Bribing Cops - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Was in Namibia a few months back

Seen a guy get caught drunk driving -well over limit - bit of a nod and wink there because people know same friends 

anyway he gave the cop Namibian $50

In pounds that around 3 quid - crazy - would buy him say a Nando's

During my time living in London I was out with my pals from work in a night club in  Green lanes,  while waiting for a taxi I bought myself a kebab, just wanted to get home as I had to be up for work about 6, I noticed a police car parked up, so I walked over and asked them to take me home and I would give them a tenner, they told me to get rid of the kebab and get in the back, as we drove off some of my pals thought I had been jailed, fcukin Magic,10 minutes later and they dropped me 50 yards from my front door, 

This was funny if you know north Ayrshire. Hud a good bevy in Saltcoats (rudis)walking hame tae Stevenston. The polis stopped their van and asked us if we wanted a lift hame, we happily jumped in the back. They drove away and kicked us oot in the top end of Ardrossan more than doubling oor walk hame. They left us wae the words this will sober you up boys hahaha bring back the 80s. 

Euan, have you not driven in Angola? I found the Namibian plod paragons of policing rectitude compared to those bástards north of the border. 

Like a lot of Africa (and elsewhere), it's just part of the way things function, generally for the perfectly justifiable reason that they're paid a pittance, and bribery starts at the top, the very top.

Do you not live in South Africa?  Thought this was common.  Working in Joburg 5+ years ago 1 night out everyone drink driving. Take local roads.  Stopped twice, speak Xhosa (spelling?) to each other and they paid bribes and drove on.

2nd night out I found the non drinkers (muslim) in office and asked for a lift home at start of night as I was shiting it in a car driven by half jaked local and did not trust any cabs minus provided by hotel.