.

Do you remember the five nil drubbing we got from Portugal?

One of the pundits that night was WGS. 

He sold me way back then that he both understood our limitations  as a footballing nation and also that he had the drive and determination to do something about it. He was angry with the result - angry at the situation. He had the demeanour of someone who wanted desperately to right that wrong.

He's not only a Scotland manager. He's also a Scotland supporter. He's genuinely one of us. If he believes there's someone better he will walk.

11 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

FFS man - hes had 2 years plus to "experiment" and utterly wasted the chances he had. A buffoon (and I hope you are on the wind-up).

He's been building from rubble so 2 years is about right. And what makes you think qualification should be easier than it is? Look at the players he has to pick from.

What manager and what players would you propose?

4 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

He sold me way back then that he both understood our limitations  as a footballing nation and also that he had the drive and determination to do something about it. He was angry with the result - angry at the situation. He had the demeanour of someone who wanted desperately to right that wrong.

He's not only a Scotland manager. He's also a Scotland supporter. He's genuinely one of us. If he believes there's someone better he will walk.

Loads of us can see the problems and see possible solutions (despite not being a full-time football-watcher).

Trouble is hes shite and clueless. I've coached at a very low level for 12 years and I wouldn't put him in charge of my kids teams..

Don't disagree and would never question the wee man's commitment and love of Scotland. I believe that he has improved us. If forced to be critical of him, it would be his loyalty to certain players and what appears to be reluctance to play likes of McGinn and McGregor, in form players. However, he is in charge and on the spot and he has my respect. I also like his patter which offends many on this board.

2 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

Loads of us can see the problems and see possible solutions (despite not being a full-time football-watcher).

Trouble is hes shite and clueless. I've coached at a very low level for 12 years and I wouldn't put him in charge of my kids teams..

He'd defo use height as an excuse there. :lol:

1 minute ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Don't disagree and would never question the wee man's commitment and love of Scotland. I believe that he has improved us. If forced to be critical of him, it would be his loyalty to certain players and what appears to be reluctance to play likes of McGinn and McGregor, in form players. However, he is in charge and on the spot and he has my respect. I also like his patter which offends many on this board.

Spot on. I feel the exact same.

He feels the pressure to deliver the glory days. That makes throwing the dice a bit tougher I think.

I would hope he finds a happier medium next time round (fingers crossed there is a next time).

Since January 2013 to be exact

I was at that game 24 years ago and he was talking utter shite

It was the night a team died, the night the cycle of a number of good players for Scotland getting to the end of their international careers

Gough, McPherson, Levein, McStay, McCall

The SFA typically put a sticking plaster on it and 5 years later you could see for yourself how our talent was dwindling 

In came Calderwood, Craig Burley, Tosh McKinlay, Darren Jackson

Righting the wrong involves youth development like other countries did when they realised the deterioration 24 years and 24 hours ago the same Strachan was blaming genetics and not the real reasons

7 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

That's overly harsh I think.

He was only seconds away from beating England.

Plus got 2 goals against Slovenia who were evidently on a mission. And everyone else got zilch!

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Since January 2013 to be exact

I was at that game 24 years ago and he was talking utter shite

It was the night a team died, the night the cycle of a number of good players for Scotland getting to the end of their international careers

Gough, McPherson, Levein, McStay, McCall

The SFA typically put a sticking plaster on it and 5 years later you could see for yourself how our talent was dwindling 

In came Calderwood, Craig Burley, Tosh McKinlay, Darren Jackson

Righting the wrong involves youth development like other countries did when they realised the deterioration 24 years and 24 hours ago the same Strachan was blaming genetics and not the real reasons

McPherson? Dave McPherson? Come on.

2 minutes ago, duncan II said:

McPherson? Dave McPherson? Come on.

The same McPherson that played in the team that qualified and played at Italia 90 and Euro 92 alongside Gough yes

I'm out of here. Take care and I respect all viewpoints.

One of the many reasons I love being a Scotland supporter is that you can have a Rangers supporter hugging and jumping up and down with a Celtic supporter and neither of them would have the faintest idea of the others religion or club loyalties. Where else in the wonderful world of football would that even be possible? Where else in the world of football can bridge that divide? Only Hampden Park can do that.

C'mon Scotland!