Bale out for Wales last two qualifiers - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bale out for Wales last two qualifiers

38 minutes ago, JECK said:

Wales aside how do Ireland keep doing this? 

They have belief in themselves. I better not bring politics in to it as it is a sport, but I can't imagine having your own nation helps a bit too.

Some might say they are lucky, jammy and so on ; but you can't be! To consistienly get to the playoffs and finals. I'm always reminded of Tblisi and our Euros group with Ireland - they went there and won, we lost and shat the bed. The difference between Ireland and us, is that they have testicles and we don't.

Good luck to them. A similar nation, squad and their fans will have an excellent time. I hope they get to the World Cup.

21 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Genetics seemingly

Yes, English and Scottish genes.

Don't get the hatred for Wales. Because they have one world class player?

Ireland are the a brutal football team to watch. And they would quite happily pinch any of our players.

I'll certainly be supporting whoever they get in the playoffs

Fair play to Martin O'Neill and his team.  Like Scotland yesterday, they had to go and beat a team with an enviable home record.  Unlike Scotland yesterday, though, they got the job done.  O'Neill got his tactics spot-on.

They are one dirty, dirty team though!

Ireland are absolutely brutal to watch. Their fans will enhance the tournament more than the team if they make it. That said I'm delighted they've put the daffodil eaters out......they're just a small part of England right enough!

Ireland are much better defensively than we are. They concede much fewer goals, but the flip side to that is that they don't seem to score as much as we do.

They played a similar game last night to how we played on Sunday, the difference being that they defended a whole lot better. They wouldn't have conceded those two goals that we did and you can guarantee that had they taken the lead against England going into injury time, they would have held on.

Those are the fine margins in football that we continually find ourselves on the wrong side of.

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's almost like they're well coached :shocked: 

They probably are, they also set up much more defensively than we do and don't score as many goals as we do.

Last night when looking at the avergae position of their players over 90 mins only one or two were actually within the Wales half.

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

Fair play to Martin O'Neill and his team.  Like Scotland yesterday, they had to go and beat a team with an enviable home record.  Unlike Scotland yesterday, though, they got the job done.  O'Neill got his tactics spot-on.

They are one dirty, dirty team though!

To be fair, any team out of NI, ROI and Scotland could be just as rash in the same circumstances. In the British style of game, the emphasis on physicality runs deep. You combine that with a high stakes situation and a few saucy yellows seem pretty much nailed on. 

Lot of time-wasting from Ireland last night, I thought. That was more surprising, to me, than the challenges. But then again, it's just one of those parts of the modern game, and it's unfortunately of no comfort to be the team who didn't time-waste, and lose, vs. being the one who did time-waste and win.