What brought you to the TAMB? - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What brought you to the TAMB?

The original Tartan army pages followed onto Ezzys board and so forth.

20 years of my life browsing whilst getting paid and stuck with my user name which referenced a crass song by me and my pals from teenage years about gibleting Gib.  Yup a lot of pish.

It was back in 2000 or 2001 I joined, definitely before the Belgium game where we lost 2-0 and our WC '02 campaign ended as I remember organising / researching some stuff for that on the TAMB.

The main thing I remember about the early days was that a week after I joined, a soon-to-be-infamous poster named Hawkeye Ranoo started posting, after finding the board through his son Richie. I think for the first month or two he wrote constantly in slang, all 'ra' this and 'ra' that, before he got so much stick he cut it out. I never even knew such such a dialect existed up until then, I expected all weegies to write slang like it was in the Broons. 

Every day's a school day on the TAMB.

18 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Dave???? I thought his name was Mario. How disappointing ,' Dave' just doesnt have the same mystery surrounding  it. 

I had to google the name , funnily enough the real Mario looks like what I imagine Dave looks like. Does he ?

16 hours ago, aaid said:

Not in the slightest.

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Oh well, only another 39838488 old footballers left. How about Diego Maradona, does look like him ?

14 hours ago, jenblueeyes said:

Not in the slightest.

Davie Dodds??

I assume my profile joining date of 30 September 2003 must have been when the TAMB started? I was a member of Ezzy's Board from when I got back from Zagreb in 2000 and to the best of my knowledge I just migrated onto the TAMB like everyone else?

2 hours ago, Marky said:

I assume my profile joining date of 30 September 2003 must have been when the TAMB started? I was a member of Ezzy's Board from when I got back from Zagreb in 2000 and to the best of my knowledge I just migrated onto the TAMB like everyone else?

Thought it might be the 23rd september 2003. Although my memory could be wrong.

I think I joined in 2001?  Used the board for advice/info on the Belgium away game.  Met quite a few folk from here in a pub on Windmall Brae before the Nigeria friendly at Pittodrie.  Never did buy a tee-shirt!

Just been told I met Scotty CTA in Dortmund!  We made it into his TA calendar!

I genuinely can't remember when I joined or how I even found out about this place.  I seem to remember trying to log on from work (start as you meant to continue and all that) at some point when they're was a new Manager being announced and I couldn't get on.  Might have been Burley but that was 2008 and I'm pretty sure I was active before Paris in 2007.

One of my mates joined in 2002 and he suggested I do likewise. The first thread I remember posting in was entitled "Frontline Scotland" and was discussing who should start up front vs the Faroes.

Remember the "bullet holes" under your avatar on the old board? :lol:

2 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

I think I joined in 2001?  Used the board for advice/info on the Belgium away game.  Met quite a few folk from here in a pub on Windmall Brae before the Nigeria friendly at Pittodrie.  Never did buy a tee-shirt!

Just been told I met Scotty CTA in Dortmund!  We made it into his TA calendar!

I have a mint unopened copy, and copy damaged when new by defrosting chicken :-)

fecker never took my photo and was on trips with him

sure you met Scott plenty of times ?  "Wallace" 

guess i have to make do with an appearance in McArthurs "Over the top with the tartan army" book

Edited by euan2020

On 9/27/2017 at 5:59 AM, euan2020 said:

I have a mint unopened copy, and copy damaged when new by defrosting chicken :-)

fecker never took my photo and was on trips with him

sure you met Scott plenty of times ?  "Wallace" 

guess i have to make do with an appearance in McArthurs "Over the top with the tartan army" book

I read that last year. Who were you in it?

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

I read that last year. Who were you in it?

page 135 photo - we went to Estonia Ferry disaster ceremony type thing which had sunk in 94, we were there in 96

McArthur only tells half the stories of things he got up to 

abody kent abody back then and stumbled across each other frequently  - S&M discos (2) in Berlin etc 

Like a few others here I joined in September 2003. A mate of my brother's had gone through a total faff to get us all tickets for the Scotland v Germany game the previous June (when they had small numbers of tickets scattered round branches of Safeways or possibly Morrison's all over Scotland) and I wanted to make sure I knew the story for the Netherlands playoff. After joining and reading countless posts I drove my brother down from Aberdeen to Edinburgh on a Saturday morning the following month at 4am to get in the queue for the 2,000 tickets that Tickets Scotland in Rose Street were selling, after deciding that the supermarket route was too risky . We got the tickets and after that I was hooked. 

I felt like I lived here for a good while a few years back  - times move on but it's been a blast.

7 hours ago, neilser said:

Like a few others here I joined in September 2003. A mate of my brother's had gone through a total faff to get us all tickets for the Scotland v Germany game the previous June (when they had small numbers of tickets scattered round branches of Safeways or possibly Morrison's all over Scotland) and I wanted to make sure I knew the story for the Netherlands playoff. After joining and reading countless posts I drove my brother down from Aberdeen to Edinburgh on a Saturday morning the following month at 4am to get in the queue for the 2,000 tickets that Tickets Scotland in Rose Street were selling, after deciding that the supermarket route was too risky . We got the tickets and after that I was hooked. 

I felt like I lived here for a good while a few years back  - times move on but it's been a blast.

Hahaha I remember being in that queue as well. We were in Edinburgh for my wifes birthday, the 2 of us still pished queuing up to get tickets for a couple of mates. 

30 minutes ago, aaid said:

I took that photo. 

wish i went to the flea markets to buy some military crap 

surreal SFA coming round hotels, telling folk match was kicking off early so had to be there at 3

Nae press though  - so everybody eating their sandwiches out of the press room 

Under 21 Match - everybody cheering on the good looking estonian medic, and telling players to stay down injured 

11 hours ago, bonzo said:

Hahaha I remember being in that queue as well. We were in Edinburgh for my wifes birthday, the 2 of us still pished queuing up to get tickets for a couple of mates. 

There must have been quite a few who didn't bother heading home after a night out and just went straight there. Was a great feeling after joining the queue and doing a quick estimate of the numbers ahead of us  (about 600 maximum) and knowing that we were guaranteed to get the tickets.

1 hour ago, neilser said:

There must have been quite a few who didn't bother heading home after a night out and just went straight there. Was a great feeling after joining the queue and doing a quick estimate of the numbers ahead of us  (about 600 maximum) and knowing that we were guaranteed to get the tickets.

It was like that at the safeways I was at. It was Halloween weekend and loads of folk were turning up dressed as smurfs, 118 men and fukk knows what else