To stay or go? - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

To stay or go?

andyD

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strachan is done. You cannot allow your quite understandable fear of the SFA being useless whankers finding a replacement to enter into the decision over whether Strachan is done. Otherwise you'd never replace anyone... devil you know.

It is just time. I called for his appointment and overall he has been a disappointment. Just one thing alone... his total paralysis tactically during the games. So slow to react... He is just not up to it and the fact he surrounds himself with utter morons like McGhee tells me he aint that smart himself. Such a big prickly ego as well for such a wee guy (small man syndrome?), wont miss the smart arse interviews.

It is just time for a change. Madness if he is in charge for a third campaign. We wont qualify, again.

Edited by thplinth

He has to go. Simple as that. Dublin was the turning point in the last campaign for me. He's done well to turn this campaign around, but drawing with Lithuania at home was criminal. Blinded by loyalty, picking the same team that beat Malta. Got his team and subs wrong tonight.

My worry is that "there's no one to replace him", but that's not a good enough reason to keep him. 

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Strachan is done. You cannot allow your quite understandable fear of the SFA being useless whankers finding a replacement to enter into the decision over whether Strachan is done. Otherwise you'd never replace anyone... devil you know.

It is just time. I called for his appointment and overall he has been a disappointment. Just one thing alone... his total paralysis tactically during the games. So slow to react... He is just not up to it and the fact he surrounds himself with utter morons like McGhee tells me he aint that smart himself. Such a big prickly ego as well for such a wee guy (small man syndrome?), wont miss the smart arse interviews.

It is just time for a change. Madness if he is in charge for a third campaign. We wont qualify, again.

Spot on. Hopefully he chucks it otherwise we might be having the same discussions in 2 yrs time.

Just in case some people still think  "we just don't have the player's" this is the gist of the current N Ireland squad. Can anyone really tell me they have better players than us?

Goalkeepers: McGovern (Norwich City), Mannus (St Johnstone), Carroll (Linfield)

Defenders: Hughes (Hearts), G McAuley (West Brom), Evans (West Brom), Brunt (West Brom), C McLaughlin (Millwall), Hodson (Rangers), A Thompson (Bradford City loan), D Lafferty (Sheffield United), Flanagan (Burton Albion)

Midfielders: Davis (Southampton), McGinn (Gwangju), Norwood (Fulham loan), C Evans (Blackburn), Ferguson (Millwall), Dallas (Leeds), Lund (Burton Albion), Paton (St Johnstone), J Jones (Kilmarnock), G Saville (Millwall)

Strikers: K Lafferty (Hearts), Magennis (Charlton), Washington (QPR), McCartan (Bradford City)

6 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Just in case some people still think  "we just don't have the player's" this is the gist of the current N Ireland squad. Can anyone really tell me they have better players than us?

Defenders: Hughes (Hearts), G McAuley (West Brom), Evans (West Brom), Brunt (West Brom), C McLaughlin (Millwall), Hodson (Rangers), A Thompson (Bradford City loan), D Lafferty (Sheffield United), Flanagan (Burton Albion)

Midfielders: Davis (Southampton), McGinn (Gwangju), Norwood (Fulham loan), C Evans (Blackburn), Ferguson (Millwall), Dallas (Leeds), Lund (Burton Albion), Paton (St Johnstone), J Jones (Kilmarnock), G Saville (Millwall)

Strikers: K Lafferty (Hearts), Magennis (Charlton), Washington (QPR), McCartan (Bradford City)

They will probably have more SPL players starting tonight than we did last night! 

He has to go, his arrogance has cost us. This was more evident last night than it was throughout the whole campaign. He went 442 with a slow as feck midfield, he went with dross like bannan and phillips whilst he leaves three other options on the bench who are younger, faster, more energetic and in form too. 

Goodbye Gordon

Oh and please make sure the worlds most dour man, Mark Mghee leaves too

Go. Strachan's stubbornness has cost us big time. 

Last night we were crying out for some drive and energy in the middle of the pitch, yet his absolute refusal to put McGinn or McGregor cost us. We persisted with being over run in the middle of the park and as a consequence, threw away our lead. 

As for his persistence with Matt Phillips... 

Probably has to go now and when he does, wont find too much criticism from me. Need to try and freshen the squad up and Strachan is far too conservative to do it. Fair play to him for trying to salvage something in this campaign but his conservative tactics got us into this mess last year when we laboured to a draw with Lithuania and then capitulated in Slovakia. Continuing with Strachan or continuing with this squad of players is not acceptable, at least one of which needs to change. I'd prefer we changed the management team and the squad.

Do it quickly and get applications in from Scotland and beyond. I'd have no problem going international again.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

He has to go, his arrogance has cost us. This was more evident last night than it was throughout the whole campaign. He went 442 with a slow as feck midfield, he went with dross like bannan and phillips whilst he leaves three other options on the bench who are younger, faster, more energetic and in form too. 

Goodbye Gordon

Oh and please make sure the worlds most dour man, Mark Mghee leaves too

Unfortunately he'll most likely become the new manager. Continuity and all that.

8 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Three names stand out to me from that list. The first two are McAuley and Evans, two centre halves who play regular club football at a high level. Not world beaters, but certainly stronger than anyone we currently have in that position. 

The second name is Kyle Lafferty.  I don't know how he does it but he scores regularly at international level. We haven't had someone like that since Faddy.

So in short, they have guys that can stop goals and guys that can score them. That's why they're doing well at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s an embarrassment that Mackay is even involved in our set up, hardly surprising though. Would consider chucking it if he got the job. 

Aye not many inspiring candidates on the list. The likes of Michael O'Neill are well down the betting. I don't really want Moyes either. I would be happy enough with McInnes. I also wouldn't mind allardyce getting the job.

Just now, GordyA88 said:

Aye not many inspiring candidates on the list. The likes of Michael O'Neill are well down the betting. I don't really want Moyes either. I would be happy enough with McInnes. I also wouldn't mind allardyce getting the job.

Yeah I don’t think Moyes is the right person to take us forward. 

Slovenia looked more motivated than us, they had more drive and desire.

Bad team selection playing so many defensive midfielders sitting on top of slow centre backs.

Strachan failed when he needed to deliver, poor response to changes made by Slovenia at halftime 

Bye Bye.

28 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

If Allardyce got it, then that’s it for me. They’d not be seeing a penny more of my money.

21 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Three names stand out to me from that list. The first two are McAuley and Evans, two centre halves who play regular club football at a high level. Not world beaters, but certainly stronger than anyone we currently have in that position. 

The second name is Kyle Lafferty.  I don't know how he does it but he scores regularly at international level. We haven't had someone like that since Faddy.

So in short, they have guys that can stop goals and guys that can score them. That's why they're doing well at the moment. 

If you look at our (NI) squad we have two fantastic players in Davis and Evans who would walk into most premier league sides. McAuley and Brunt know what it's about and we've also got Cathcart  out injured at the minute. 

Big Kyle seems to have lost a bit of pace in his legs and hasn't been playing that well for us hence why he was dropped last night for Washington. What MON has is a settled team and a settled system that everyone buys into. I don't rate Josh Magennis but he turns up works his socks off for the team and scores the odd goal.  we had 3 millwall players in the team that finished the game yesterday!!! 

I watched your game yesterday and not sure the players have the same desire or work ethic. It all seemed very slow and pedestrian. The worrying thing for me would be that Strachan doesn't seem to know his best team or system after 5 years in charge. 

Paul Lambert has also been quoted

After the initial cringe about Moyes or even Mackay getting the job im thinking thats what we need.

Neither can be accused of their teams being powder puff