Slovakia and Slovenia squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia and Slovenia squad

fringo

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Ralston has done nothing to deserve a call up. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Do you think Whitiker and Anya have? Bottom line is neither of them would make the Celtic bench. Surely youth has to be introduced as early as possible and please don't list a pile of players who haven't made it. Any way Anya and Whitiker won't start thank god

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, kumnio said:

Totally agree. He needs to keep Lustig out the Celtic team before he can be considered.

Personally, I don't think he will make the grade. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't think he's quite the standard needed. 

17 hours ago, bookerman said:

Tony Ralston has not even played 10 games for celtic yet and people want him called up. Let him countine to develop in the under 21 where we got 2 games up against england and lativa.

10 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Couple of Hanley-esque challenges ?

Edit: trying to quote Mick's comment above but usual nonsense with this system.

The problem is we have a severe lack of centre halves and right backs so any time anyone in this position gains any attention we will be all over it.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The problem is we have a severe lack of centre halves and right backs so any time anyone in this position gains any attention we will be all over it.

Agree.  We seem to have a more healthy future in this area.  At some point the manager needs to start bringing them into the team, but obviously when they are ready.  Right now not the time though, two important games coming up.  Personally, I would always leave a couple of positions in the squad for some of the youngsters, even if it is just to give them some experience at international level.  Tricky one though.

Edited by BlueGaz

2 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Agree.  We seem to have a more healthy future in this area.  At some point the manager needs to start bringing them into the team, but obviously when they are ready.  Right now not the time though, two important games coming up.  Personally, I would always leave a couple of positions in the squad for some of the youngsters, even if it is just to give them some experience at international level.  Tricky one though.

I guess it depends if you are willing to gamble, I would be happy to gamble on new centre halves but not RB becuase Tierney holds his own in that position. If we qualify for the playoffs with such an unbalanced back four I will eat my own head

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I guess it depends if you are willing to gamble, I would be happy to gamble on new centre halves but not RB becuase Tierney holds his own in that position. If we qualify for the playoffs with such an unbalanced back four I will eat my own head

Definitely.  Are any of our current youngsters ready to step up and potentially be a start if we qualify for next year?  possibly, not sure.  I am not sure if the lower level international squads replicates enough what it is like to play for the main squad.  It is obviously difficult to give lots of the up and coming uncapped players squad time, but it has to happen at some point.

We still have decent senior players that can't get in the squad at the mo.

Ralston shouldn't be in the squad, he should stay with the U21s and after an impressive start by beating Holland they have another huge game coming up against England.

McGregor is unfortunate not to be. Steven Whittaker though? A strange inclusion. I like Anya and seems a great guy too, but how many games has he played in the last year or so for Derby? I doubt he'll start, but Strachan certainly has his favourites!

The team pretty much picks itself though.

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's not a question of gambling on a new right back, that is Teirneys position. Unless he plays on the left hand side of a back five or needs to replace Robertson if any thing go's wrong there. So we have good cover for Robertson but no cover for Tierney. All in favour of experience but there is no way Whittaker  or Anya will be involved in next campaign, Maybe Ralston won't either but would sooner prepare him for the future than take two players who are long past there sell buy date

Edited by ceudmilefailte

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's not a question of gambling on a new right back, that is Teirneys position. Unless he plays on the left hand side of a back five or needs to replace Robertson if any thing go's wrong there. So we have good cover for Robertson but no cover for Tierney. All in favour of experience but there is no way Whittaker  or Anya will be involved in next campaign, Maybe Ralston won't either but would sooner prepare him for the future than take two players who are long past there sell buy date

Whittaker won't be involved next campaign but Anya has a chance, only if he rectifies things at club level tho.

Not sure what's happened to him tho. He was our best player when he broke through as a left winger, and was probably the only one in the squad at that time with pace combined with end product. Since then he seems to have devolved into a utility fullback, and also seems to have lost his electric burst of pace.

Edited by Rude Gullit

3 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Whittaker won't be involved next campaign but Anya has a chance, only if he improves at club level tho.

Not sure what's happened to him tho. He was our best player when he broke through as a left winger, and probably the only one with pace and end product. Since then he seems to have devolved into a utility fullback, and also seems to have lost his electric burst of pace.

Whittaker certainly and Anya are only there due to Patterson being injured, I'm sure Whittaker knows he's only there as a back up. If Anya wants to be about the squad in the future he needs to start getting games especially if Ralston makes the same quick progress Tierney has.

11 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Whittaker certainly and Anya are only there due to Patterson being injured, I'm sure Whittaker knows he's only there as a back up. If Anya wants to be about the squad in the future he needs to start getting games especially if Ralston makes the same quick progress Tierney has.

Would rather have a young and ready Ralston in place tbh.

Would be a shame though if Anya's time was up - but on the wing I can't see him displacing Forrest, Phillips, Fraser etc 

Anya has played twice in the league cup and played a couple of games in the league at the start of the season. More recently he hasn't made the 18 man squad and has been playing in the under 23s. 

He's not the managers type of player, so I don't see him getting much gametime before Christmas. I fancy he will move on in January, but I doubt Derby will see much of the  £4m they paid for him. 

Since he moved, he's played right back, midfield, wing, and left back, midfield and wing, and the no10, and central midfield. 

To be fair, that more a reflection of the way the clubs been run rather than Anya not holding down a place. 

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tierney is a left back, he is being played out of position because we don't have a right back.