Las Vegas Mass Shooting - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Las Vegas Mass Shooting

2 hours ago, phart said:

You can't protect yourself from someone 32 floors up with access to a military cache. You have to stop it way before their sitting in the hotel room.

Way too late for that. The only way is a movement as big and powerful as the NRA who fund and frighten the politicians in the same way and I can't see that happening anytime soon. I'm sure you've seen the Jim Jeffries clip on gun control. He sums the whole thing up very nicely, basically their argument is " feck off, we like guns" people will continue to die in the thousands because of an amendment  that was written when people carried flintlocks.

Edited by Nobby

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

No. None. If you search the internet you will find zero examples of guns saving people from criminals. 

Logically thats evidence that more people need to be armed, then some good guy would take out the bad guy. Americans love a good simplification.

Some of the videos on Youtube are fvcking nuts not to mention the comments of agreement that go along with them.

On one side you have the conspiracy theorists - the conspiracy being it's all a big ploy to instigate gun control - the same bile vomited out after Sandy Hook

And on the other you have the NRA, anti gun control brigade not actually promoting conspiracies as such but advocating multiple arguments as to why it's not guns that are the problem

Shite like "If you are pro gun control you are not anti guns as you will need the guns of the police to take citizen's guns away"

Humanity doesnt deserve to survive

I can understand the yanks. They view guns as something essential and like automobiles they accept the casualty and fatality rates that go along with them. Every country seems to have its law enforcement blind spots. I dare say some Yanks read all these stories from the UK about British kids being 'abused on an industrial scale' while the authorities just sit on the sidelines and wonder if we are crazy also. Personally I find the latter far more perplexing than the former.

Anyone who watches US TV knows that many Americans think the Brits are weird. Be that as it may it doesn't change anything though, their attitude to guns and gun ownership is ####ed up. Many modern day states were born out of some sort of violent revolt in the past. Few use the events of over 200 years ago as an excuse to perpetuate a dysfunctional relationship with firearms.

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

Anyone who watches US TV knows that many Americans think the Brits are weird. Be that as it may it doesn't change anything though, their attitude to guns and gun ownership is ####ed up. Many modern day states were born out of some sort of violent revolt in the past. Few use the events of over 200 years ago as an excuse to perpetuate a dysfunctional relationship with firearms.

That's one of the things that I find deeply concerning given the current mood. There are more guns than people in the US but they're not evenly distributed, they're concentrated in the hands of the right wing loons. They already have neo fascist militias cropping up, if these grow unchallenged then it could get very ugly. 

5 minutes ago, biffer said:

That's one of the things that I find deeply concerning given the current mood. There are more guns than people in the US but they're not evenly distributed, they're concentrated in the hands of the right wing loons. They already have neo fascist militias cropping up, if these grow unchallenged then it could get very ugly. 

I heard this morning half of the guns in the USA are owned by 3% of the population.

Going to be some amount of shit coming out in the next few days i predict which will put even more focus on the Brother's "he was just an ordinary guy" remarks

The authorities are already leaning towards him not completely acting alone 

On 10/4/2017 at 1:40 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m not aware of any conspiracy theories (yet) but with these incidents all the information is being provided and controlled by organisations that I normally wouldn’t trust. 

Wife was telling me one last night. Seemingly Paddock worked for the FBI as a gun runner or something similar. He/FBI were trying to entrap some IS who obviously wanted guns but they found out and instead of buying guns at the hotel room they kill Paddock and then take his cache of weapons that they were meant to buy and just shoot at the mass crowd of people down below before fleeing the scene..... 

47 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Wife was telling me one last night. Seemingly Paddock worked for the FBI as a gun runner or something similar. He/FBI were trying to entrap some IS who obviously wanted guns but they found out and instead of buying guns at the hotel room they kill Paddock and then take his cache of weapons that they were meant to buy and just shoot at the mass crowd of people down below before fleeing the scene..... 

Nothing would surprise me with these intelligence agencies. 

The Isis link is interesting since they are funded and supported by western intelligence and their allies apparently. 

1 hour ago, shaggycoo said:

I'm pretty sure that'll be what happened. 

3 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

Yeah because the best person to use for something like that would be a well known gambler in Vegas with pots of cash and a landlord of several properties - was possibly could go wrong?! 

As i said it was one of the conspiracy theories doing the rounds in the US

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Had to laugh at the NRA saying there should be tighter restrictions on the equipment Paddock used to modify his weapons!! Just outlaw the weapons themselves you moronic murder condoning khunts!!

I nearly posted on that earlier. Locking stable door after horse got out (and kicked your head in). 

That said the Nice attack killed 86 people so why are you not saying ban the sale of trucks? People think guns are bad but would you prefer they started to say poison reservoirs? 

14 hours ago, thplinth said:

That said the Nice attack killed 86 people so why are you not saying ban the sale of trucks? People think guns are bad but would you prefer they started to say poison reservoirs? 

Trucks serve a purpose other than killing people, although they can of course be used for killing people (as can iron bars, rope, screwdrivers etc.) Assault rifles have one purpose, which is killing people in large numbers. To me, there is a very big difference

Edited by Pool Q

On 06/10/2017 at 6:21 PM, thplinth said:

I nearly posted on that earlier. Locking stable door after horse got out (and kicked your head in). 

All trucks are registered and you have to have a licence to use one.