No more Ryanair for me - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No more Ryanair for me

3 hours ago, McDange said:

The problem is that Ryanair won't care about bad press etc. They know most people fly with then through necessity rather than choice; whether that be price, convenience or direct access etc. I've also never had any issue with them but I suppose this is the risk you take when booking with them. 

This, although my stance may change when the list of cancelled flights are published

My Slovenia trip has 4 ryanair flights so fingers crossed

On 9/17/2017 at 5:15 PM, Grim Jim said:

Nobody else here messed up by this?   Left us stranded abroad 44hr before flight home :mad:   More cancellations to come it seems for other folk.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15539753.Ryanair_to_cancel_up_to_50_flights_a_day_to_improve_punctuality/

Their expenses form seems only to cover a delay (no field on it to claim back flights from another airline), so I guess that will need to be covered by our travel insurance.   Filled in a compensation form instead.

Got back a day late on Easyjet.

ryanair shoudl have reboooked you i think  on competitor

I've seen guys in front of me ok KLM rebooked on BA flight - while  i had to fly via Milan and Amsterdam (sleep on floor) when Tripoli flight got cancelled 

• 2 weeks later...

FYI on my case for anyone else affected.

Got refund for the cancelled flight, but waiting for the compensation.   Seems I'm not due expenses (eg. extra night in hotel & 1st available flights with Easyjet) since I did not re-book with Ryanar.

Got an apology today with €40 Ryanair vouchers to be spent in October.

I'm fairly confident that O'Leary has always been of the opinion that there's no such thing as bad publicity, but I think most people accepted Ryanair as a means to an end, and could even laugh at some of the nonsense they came out with, as they were fine if you played by their rules etc. but the public confidence in them now must be so low, that they'd be very difficult to book with no matter how cheap they were.

Edited by sbcmfc

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

but the public confidence in them now must be so low, that they'd be very difficult to book with no matter how cheap they were.

Seriously? In 6 months this will pretty much be forgotten and everyone will be booking their £30 return flights again. 

37 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Seriously? In 6 months this will pretty much be forgotten and everyone will be booking their £30 return flights again. 

Until recently though, for all their flaws the majority of the time they were reliable to get you from A to B on time for £30.

Id rather pay £50 and know I'll get there.

:lol:

Admittedly if it's a family of 4 and you're saving £50 a head....

50 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

only my own opinion, but i think Ryanair are gearing up for pulling out of Brexit Britain. They're a huge European outfit, and its interesting that the cancelled flights yesterday are, in the main, UK ones. O'Leary was very much in favour of the Remain vote

I can't see then pulling out Britain as it a highest number of flights in the EU, almost 30% of all departures and arrivals which would be a lot of business to walk away from. I could see them losing some route licenses such as Edinburgh/Glasgow to Stansted.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Unfortunately true. There was a good bit on John Oliver's show last week that mentioned that since Delta Airlines forcibly threw that guy off one of their flights back in July, their reservations weren't even affected despite the worldwide outrage.

That's what happens when an airline has a monopoly on a route. If there's no other direct option, there's no other direct option.

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Until recently though, for all their flaws the majority of the time they were reliable to get you from A to B on time for £30.

Id rather pay £50 and know I'll get there.

:lol:

Admittedly if it's a family of 4 and you're saving £50 a head....

Until the last two months there's never been an issue. They fly 130,000,000 passenger journeys a year and made circa £1.5 billion last year. Out of those 130,000,000 this year they've cancelled around 400,000. Anyone thinking that this will be the demise of Ryanair is deluding themselves.

Next time you go to book your flights, if there's a Ryanair option and it's the cheapest, you'll still book the Ryanair option, just like almost everyone else.  

1 hour ago, harrystarfish said:

There was a good bit on John Oliver's show last week that mentioned that since Delta Airlines forcibly threw that guy off one of their flights back in July, their reservations weren't even affected despite the worldwide outrage.

Probably because he was flying with United.