Gutted for Gauld - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gutted for Gauld

andyD

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Comparing him in the sense that both have failed to live up to the hype. Never mind, Robbie McCrorie has just been tipped to become one of the greatest centre halves in history by his manager.

"Ross McCrorie is going to be one of the best centre halves in history,not just for this club but for this country."

IMO the "mini-messi" nickname put Gauld under huge pressure when he moved to Sporting, and probably hampered his career.

Now McCrorie has to live up to being the best centre half in history?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Comparing him in the sense that both have failed to live up to the hype. 

He's 21 and was playing in the top tier in Portugal. He's doing okay. Not as good as most of us would hope but to say he's "failed to live up to the hype" at the age of 21 is premature IMO. 

45 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He's 21 and was playing in the top tier in Portugal. He's doing okay. Not as good as most of us would hope but to say he's "failed to live up to the hype" at the age of 21 is premature IMO. 

Still is, he's just injured - nothing more sinister than that. A Portuguese top flight player who if he comes back strong in 2 months time should rightly be considered for us.

10 hours ago, davew said:

"Ross McCrorie is going to be one of the best centre halves in history,not just for this club but for this country."

IMO the "mini-messi" nickname put Gauld under huge pressure when he moved to Sporting, and probably hampered his career.

Now McCrorie has to live up to being the best centre half in history?

Misquote...

the best centre half Rangers have had and also maybe Scotland is what he is saying... 

We overhype our very average players....  John fleck, anyone? The list is endless.  Better off not getting excited about any of the youngsters until they show real promise.  By that I mean first team regular like Tierney... who I'm guessing might turn out to be quite decent.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

We overhype our very average players....  John fleck, anyone? The list is endless.  Better off not getting excited about any of the youngsters until they show real promise.  By that I mean first team regular like Tierney... who I'm guessing might turn out to be quite decent.

Gauld was first team regular at 17 and for a couple of months or so that season was better than anything seen at Tannadice from anyone that young since Sturrock, Payne in the 70s . It was not hype. He still has time to come good and if he is now getting game time in Portugal top flight he will be better than most Scots n SPL , barring Celtic players, and that would include McGinn in my opinion. Hopefully gets back from injury soon

To be fair being a first team regular now at Dundee Utd doesn't really compare to when they were playing European cups and winning the league.  Jamie walker at hearts had a great few months then went off the boil. I can't really comment as I've not seen him play, didn't really know much about him tbh.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

To be fair being a first team regular now at Dundee Utd doesn't really compare to when they were playing European cups and winning the league.  Jamie walker at hearts had a great few months then went off the boil. I can't really comment as I've not seen him play, didn't really know much about him tbh.

I agree but at the time United were sitting second in the league and Gauld was the star man at 17. The fact that Sporting put EUR 60m buy out clause in his contract meant they saw something potentially very special. On the other hand John Fleck was hype

19 minutes ago, davew said:

Sheffield United are currently sitting in a play-off place in the Championship and Fleck is a certain starter.

I've not actually seen him play, but "very average" seems harsh.

I'd say playing for a middle of the road Championship team is about as close to the definition of "very average" as you could get. 

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, mccaughey85 said:

How has he barely kicked a ball, he's been playing in the Portuguese second tier for the last two years and played in the Scottish top flight the year before. Would you say the same about someone like Jason Cummings or Stevie mallan who have played in the Scottish second tier for the last couple of seasons. It's silly to write off a 21 year old just because he has failed to get into the sporting first team. He will probably not be the star we were hoping for but he's still got plenty time on his side to make it at a decent level.

Playing in the Portugesse second tier is hardly anything to shout about, apart from the top 4 or 5 sides in their top tier (at a push) the standard is poor.

That mob Gauld is at just now currently have an average attendance that's lower than half the championship here!

He's played vast majority of his games for Sporting B in a ppor level, nothing to shout about.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Playing in the Portugesse second tier is hardly anything to shout about, apart from the top 4 or 5 sides in their top tier (at a push) the standard is poor.

That mob Gauld is at just now currently have an average attendance that's lower than half the championship here!

He's played vast majority of his games for Sporting B in a ppor level, nothing to shout about.

Although to be fair, you have to presume he's playing for Sporting B and being put out on loan as sporting see him as a potential first team player that needs some experience.

Also worth remembering that last season he went out on loan to Vitoria Setabul, and played his way into their starting 11 before Sporting recalled him. This season he's gone out on loan again and played his way into Aves' starting 11. so at worst he's a starter in the portugese top league. That's respectable, and presumably a stepping some to bigger and better things, especially if he's making a difference in games as he seemed like he was just starting to before this injury.

So for me, there's no reason to even entertain the idea of writing Gauld off, just sympathy with the frustration he must be feeling at being pushed back a couple of months in terms of getting his top flight career really rolling.

22 hours ago, Parklife said:

I'd say playing for a middle of the road Championship team is about as close to the definition of "very average" as you could get. 

For me, over-hyped but turned out very average are the likes of Jamie Ness and Gregg Wylde.

Both struggling for game time at 2nd-bottom-of-league-1 Plymouth Argyle.

On 9/21/2017 at 10:21 AM, Parklife said:

If that is very average i'd hate to think what the Scottish Premiership is then, or the Scottish Championship where people were lauding McGinn and Cimmuings last season. 

4 hours ago, borojock said:

If that is very average i'd hate to think what the Scottish Premiership is then, or the Scottish Championship where people were lauding McGinn and Cimmuings last season. 

We all know that the standard of the Scottish premier league is laughable in international terms.  That's why our best team can easily take four goals off everyone else, yet get pumped five nil at home in Europe. 

On 9/22/2017 at 5:51 PM, Malcolm said:

We all know that the standard of the Scottish premier league is laughable in international terms.  That's why our best team can easily take four goals off everyone else, yet get pumped five nil at home in Europe. 

To be fair, PSG thumped Bayern Munich 3-0 last night. Gives the 5-0 a little perspective.

I suppose that's a fair point, and backed up by celtics own good result.  Our league is poor, no doubt.  Celtic will continue to strengthen with cl money whilst the rest get poorer in relative terms.  Put Celtic in the English league and they would be a low premiership team, put the rest of the spl in the English league and they would be low championship/league 1.  Contrast that to the old days... by that I mean the seventies, where our best teams would compete with he best in the English leagues.

20 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I suppose that's a fair point, and backed up by celtics own good result.  Our league is poor, no doubt.  Celtic will continue to strengthen with cl money whilst the rest get poorer in relative terms.  Put Celtic in the English league and they would be a low premiership team, put the rest of the spl in the English league and they would be low championship/league 1.  Contrast that to the old days... by that I mean the seventies, where our best teams would compete with he best in the English leagues.

It would be curious to see how much money Celtic actually have floating about. Not like they spend anywhere near to what the rake in. Imagine Des will be lining his pockets but say he did not, how much cash do they have lying about??

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Bayern will cuff Celtic 4 or 5-0 aswell, the same as PSG.

You really think so?

I think Celtic will tighten up a fair bit, much like last season where the opening game saw them get ruined by Barca, but then saw them get 2 draws with Man City (who on paper should have won comfortably), and only take a 2-0 in the return with Barca.

It seems to be a pattern that the opening CL group game is a bit of a wake up call to Celtic and reminds them that that actually need to step their game up for the midweek matches. Bayern should comfortably beat Celtic, that's true enough, I dont think there'll be another 4 or 5-0 for them tho.

On 28/09/2017 at 9:24 PM, Malcolm said:

The thing is though if Celtic were in the Premiership, they would obvioulsy make more money and be able to spend and attract decent names because of who they are, after a year or two they would probably be one of the top sides down there. With the current squad they could probably manage mid table reasonably comfortably.