Tom Petty - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Really wanted to see him at Hyde Park this summer as he didn't play in the UK very often but couldn't make it. So sad about this - he was still coming out with great music and seemed like a really decent guy :(

I think this is the first time that one of my real musical heroes has died. 

Petty has produced some classic stuff, from Breakdown to Southern Accents, from Full Moon Fever to his role in The Postman (only joking with the last one). Strangely his early career mirrors Springsteen's in many ways - a big album in the 70s (Born to Run/Damn the Torpedoes) and a mass-market breakout in the 80s (Born in the USA/Southern Accents) to enduring videos of what was possibly the worst song on each album. But he never reached Springsteen's heights.

I saw him live in 1987 on Dylan's Temples and Flames tour in Birmingham, and had intended to go to Hyde Park in July, but decided against it. Gutted I didn't.

If you get a chance to pick up his biography it is very good.

Edited by Stapes