Going vegan. - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My wife is a vegan. Fair play, she is comfortable with it. I tried it and lasted a week. I need meat. Mince.Pies, hamburgers, sausages, ham. I just cant do without it. Only problem is when my wife is late in at work and I am cookin for me and my bhoys, I run out of ideas for my wife. Made yae Corn flakes again darlin..😁

7 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I agree. Wish I could do it though.. Maybe thats why im a fat bastirt now..😅

Plenty vegans are fat bastirts. Folk are usually fat bastirts because they are greedy bastirts and/or lazy bastirts. Going vegan isn't guaranteed to stop you being a fat bastirt.

Before making this life changing decision it's worth noting that most beers, worth drinking, are not vegan. ;) Not sure if that makes a difference to you.:lol:

Just now, Orraloon said:

Plenty vegans are fat bastirts. Folk are usually fat bastirts because they are greedy bastirts and/or lazy bastirts. Going vegan isn't guaranteed to stop you being a fat bastirt.

Before making this life changing decision it's worth noting that most beers, worth drinking, are not vegan. ;) Not sure if that makes a difference to you.:lol:

The vast majority of beers are vegan I’ve found. 

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

The vast majority of beers are vegan I’ve found. 

That's maybe what they tell you. ;)

Lager isn't beer, by the way. ;)

Depends on how strict a vegan you are, though. Some vegans are happy that their food doesn't contain any animals, others don't want animal products used in their manufacture. 

If you stick to Brewdog you should be OK, but most of the stuff you get from taps in regular pubs will have used animal products. A lot of brewers are changing and investing in technology which doesn't need to use these animal products, but I would guess that most beer still uses animal products. 

Do you ask at the bar for vegan friendly beer or do you just stick to brands that you have already checked out?

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's maybe what they tell you. ;)

Lager isn't beer, by the way. ;)

Depends on how strict a vegan you are, though. Some vegans are happy that their food doesn't contain any animals, others don't want animal products used in their manufacture. 

If you stick to Brewdog you should be OK, but most of the stuff you get from taps in regular pubs will have used animal products. A lot of brewers are changing and investing in technology which doesn't need to use these animal products, but I would guess that most beer still uses animal products. 

Do you ask at the bar for vegan friendly beer or do you just stick to brands that you have already checked out?

I use this site and according to it apart from your milk stouts most are fine http://www.barnivore.com/

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

There’s a lassie I know who, for years has went on about being vegan. She also loved Guinness by the bucketload. Then She found out that it contains fish bladder in it. :lol:

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I use this site and according to it apart from your milk stouts most are fine http://www.barnivore.com/

That's a very good website.:ok: Cheers for posting that.

I notice that as of Jan 2018, all Guinness produced at St James Gate will be vegan friendly. Maybe they are changing quicker than I thought? 

That means that, in a very minor way, they have changed the recipe for Guinness. I'm surprised there hasn't been a big stooshie like that for changing Irn Bru. I mean, Guinness can't possibly taste the same with all the fish guts and crushed up animal bones taken out?:lol:

Ormond might be able to tell us if notices any difference. Probably less nutritious now.;)

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

My wife is a vegan. Fair play, she is comfortable with it. I tried it and lasted a week. I need meat. Mince.Pies, hamburgers, sausages, ham. I just cant do without it. Only problem is when my wife is late in at work and I am cookin for me and my bhoys, I run out of ideas for my wife. Made yae Corn flakes again darlin..😁

poor lad, wife no longer liking the meat :-)

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

poor lad, wife no longer liking the meat :-)

55 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

she likes ma boaby..🤣🤣🤣

12 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I’d have to presume vegans don’t swallow...

:lol:

Welcome to 1974... 

21 hours ago, Orraloon said:

That's a very good website.:ok: Cheers for posting that.

I notice that as of Jan 2018, all Guinness produced at St James Gate will be vegan friendly. Maybe they are changing quicker than I thought? 

That means that, in a very minor way, they have changed the recipe for Guinness. I'm surprised there hasn't been a big stooshie like that for changing Irn Bru. I mean, Guinness can't possibly taste the same with all the fish guts and crushed up animal bones taken out?:lol:

Ormond might be able to tell us if notices any difference. Probably less nutritious now.;)

:lol:

didnt know that about Guinness, must be!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

An delightful extract from the BBC website about climate change.

Different approaches

Sir Ian says it's actually more carbon-efficient to raise sheep and cattle on intensive high-tech farms than on traditional extensive pastures.

That's because although intensive farming with animals fed on grains and soya creates more CO2 emissions, it creates fewer methane emissions.

Research proves, he says, that because intensively-raised animals grow and mature quicker, they are slaughtered younger - so they belch less methane in their shorter lives.

As methane is a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 in the medium term, that means intensively-farmed livestock are less bad for the climate.

Image copyright Getty Images

Sir Ian said: "All the evidence tells us that intensive farming done well is much more environmentally friendly than extensive farming.

"Intensive farming is able to apply much more modern technology. And changes (to farming) will lead to significant reduction in the amount of land farmed directly for food."

What's the farmers' viewpoint?

The NFU takes exactly the opposite stance.

She also forecast that British sheep and cows would be bred and reared to reach slaughter much more quickly in order to reduce methane burps.

"The argument about methane is badly flawed. We can 'finish' an animal just as quickly (as intensive farming)… under 15 months using right genetics and using the right breed."