5 in midfield name them - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 in midfield name them

runninglikewind

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a def Forrest and Phillips will start.  Heard Strachan say how well they have done.also think Fletcher is a def too so that leaves 2 positions for McGregor mcginn,snodgrass, mcArthur and morrison to fight for.  (and banyan,but hopefully not) i'd for mcginn and McGregor.

Think strachan might pick 1 then morrison or snodgrass the other 

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I think Strachan will go with Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison, Philips and Forrest.

Yeah, that's what i think he'll pick too. 

I'd go with McArthur, Fletcher, Forrest, McGregor and Fraser. 

Strachan will pick fletcher Forrest MacArthur Morrison and phillips

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I think Strachan will go with Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison, Philips and Forrest.

This is definitely what will happen. He will go with what he thinks is the safest option with previously used players. He maybe change things if it doesn't go our way, but it could be too late by then. There is not a chance in hell he will start McGinn and mcgregor. His reluctance to call up mcgregor doesn't point to him starting. It will be the same old same old with Forrest struggling to get the ball past the first man. 

Losing three players like brown, Armstrong and Ritchie is a gift to Slovakia. They will be delighted Brown is out..... 

I was looking forward to Thursday, but now I have the fear.....

Based on two central midfielders and three more attacking midfielders i'd go for:

Fletcher as the defensive midfielder who will sit and protect, he's nowhere near as bad as many on here would have you believe with McGinn sat next to him who can drive the game forward and decent passer

3 attacking would be Fraser on the right pace, good final ball and a goal threat, on the left would be Phillips far from ideal as he's right footed and the last two games showed he doesnt like to go out on the left always looking to cut in but direct, pace and power & in the middle would be McGregor good goal threat but can also drop back to help McGinn and Fletch when  needed

Shame were missing Brown, Armstrong, Cairney & Ritchie as those 4 are a huge loss 

I'll go with above but one change.  No idea why people are bothered about Cairney (the preent day Liam Birdcutt).

Fletcher & McGinn central pairing.

Forrest & Phillips on wings

MacGregor number 10.

Forrest is in merely as he's a starter in a very good Celtic team.  I don't get him! But we need as many Celtic players in as possible as Rodgers & Strachan no more about football than me x10000.

I'd like to see:

McGinn, Fletcher

Snodgrass, McGregor, Fraser

Not a chance it'll happen though.  Morrison and Forrest will be in there somewhere and McGregor won't although fk knows why.  We just lost a Celtic player who's good at getting forward into goalscoring positions.  If only we had another one...

People wanting Sondgrass to start? He's done nothing for about 8 months. 

This game is all about us having pace to attack them down the flanks. We didn't do it over there when we controlled possession so we need pace wide. 

The 5 in the middle are likely to be Fletcher MacArthur Morrison forrest and phillips. I'd only replace Forrest with Fraser from that.

Can't see Strachan taking any risks with the 2 centre midfielders behind the advanced 3. Think he will go for Morrison/McArthur and Fletcher.

He seems to love James Forrest although everytime I see him for Scotland, he is pretty terrible and seems to lose possession of the ball on a regular basis without creating anything. Which makes me think he will go with Forrest - Snodgrass - Phillips. Would love to see Fraser but if he won't play him against Lithuania/Malta then can't see him starting on Thursday(similar with McGinn). Hopefully Snoddy has gained a bit confidence back and match sharpness now he's back playing.

morrison will no doubt be picked. Not sure about the rest. If Forrest gets picked he's surely due a good performance. No one can be that bad consistently. I actually started to feel sorry for him during the Malta game. McGregor should start for me as he will surely add a bit of surprise and be less known to slovaks. I want Snodgrass to play as on his day he has real quality and produce something from nothing. Def improved at villa however  I'm not sure if he's done enough. Bit wary of Fletcher these days, think there's a lot of errors creeping into his game. I'd have McGinn all day purely for his physicality.

What I think Strachan will pick: 

Fletcher McArthur

Forrest Morrison Phillips

What I would pick:

Fletcher McArthur

Fraser McGregor Phillips

Forrest is a persistent failure for Scotland despite seemingly carrying good form for Scotland. I would give Fraser the chance. 

I'm a big fan of McGinn but think I'd have McArthur marginally ahead of him in the pecking order. 

I'd say that despite him not picking McGregor for the original squads he should still be strongly considered for a start. The Celtic influence on the team is surely a positive factor and missing two of those key players could be offset by replacing with another who is doing well. 

Is it just me that can see Anya starting? I wouldn't start him, but it wouldn't surprise me if Strachan did. Same with Whittaker - experienced and naturally right sided (whether that's in defence or midfield).