Catalonia & the UK media blackout of events - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Catalonia & the UK media blackout of events

26 minutes ago, Nobby said:

Silly season has begun with a new twist. Apparently if Catalonia goes independent Barcelona can play in the English Premier leagueĀ :blink: dont shoot the messenger !

They are certainly one institution that could suffer if Catalonia becomes independent...

Ā 

29 minutes ago, kumnio said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41493014

The King of Spain criticises the Catalans for organising the vote, however no comment about police brutality and the systematic beating of his 'subjects'.

Good of his Maj to remain politically impartial.

J

37 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I was disappointed by EU coolness to Scottish independence, though not surprised.Ā Ā  Am hacked off by 'our' attitude to this though, and wee Craig is (in diplo speak) astonished...

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/10/obliged-reconsider-support-european-union/

Ā 

Have stuck by the EU's stance right up to the last 24 hours and have been getting tore into a few Yessers on twitter who were giving them pelters on Sunday

The bottom line is that the EU is a trading organisation and does not interfere in the domestic issues of it's members no matter what UKIP and the Tories tell us

Thats not to say that they could threaten Spain's EU membership for it's actions once the dust had settled considering the articles of membership that it has breached

However Juncker and co made me eat my words with their statements and i too have reversed my opinion

Edited by Ally Bongo

The king of Spain is in essence a successor to Franco, is he not?Ā  Ironic to hear an unelected monarch complaining about a referendum being "undemocratic".

Ā 

The EU stance is pretty much the same as their attitude to our indyref.Ā  Their default position is that "unity" trumps everything.Ā  Never mind the violence and the distortion of democracy.Ā  I voted to remain in the EU and I probably still would, but they really need to think a bit harder about the statements they put out.Ā  The EU appears to be supporting the bad guys.Ā  Instinctively, that looks very wrong to me.

The Catalans seem to value peace, otherwise they would probably have been getting stuck right into the Spanish police.Ā  Right at this moment, the only thing preventing an impending civil war looks like the fact that the Catalan independence movement, like the Scottish one, is a peaceful democratic movement.Ā  Things might change if Spain elects for military action once indy is declared, but the situation is on a knife edge.

As usual, the UK government has taken the side of the baddies too.

This is a general point, but I think nowadays people view impartiality by the media towards any given subject by allowing both sides of an argument to outline their own partial views.

There's nothing wrong with that but it's not exactly what impartial reporting should be. Ā That is someone who is impartial outlining both sides of the argument and outlining both the strong points and the flaws in both sides.

26 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Fell asleep reading that.Ā  Got to the bit where he claimed that less than 40% of the population voted and deduced that he had an agenda.Ā  If you can precis it in less than 100 words, let me know...

Basically this Catalan thing is all part of a Masonic conspiracy led by one-percenters like George Soros to create a neoliberal European superstate with them in charge.

Skip to the last paragraph:

" Now, Soros and co want to ā€˜change thingsā€™ a little more. It is time to divide the Spanish proletariat by turning Spainā€™s nationalities into fake ā€˜nationsā€™ fully under the control of a corporate European super-state. After Catalonia, more will follow. The European Union is quietly watching as Spain is torn apart.Europe will go through a period of crisis and chaos. It is a necessary step towards the messianicĀ ordo ab chaoĀ to come. "

Edited by Dave78

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Basically this Catalan thing is all part of a Masonic conspiracy led by one-percenters like George Soros to create a neoliberal European superstate with them in charge.

Skip to the last paragraph:

" Now, Soros and co want to ā€˜change thingsā€™ a little more. It is time to divide the Spanish proletariat by turning Spainā€™s nationalities into fake ā€˜nationsā€™ fully under the control of a corporate European super-state. After Catalonia, more will follow. The European Union is quietly watching as Spain is torn apart.Europe will go through a period of crisis and chaos. It is a necessary step towards the messianicĀ ordo ab chaoĀ to come. "

Doesnā€™t sound that far fetched.

The Catalans have been called too poor to be independent, too rich and selfish, nazis, anti sistemas..pretty much everything. Ā Glad to see new world order conspiracy is in there now too.

I can only speak for what I know. Ā The people I know there are decent, hospitableĀ people just wanting to vote. Ā None of these extremes. Ā Sure they're probably independent supporters of some variation (never really asked them) but they are no radicals. Ā Many non-independence supporters want a legal vote too. Ā A huge majority (probably more now) in all opinion polls shows this.

Just shouting it's illegal doesn't help anybody. Ā No analysis of the reasons why it is illegal or any dialogue to allow them a legal vote. Ā Just a brick wall. Ā It's very disappointing the great powers just line up behind the status quo for their own reasons. The catalans have been asking for a vote peacefully for years - what more can they do? Ā Isn't this what Europe tells people to do. Ā Vote democratically?

Not every group has a right to decide their future but Catalunya has all the basic competencies.Ā  You'll never finish this until they have a vote now anyway. Ā The events of Sunday means it's inevitable. Ā Ā 

Ā 

See some folk on my facebook comparing Catalonia to a mere region like Cornwall. Must have missed the leader of Cornwall getting shot for proclaiming a republic not even 80 years ago. Ā They've struggled more than Scotland has in 50 yearsĀ but because of some vagary of history they're told they have no right. Ā Or rather, you have a right as long as the state agrees. Ā When the state violently or even legally tells you, you're not allowed an opinion it doesn't solve the problem. Ā This will run and run.

ps watch Carles Puigdemont's interview with Ajazeera. Ā They just want a vote. Ā If it's free and fair they'll respect the result. Ā This is no coup. It's democracy.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

In lieu of Catalonia's UDI in the next few days the Spanish military is starting to arrive there in large numbers.

This really has the potential for another Spanish civil war

All it would have taken was for the EU to quickly point out to Spain that any more article breaches could result in their membership being reviewedĀ 

Ā 

Anyone know if there are any Catalan military forces? ie like Scotland has regiments etc....and if there are any, wonder if any personnel in them would back the new state against the ruling Spanish forces, should the situation end up in a military conflict (and the way Spain is behaving so far, that IS a possibility)

14 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Anyone know if there are any Catalan military forces? ie like Scotland has regiments etc....and if there are any, wonder if any personnel in them would back the new state against the ruling Spanish forces, should the situation end up in a military conflict (and the way Spain is behaving so far, that IS a possibility)

It doesnt

It has it's own Police force which replaced both the Spanish Civil Guard (military wing) and Spanish National Police Corps in the early 90s

The rub is that the new Police force is completely civilianĀ 

The Catalan Police refused to shut down polling stations which is why the Civil Guard was sent in by Madrid to disrupt the referendum

Edited by Ally Bongo