Strangest Celebrity Sightings - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strangest Celebrity Sightings

46 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Back in 1980 I think when I was 18 , four of us going to the Dr Feelgood gig at Glasgow Apollo. We went for a few drinks first at the Iron Horse round the corner. I went to the toilet and came back and one of my mates talking to this guy at the bar - as I went up - fook me its the lead singer Lee Brilleaux. We were sat with them for about 20 mins before they had go and get ready - they were tanking back the dark rums but bought our drinks and put a wee tab behind the bar for a couple of drinks for us. Gave us a mention at the gig as well - just before Milk and Alcohol.

Wiz it no called furlongs then? 

I was down in that London for a gig a few years ago and me and the missus got talking to 2 old guys in a boozer, one English, one Irish.  We were chatting away with them for about half an hour before the Irish guy said his goodbyes and left.  After he was away his mate told us we'd just spent half an hour in conversation with Father Jack from Father Ted!  As soon as he said "do you know who that was" the penny dropped but he was almost unrecognisable from his character.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I was down in that London for a gig a few years ago and me and the missus got talking to 2 old guys in a boozer, one English, one Irish.  We were chatting away with them for about half an hour before the Irish guy said his goodbyes and left.  After he was away his mate told us we'd just spent half an hour in conversation with Father Jack from Father Ted!  As soon as he said "do you know who that was" the penny dropped but he was almost unrecognisable from his character.

I saw him in Dun Laoghaire the day after we played Ireland in the Celtic Cup a few years back.  It was only because I'd watched a "Making of Father Ted" documentary a few months before that I recognised him.

A few years back I was at York Road one Saturday watching Maidenhead United who were then playing in front of crowds of a few hundred in the National League South.   

Midway through the first half, I went to the Gents for a Lilian and it was empty save for Matthew Cottle standing outside one of the cubicles.

Who is Matthew Cottle you ask - he played the part of Martin the Ginger Tosser in cult 90s sitcom, Game On.

I'd seen him at games before and knew he lived locally, so as I recognised him I gave him a sideways look as I walked in that he obviously interpreted as me thinking "what's the geezer doing hanging around the gents toilets" so he pointed at the cubicle and said "Err, I'm just waiting for my son". 

I twigged what was going on so gave it a sort of "Aye Right" look in response.  A few seconds later, the cubicle opened and this young kid came out and he sort of pointed at him to indicate "Look here's my son, I'm really not a nonce".

On 28/11/2017 at 11:25 PM, Toepoke said:

One I'd forgotten, I was once stood behind Andrew Lloyd Webber in the soup queue at a buffet lunch.

Ok it was in quite a posh restaurant in Budapest but it was still the soup queue at a buffet...

I'm no oil painting but he is one ugly looking fucker

I once helped Christian Dailly pick out some football boots when I was working in a sports shop. He was at Blackburn at the time, not long after *that* miss v them. 

My best one was a year or so ago after a day boozing in Manchester in which I can't remember too much about. The next morning I found photos on my phone of me and Ricky Hatton. I cannot remember meeting him at all. 

I've had a business meeting with a famous Scottish boxer and now have a Scottish international in my extended family, so met him at a few family parties this year. 

Playing rugby for Kingston in London many years ago in the qualifying competetion for the Twickenham sevens ..in the semi final we came up against Rossly Park with their young winger ..chap by name of Martin Offiah. He was a skinny runt then before he bulked up at rugby league. I was just over 11 secs for 100 metres but I had to shout for taxi to get anywhere near him. He was jogging away from me.

On 02/12/2017 at 8:56 AM, PASTA Mick said:

I've had a business meeting with a famous Scottish boxer and now have a Scottish international in my extended family, so met him at a few family parties this year. 

That explains your love of James Forrest.

:lol:

On 02/12/2017 at 8:56 AM, PASTA Mick said:

I once helped Christian Dailly pick out some football boots when I was working in a sports shop. He was at Blackburn at the time, not long after *that* miss v them. 

My best one was a year or so ago after a day boozing in Manchester in which I can't remember too much about. The next morning I found photos on my phone of me and Ricky Hatton. I cannot remember meeting him at all. 

I met Ricky Hatton in a boozer in saltcoats just afrer his Mayeeatber fight. 

On 11/29/2017 at 6:25 AM, Toepoke said:

One I'd forgotten, I was once stood behind Andrew Lloyd Webber in the soup queue at a buffet lunch.

Ok it was in quite a posh restaurant in Budapest but it was still the soup queue at a buffet...

Forgot one as well from Hungary when I was there. I had a blether with a well oiled Jim Rosenthal at the bar in  Becketts before the Grand Prix there. To be honest he looked like a jakey.

1 hour ago, Mitre said:

Forgot one as well from Hungary when I was there. I had a blether with a well oiled Jim Rosenthal at the bar in  Becketts before the Grand Prix there. To be honest he looked like a jakey.

Another Maidenhead resident

Had a pee next to John Hannah in a NIghtclub (in the gents).  He was steaming.  It was a while back and not long after the film Siding Doors.  Told him that I really fancied Gwyenth Paltrow to which he replied "aye, I'll put in a good word for you...." 

Sat at the next table to Hugh Grant and his model wife in a restaurant in Val D'isere.  That's it really.  My steak was good.