To stay or go? - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

To stay or go?

andyD

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No it wasn't in inspite of manager actually. Just remember how lambasted he was for picking Martin - a player he stood by despite booing from fans who got us key wins to keep us in the reckoning until the last match. 

As I said lets go foreign now on manager front as I am far from excited by the Scottish options. Odd as around 5 to 10 years ago there were plenty of options but they look far less appetising prospects now.

Sorry but using chris martin as vindication of the manager is absolutely mental haha, I never booed him, and his goals v Slovenia/Slovakia were pivotal, but if Griffiths had started the campaign we would have been out of sight by the Slovakia game.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, deso1 said:

Sorry but using chris martin as vindication of the manager is absolutely mental haha, I never booed him, and his goals v Slovenia/Slovakia were pivotal, but if Griffiths had started the campaign we would have been out of sight by the Slovakia game.

I suppose you heard him being cheered onto the pitch then V Slovenia at home. He was a scapegoat for much of this campaign but was our saviour in two must win matches. Sure Leigh Griffiths inclusion earlier would have helped as he has been immense in our last five games.

Point is fans are rightly annoyed Strachan never changed things earlier last night but unwilling to concede his changes (they certainly would not have made) got us key wins when a win looked unlikely.

54 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

I just cannot see any (not a tiny hint) that says Strachan should stay. He is tactically incompetent, arrogant and havers total shiite on every interview. If we stick with him it'll be endless repeats with the same favorites getting a game and him making sure that he never ever seems to accept that someone else (ie most of the country) has a better idea.

Anyone who selects Phillips for 2 consecutive must win games knows F-all about football.

You just cannot defend him.

Anyone  would be better.

100% agree,  take a look at the "match thread" posts before the game kicked off. Most off us were predicting exactly what happened if Strachan stuck with Phillips and Bannan and didn't introduce fresh legs.

I can't take another campaign of Wee Gordon and his weird selections .

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I suppose you heard him being cheered onto the pitch then V Slovenia at home. He was a scapegoat for much of this campaign but was our saviour in two must win matches. Sure Leigh Griffiths inclusion earlier would have helped as he has been immense in our last five games.

Point is fans are rightly annoyed Strachan never changed things earlier last night but unwilling to concede his changes (they certainly would not have made) got us key wins when a win looked unlikely.

But the changes were needed because he had got it wrong in the first place. Also HE only actually brought griffiths Armstrong tierney mcgregor when his hand was forced. As for Thursday nite...personally think he got v lucky, but his changes on Sunday were ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

That doesn't make sense. Wright would have superior players if he were Scotland manager. 

It's also why I'm not convinced with the argument of getting a manager in who is used to doing well with limited players.   

While its undoubtedly clear that in terms of talent we're not the best compared to other international teams, I don't think it necessarily follows that a club manager who punches above his weight domestically will do the same at international level where it's a very different set of circumstances..

Strachan would've been slaughtered if he'd played an inexperienced player in such an important game who then choked under the pressure of the occasion. First half he got his tactics right. Second half was iffy to say the least, but hardly enough for him to be effectively sacked as some here would like him to be.

We need Strachan to continue. He might not be perfect, but you can't deny the quality of his leadership. He loves Scotland. He loves leading Scotlands national team. He loves his players and his players love him. He has built a tight-knit squad who are capable and hungry to succeed for him, and for us! He is now very experienced at an international level and he has built international experience in the youngsters in his squad. To throw all of that away right now would be very bad for oor lovely wee country...

Strachan is the man for Scotland. Nobody is better for Scotland than Strachan. I know some will disagree. But I know more will agree.

I will likely only hear from those who disagree but hey- that's just how the internet works!

3 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

Strachan would've been slaughtered if he'd played an inexperienced player in such an important game who then choked under the pressure of the occasion. First half he got his tactics right. Second half was iffy to say the least, but hardly enough for him to be effectively sacked as some here would like him to be.

We need Strachan to continue. He might not be perfect, but you can't deny the quality of his leadership. He loves Scotland. He loves leading Scotlands national team. He loves his players and his players love him. He has built a tight-knit squad who are capable and hungry to succeed for him, and for us! He is now very experienced at an international level and he has built international experience in the youngsters in his squad. To throw all of that away right now would be very bad for oor lovely wee country...

Strachan is the man for Scotland. Nobody is better for Scotland than Strachan. I know some will disagree. But I know more will agree.

I will likely only hear from those who disagree but hey- that's just how the internet works!

Take cover matey. 

6 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

To a certain extent I agree with you. Up until Sunday everyone was singing his praises and saying how well he's done to get us into a position where we can qualify. Alot of ppl were dismissing Slovenia and already talking about play offs which given our history I couldn't believe the arrogance. I for one would not mind if he continues to manage Scotland but can understand if he wants to leave as it's a thankless task at times.

8 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

Or he could’ve put a young player in who stepped up and thrived at the fact that the manager believes in them... we’ll never know. All we do know is that what Strachan chose to do ended in failure. 

We heard all this “The players like him” nonsense with Levein too. I don’t give a toss if the players like him. He’s not getting the best from them. That’s the be all and end all imo. 

14 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

Did u enjoy the party after the game? Cos I don't know any1 who is keen for strachan to stay...except the folk that go for the piss up not the result.

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Or he could’ve put a young player in who stepped up and thrived at the fact that the manager believes in them... we’ll never know. All we do know is that what Strachan chose to do ended in failure. 

We heard all this “The players like him” nonsense with Levein too. I don’t give a toss if the players like him. He’s not getting the best from them. That’s the be all and end all imo. 

You're kidding, right? Where are these better quality players who you think should be playing?

No disrespect but we can't always blame it on everything else to try hide the fact that we are not gifted with brilliant players. But we are gifted with the ability to play brilliantly as a team, and that's why Strachan is irreplaceable at the moment- because he is capable of making not so great players get us some great results.

We beat Lithuania in Lithuania 3 nil. England only got 1 nil. Nobody scored against Slovenia in Slovenia. We scored twice!

3 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

You're kidding, right? Where are these better quality players who you think should be playing?

No disrespect but we can't always blame it on everything else to try hide the fact that we are not gifted with brilliant players. But we are gifted with the ability to play brilliantly as a team, and that's why Strachan is irreplaceable at the moment- because he is capable of making not so great players get us some great results.

We beat Lithuania in Lithuania 3 nil. England only got 1 nil. Nobody scored against Slovenia in Slovenia. We scored twice!

The bile spouted against strachan is over the top but you've gone the other way. He isn't satan but he's certainly not the messiah either.

3 minutes ago, The Giant said:

Not at all. He is a good manager, and is as qualified as anyone else we are likely to appoint...

Still wouldn't want him and Malky McKay going for lunch time beers then driving our national teams straight through a roundabout! 

I just dont see Allardyce as Scotlands manager.

7 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

You think we’ve been “gifted with ability to play brilliantly as a team” because of Strachan? I honestly don’t know what games you’ve been watching, mate :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I would bet on him playing more of  the likes of McGinn in some friendlies next year. He'd work on broadening the pool and working up more competition for places. But he also needs to pick players based on the opposition, which is where sometimes physique out scores talent. That's just how it is. He's proved before that this is an unavoidable measure required to get results sometimes. It may not be pretty but it works.

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

That doesn't make sense. Wright would have superior players if he were Scotland manager. 

You seem to suffer from the "Scottish football is shite" mentality that many people in this country, including our current manager, have. It is that very attitude that has seen us suffer Bannan, Phillips, Martin and McArthur over the last few days. We need to start actually valuing what we have in Scotland, not just saying "it's shite" and assuming everything from England is wonderful, as the last few qualifying campaigns have proven that is not the case. 

correct great post!

2 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

I would bet on him playing more of  the likes of McGinn in some friendlies next year. He'd work on broadening the pool and working up more competition for places. But he also needs to pick players based on the opposition, which is where sometimes physique out scores talent. That's just how it is. He's proved before that this is an unavoidable measure required to get results sometimes. It may not be pretty but it works.

It hasn’t worked though, that’s why we’re out... 

Hes played plenty friendlies and not given players a chance to show what they can do. I can understand why Ryan Fraser is pissed off. What else can he do to earn a chance? 

27 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

To a certain extent I agree with you. Up until Sunday everyone was singing his praises and saying how well he's done to get us into a position where we can qualify. Alot of ppl were dismissing Slovenia and already talking about play offs which given our history I couldn't believe the arrogance. I for one would not mind if he continues to manage Scotland but can understand if he wants to leave as it's a thankless task at times.

I hope he hears from the realists who understand the reality of the situation and the value of his work, more than those driven by misguided disappointment who are lashing out at the moment.

If he'd got us to the playoffs he would've been treated like a god. He was only just a gnats wing from being god. That's pretty close. Not close enough for some. I understand they're passionate and feeling hurt, but I just want to have at least a decent chance of qualifying for the Euros. With Strachan we know we would have that. With someone else we might not.