The Final Globe Earth v Flat Earth Debate - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Final Globe Earth v Flat Earth Debate

34 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

"Four corners could only mean 4 physical corners. Yep, that what it says. Couldn't be poetry or a fancy way of saying 'as far in all directions' or anything like that. Nope, it HAS to be four physical corners."

(My goodness you are tediously boring.)

Are you really so self-blind? Of course I know it could be figurative. That's my whole point. Exactly the same argument could be made, for example, for Isaiah 40:22 (your source for the circularity of the Earth - according to that graphic you posted): "It is he that sitteth upon the  circle of the Earth" - that reads like poetry to me. You cannot cherry-pick from the Bible what is figurative and what is literal fact, based solely on what fits your pre-determined world-view - but that is precisely what you are doing - and ironically it's precisely the argument you're trying to use against me.

44 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Hex does mean spell...

I know it means spell. Trying to muddy the waters, Scotty? You were claiming that it means spell because of the Greek word for 'six'. It doesn't, as I showed. It means spell because of the Germanic word for 'hag'.

46 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

(And I never said that I got that information from the Bible).

But you did say in that thread that what you were claiming was 'the truth'. You have said in this thread that I have never debunked you. Wrong on both counts. Anyroad, continue to troll the thread with shite ... oh, but I forgot, I'm the one who's tediously boring.

5 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I am open-minded, but I doubt I'd be able to assemble the network of people needed.

Yes, I would like to do that.

As mentioned previously, I have a good friend who knows his stuff and is determined to show me that we live on globe.

(Just need to find the time to be able to get together.)

Hi Scotty & welcome back - I hope you enjoyed your trip (did I read somewhere you were in Havana?). This is a bit rushed as I'm off to work, so if there are errors/omissions or lack of clarity I will sort out later.

It's good you are, as you say, open-minded as this is honestly not hard to see, even (as I promised) without stepping out of basic Maths taught in schools.

To answer your queries:

The photos could show the sky revolving around a stationary Earth, yes, hence why I suggest getting the photos from differrent positions.

There are honestly millions of these photos in existence, but my suggestion was to take your own - a local astronomy society would happily show you how. It's a shame if you've been in Havana as you could have done this from there & compared with your location (negating the need for any network). The Maths you need at that point for the FE theory to hold is basic trigonometry. The Pole Star would form a right-angled triangle to the Earth, so you can in fact presume it is any distance you like away without affecting the calculation.

Let's assume we think it is 10 miles above the North Pole, we need to measure the angle of elevation . Your Canada measurement & your Havana measurement would be:

C: RA triangle with sides of 10, your distance to the North Pole + hypotenuse (now the distance between you & the star - easy to draw).

H: As above, but you're further away. You can even visualise the angle we are interested in by putting one arm parallel to the ground while the other points to the star.

What we are now interested in here is the 'opposite' side of the triangle (N. Pole to star - in our model 10 miles) and the angle. You can use simple trigonometry now to measure any bit of the triangle you like (or draw it to scale & use a protractor). On a FE model, the height will never change and whilst the angle will narrow, it can never reach zero) because it's always up there, in the same place & visible. On a globe, the height will change by latitude.

So my prediction is that what you'd find in Havana is that your calculation fails. The measurable height would be different - significantly & utterly impossible to explain by any internet meme, photoshop or conspiracy theory. And it would revert back in Canada.

There is then one final & obvious proof. Take the same photo from Australia. You can't do it - ever. What you CAN do is take a similar star-trail photo of stars rotating around the southern pole - same effect, completely different set of stars.

So, to sum up: Huddersfield has provided a straightforward way of showing that the earth is not a flat disc, and Scotty has said that the Bible contains poetry which should not be taken as a literal, physical description of the world. A useful morning for all concerned and we can finally put this one to bed. :)

Edited by DonnyTJS

13 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

So, I'm making excuses unless I organise a network around the world to take simultaneous photos, or if I don't purchase a ridiculously expensive telescope and fly to Ireland?

(Would it be asking too much for you to at least be reasonable and realistic?)

You don't need a network. 2 points and simple trigonometry does it as Huddersfield says. 

19 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

How do you know that? Have you ever been in both places at the sane time?

You've been reading Scotty for too long, that's exactly the kind of reply he'd come out with! :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You've been reading Scotty for too long, that's exactly the kind of reply he'd come out with! :lol: 

I'm sitting looking at the moon right now. I'm not believing Biffer until he post a pic of what it looks like from Montevideo.

16 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

01c93c0463149e5fcee53ba541aec076--flat-e

I've seen this before - there's actually no evidence he said this. Here's a link to the article this is taken from; a somewhat poetical report from a journal at the time. If you look, you will see very little actually quoted, and that is, correctly, in inverted commas. The words above are the words of the journalist, not a quote from Piccard.

Had he 'discovered' a flat earth, isn't it perhaps logical that he would have made a little more of it in his lifetime, given it would have been the most spectacular & stunning discovery in history? In fact, you'll do well to find a single quote in his lifetime indicating in any way that he believed the Earth was flat.

https://imgur.com/6tMQeZo

More to the point, using words like stratosphere sounds impressive, but in fact, he travelled barely higher than a modern jet with only the porthole you see above to make his observations, so as flat earth evidence, it's as weak as it gets.

"I believe there is a conspiracy because of this factor"

"Here is compelling evidence that explains that factor"

"That evidence and the persons giving it is a lie/liars"