The Final Globe Earth v Flat Earth Debate - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Final Globe Earth v Flat Earth Debate

If the earth was flat, all of our theories of physics are wrong. 

If all of our theories of physics are wrong, electromagnetism and quantum mechanics are wrong. 

If electromagnetism and quantum mechanics are wrong, the Internet wouldn't work. 

You're posting this on the Internet. 

Edited by biffer

23 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

He is the most offensive poster on the board.

Really because in 12 years on here I have never seen him post anything as offensive as this...

21 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Scotty is an idiotiic fool that given his views would take us back to an age of superstition and ignorance.He and his fellow God bothering whancks are cnuts.

Wow.

11 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Scotty the most offensive poster on the board, that's an absolute belter of a comment.

Funny isn't it. You can disagree with him... but he is polite in the extreme. Whereas the above is way beyond the pale.

8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

No one died at Sandy Hook. :)

Your opinion... 

8 hours ago, biffer said:

Everyone still sure about inoffensive? 

I notice you skip over the outrageous post by windy (which was a lot worse) and only focus on scotty's reply to him. For a scientist you are not exactly being objective on what is 'offensive' on this thread.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Should be ashamed of yourself

Ditto.

Why does windy and biff have such a hard on for this guy? It is like a witch hunt...

Edited by thplinth

On 9/23/2017 at 9:27 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Christ you like a long post.  It's all right making an argument against Scotty's madness and having a bit of a laugh about his bonkers god bothering but you hit the nail on the head. The stuff he posts is insulting ignorant trash and should be challenged.He is the most offensive poster on the board.

Thing is, I'm sure Scotty is a very decent and humane person. I've had real trouble with his Bible-based views on homosexuality, but the guy doesn't seem to genuinely judge anyone and certainly doesn't wish anyone harm. Some of the views he holds are hurtful, but he doesn't mean to hurt anyone. Many of us hold views that must hurtful to him but he never takes it badly.

I replied at length there instead of just ignoring him because Scotty deserves to be treated with a bit of respect as a person (mibbes not as a judge of reality, but that's another thing). Scotty is an oasis of civility in an internet full of hateful bams.

Having said that, I saw his Sandy Hook post just there and I nearly winced myself inside out. This stuff rubs salt into the very, very painful wounds of grieving families. If someone said the Dunblane shooting was a hoax many of us here would go fvcking berserk. http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/08/us/newtown-victim-parent-lenny-pozner-hoaxers/index.html

3 hours ago, Nobby said:

Misguided rather than offensive, unless your a parent or relative involved. I'm a firm believer in the right to cause offence. People today are too feckin precious. Just my opinion of course !

With respect (and I actually mean that, not being platitudinous) that's an easy thing for someone to say who doesn't have their existence questioned or ridiculed every day; who isn't discriminated against for who they are; who is mainstream, middle of the road, and not on the fringes. 

I learned today that a lot of black and brown people in London prefer Uber because they have trouble getting cabs to take them. That kind of thing must really hurt. It's easy to say people shouldn't let things get to them when they, like me, don't have anything about their character or lives that other people use against them.

3 hours ago, biffer said:

If the earth was flat, all of our theories of physics are wrong. 

I often point this out to people - if we're wrong about x, the we don't know anything, and certainly don't know enough to fly planes or create a global information system that lets me watch the Motherwell game on my phone or make electricity from lumps of uranium or any of a hundred other amazing, improbable things nobody questions. But it never makes any difference.

I've encountered people who know we can land a spaceship on a comet, but don't believe the same organisation can measure air temperature. 

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:04 PM, Scotty CTA said:

It would only be a good point if I were posting videos claiming that they were actual footage of a flat, motionless earth (taken from goodness knows where).

The videos I post contain information and graphics of models that show how the flat motionless earth could work.

So only believe videos you post? Glad that's cleared up.  :banghead:

21 hours ago, calmac_man said:

With respect (and I actually mean that, not being platitudinous) that's an easy thing for someone to say who doesn't have their existence questioned or ridiculed every day; who isn't discriminated against for who they are; who is mainstream, middle of the road, and not on the fringes. 

I learned today that a lot of black and brown people in London prefer Uber because they have trouble getting cabs to take them. That kind of thing must really hurt. It's easy to say people shouldn't let things get to them when they, like me, don't have anything about their character or lives that other people use against them.

Thank you for not being platitudinous ? Not picking a fare up because of the colour of their skin is racism and I would agree is wrong. Causing offence is different. The most recent example for me was the comment that allegedly the England women's ex manager came out with something along the lines of "make sure your relatives don't bring Ebola over when they come" in reference to some Nigerian relatives coming over. I see that as more crass and offensive than racist and whilst I totally defend her right to be offended, I would also defend his right to be offensive. He may be a racist for all I know I have no idea, but it does seem that racist is being shouted on a lot of occasions when it's some twat being offensive when they're trying to be funny. I'm also aware that people may be offended by this view, hey ho life goes on ! 

On 9/24/2017 at 0:22 PM, Eisegerwind said:

My take on Scotty's last reply to my post was him coming out and admitting that it's all a wind up.

No, not all a wind up. It shows that he thinks you're JPM. Maybe he's right; I don't know, but that's why he brought up Sandy Hook denial, because it wound JPM up summat rotten. Charming lad, Scotty, as so many keep pointing out ...

48 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

No, not all a wind up. It shows that he thinks you're JPM. Maybe he's right; I don't know, but that's why he brought up Sandy Hook denial, because it wound JPM up summat rotten. Charming lad, Scotty, as so many keep pointing out ...

He may think you’re some sort of gatekeeper but you can’t deny the boy is generally polite ☝️

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-41399164

Spoiler: The Earth is not flat.

But US rapper B.o.B. is crowd-funding the launch of satellites to see if he can get some evidence to the contrary.

The rapper, whose real name is Bobby Ray Simmons Jr, has been a vocal proponent of the Flat Earth theory - the claim the Earth is, in fact, a disc and not spherical.

Some proponents of the Flat Earth theory claim NASA employees guard the edge of the world to prevent people falling off.

6 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

The question that no one seems to be asking is why "flat-earthers" wish to believe its flat - why?. Is there something to be gained for flattiness ?

Pretty sure it's a creationist link

There has been more proper thinking about 'science' on this board since Scotty posted his flat earth thread stuff than 12 years of Biffer threads.

The Flat Earth folk have an alternative explanation for everything! Added together it is crazy but piece by piece... That gets you really thinking fundamentally about why you think it is a sphere.  i think that is why they get so annoyed with Scotty. They got lazy and sloppy and when pushed for the first time in an age they cannot immediately overturn him - and oh boy that results in silent venom.

Edited by thplinth

33 minutes ago, thplinth said:

There has been more proper thinking about 'science' on this board since Scotty posted his flat earth thread stuff than 12 years of Biffer threads.

The Flat Earth folk have an alternative explanation for everything! Added together it is crazy but piece by piece... That gets you really thinking fundamentally about why you think it is a sphere.  i think that is why they get so annoyed with Scotty. They got lazy and sloppy and when pushed for the first time in an age they cannot immediately overturn him - and oh boy that results in silent venom.

No they don't. They think they do but the answers they have don't work. 

And I don't start many science threads, I just dive onto other people's. 

There's no silent venom. There may be the sound of my head hitting the table as I struggle to cope with how completely blind to reality people can be. 

21 minutes ago, biffer said:

No they don't. They think they do but the answers they have don't work. 

And I don't start many science threads, I just dive onto other people's. 

There's no silent venom. There may be the sound of my head hitting the table as I struggle to cope with how completely blind to reality people can be. 

They do but collectively it only adds up one way... God! The alternative does not require a God.

Listen Scotty has provoked more science by challenging it all than you ever will by agreeing with it all...and saying 'you can only talk to people who have done the maths, the experiments'... Is that how Feynman rolled? If you really understand you should be able to dance around Scotty. No?

19 minutes ago, thplinth said:

They do but collectively it only adds up one way... God! The alternative does not require a God.

Listen Scotty has provoked more science by challenging it all than you ever will by agreeing with it all...and saying 'you can only talk to people who have done the maths, the experiments'... Is that how Feynman rolled? If you really understand you should be able to dance around Scotty. No?

I don't claim to be the communicator that Feynmann was. Nowhere near as smart. And to be honest when someone won't believe the evidence because it's the work of satan then there's not a lot you can do. I try to put the Science view so other people aren't taken in by the BS. 

5 minutes ago, biffer said:

I don't claim to be the communicator that Feynmann was. Nowhere near as smart. And to be honest when someone won't believe the evidence because it's the work of satan then there's not a lot you can do. I try to put the Science view so other people aren't taken in by the BS. 

Ok but you are not up against Feynmann's bizarro twin here.

(or are you...:lol:)