Personalised plates - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Personalised plates

What is the point in them?

All I can see is folk trying to look the big man or making it easier to find the car in a large place.

What is the point in them? I have never ever seen the point in them. Then again I've never seen the point in splashing out on cars. 

Go on, convince me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considered it for about in sum total about 2 hours since it became possible and like you could see no point.

It is a status symbol & nothing more despite the so called pro's of having one.

It does theoretically hide the age of your car but as most folk are likely to keep the plate when they sell it i cant see any financial advantage unless you come across some goober who sees a witty or funny plate as a clincher to buying it.

When i see a woman with one i might break into a smirk - i know someone called Morag who has that as a plate

When i see a guy with one i think dick

Then again i did consider it myself - ergo i'm a bit of a dick too

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

All I can see is folk trying to look the big man or making it easier to find the car in a large place.

What is the point in them? I have never ever seen the point in them. Then again I've never seen the point in splashing out on cars. 

Go on, convince me.

I'm holding out until they allow plates from agricultural vehicles to be moved to  cars 

have a single digit and 3 characters - valued at GBP 6K in 87 

not told my brother it's me who has the registration (paper) docs from a 57 Ford Major :-)

I can understand some folk wanting to hide age on their car

my mate has 2 private plates i think - he likes to spend his money on cars - ir around 37 and i think he has owned over the years say 35-45 cars = loses a whoore of money on them - seen him getting rid of BNW/Audi at 3 months old cos he didnt like it  

I bought a car from my friend about 15 years ago. Her surname was Horn . She had a private number plate and it took months to move it due to some paperwork that hadnt been submitted correctly.

I therefore had to drive about in a turquoise Audi cabriolet with cream leather upholstery with the number plate PII ORN. There was supposed to be a screw between the  I and I to make an H , but you couldnt see it. I couldnae get rid of it quick enough. Talk about unwanted attention.

Undeterred by this I got drunk one night and bought a private plate to replace PII ORN. I woke up the next morning to find out I had spent 600 quid  on some bland generic personal plate. It was the first thing I ever bought online. I still have it , if only to remind me what a fanny I was.  And of course as I get older it is easier to remember the same number plate. 

I am certainly not a 'big man' , I am however a drunk ?

Edited by TDYER63
Spelling

13 hours ago, macy37 said:

Go on, convince me.

The calling card of an absolute helmet. There must be more in Glasgow, per head of population, than anywhere else.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I bought a car from my friend about 15 years ago. Her surname was Horn . She had a private number plate and it took months to move it due to some paperwork that hadnt been submitted correctly.

I therefore had to drive about in a turquoise Audi cabriolet with cream leather upholstery with the number plate PII ORN. There was supposed to be a screw between the  I and I to make an H , but you couldnt see it. I couldnae get rid of it quick enough. Talk about unwanted attention.

Undeterred by this I got drunk one night and bought a private plate to replace PII ORN. I woke up the next morning to find out I had spent 600 quid  on some bland generic personal plate. It was the first thing I ever bought online. I still have it , if only to remind me what a fanny I was.  And of course as I get older it is easier to remember the same number plate. 

I am certainly not a 'big man' , I am however a drunk ?

A young lady in Dundee has/had one with M2 Sexy (or it may have been just M2 SXY).

One of the few times personal plates made me smile :lol:

My wife bought me one for my 40th....   just a shorter version of my name.....   dont really like it, but no gonna pay to get it off my car..... 

Sometimes they can be amusing  

and dont really do any harm.....

1 hour ago, stocky said:

My wife bought me one for my 40th....   just a shorter version of my name.....   dont really like it, but no gonna pay to get it off my car..... 

Of course they dont. Some people just aren't happy unless they are having a pop at someone. 

23 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'd thought about getting one with my name on it back in the 90s when N regies came out.  Then I saw in the paper a guy in Hamilton paid 10 grand for it.  20 odd years on and I've still never bought a motor that expensive never mind a plate...

there is no N in Toepoke!!!!  :lol::lol:

9 minutes ago, bonzo said:

When you change to a private number plate, what happens to the car's original registration? 

u keep it.....  

or sell it on , if someone else wants it.

when u buy a new car, you either sell the personalised no with the car or you transfer for 70 quid to the new car .... Which is the pish bit.

Lose 250 quid minimum ( cost of private reggie)  or pay 70 quid each time u change car...

Most people see the original plate with the car and keep the personalised one...

each to their own and all that but I also fail to see the point of buying a personalised plate.

I can only assume they do it to try to promote an image of wealth or status?

The mis spaced ones or using screws to modify the letters/numbers is the mark of a bawbag.

18 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I'm holding out until they allow plates from agricultural vehicles to be moved to  cars 

have a single digit and 3 characters - valued at GBP 6K in 87 

not told my brother it's me who has the registration (paper) docs from a 57 Ford Major :-)

I can understand some folk wanting to hide age on their car

my mate has 2 private plates i think - he likes to spend his money on cars - ir around 37 and i think he has owned over the years say 35-45 cars = loses a whoore of money on them - seen him getting rid of BNW/Audi at 3 months old cos he didnt like it  

Growing up in Wick 30 years ago there was an old woman round the corner who had a little red Austin Mini Metro with ASK 1. Guess it was her husband's before he died or something, SK was the Highlands 2-letter code so it didn't travel far. Anyway, after years of having both car & plate, we then saw her driving round in a brand new Vauxhall Cavalier or similar with ASK 9. Turns out someone had approached her with the deal of swapping her ASK 1 plate for both brand new car and ASK 9. She thought she'd hit the jackpot, couldn't believe someone would do such a swap for a single digit difference. 

Wonder how much ASK 1 is worth now. More than a brand new Vauxhall I'd wager!

9 hours ago, fringo said:

A young lady in Dundee has/had one with M2 Sexy (or it may have been just M2 SXY).

One of the few times personal plates made me smile :lol:

There's a lassie that drives about Aberdeen in a pink mini (I think) that has sxy and some numbers. 

She either lied, or loaned the car to someone else, because she was a munter that ensured the suspension was well worked when she got out of it. 

I was all excited when she parked up too :yikes3:

9 hours ago, stocky said:

The fact you think it's fine worries me.