The Final Globe Earth v Flat Earth Debate - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Final Globe Earth v Flat Earth Debate

On 9/14/2017 at 10:19 PM, kumnio said:

I will save you the time, the earth is a globe.

I think you'll find...

[pushes glasses up nose]

... that it's an oblate spheroid!

I don't remember Scotty being a literal flat earthist before. When did this happen? You'd have thought in the age of GPS that this one would have been slaughtered once and for all, but no, the internet seems to have made this stuff proliferate. 

On 9/15/2017 at 0:30 AM, Scotty CTA said:

I don't think that there are any accurate maps.

Scotty's right, there are no truly accurate maps. Because there's no way of projecting a curved shape onto a flat surface with absolute fidelity. Somewhere, something has to give. With Mercator, what gives is stretching at the poles, especially in the northern hemisphere. With Gall-Peters, what gives is shape at the poles. With my own favourite, Goode's homolosine (sp?) projection, what gives is you have to cut big slices into the map. 

It would be a piece of piss to map the world if it were flat. The reason it's difficult, and ground measurements start going wrong over long distances (see the borders between US states), is because the planet is curved.

Can't believe I'm getting drawn into this. It was the West Wing reference that did it...

11 hours ago, phart said:

I've been wrong too many times to always be 100% but i'm still daft enough to be sure about some shit :)

It's to do with distinguishing between genuine extreme views and their parody's. I guess "nothing to do with sarcasm" is overstating it, but more about being able to differentiate between them.

Maybe I misinterpreted what I read due to the fact that most of my "humour" and "parody" is of the sarcastic variety?

On 14/09/2017 at 11:03 PM, Scotty CTA said:

You've seen the same CGI that we've all seen...

1448349256868.jpg

2012 is especially ridiculous.

Can't believe I'm getting suckered into this.   2012 is easy.   Taken from a lower altitude, so field of view is filled by N America.   Funny how you can see further by flying higher in an airplane.

I gave up on the OP video, as it wasn't funny for any more than 5 minutes.   FFS, the Suez canal should drain from its ends since the middle is higher!??!   Might as well say that if the earth is a sphere all the water should run from the north pole to the south and dribble off the bottom.

3 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Can't believe I'm getting suckered into this.   2012 is easy.   Taken from a lower altitude, so field of view is filled by N America.   Funny how you can see further by flying higher in an airplane.

I gave up on the OP video, as it wasn't funny for any more than 5 minutes.   FFS, the Suez canal should drain from its ends since the middle is higher!??!   Might as well say that if the earth is a sphere all the water should run from the north pole to the south and dribble off the bottom.

:lol: Nicely put.

4 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Can't believe I'm getting suckered into this.  

They are all composites. There are hardly any single pictures of the earth in existence. (Apollo 17? I think was one). Everything else is stitched together using pictures taken at different times and with complex cloud pattern changes in between. They take the pictures in different ways and then make a composite. That is why they are all different (it is part picture but still like an artist's interpretation pulling it all together). 1975 especially would be ridiculously different technology.

8 minutes ago, biffer said:

Also, if someone could explain why, in a flat earth scenario, weather systems spin one way in the northern hemisphere and the other way in the Southern Hemisphere, that'd be great. 

Image result for that would be great

Have none of these bams ever tried this simple project. It's now pretty cheap and simple to get a weather balloon, camera, phone and box, and send them into space. Loads of people have done it and put their videos on Youtube - in the example here they reached 33km, and the curve of the Earth is very obvious.

Simple, cheap and incontrovertible; why wouldn't one of them give it a go? 

Near Space Weather Balloon Launch With Gopro

11 minutes ago, calmac_man said:

Have none of these bams ever tried this simple project. It's now pretty cheap and simple to get a weather balloon, camera, phone and box, and send them into space. Loads of people have done it and put their videos on Youtube - in the example here they reached 33km, and the curve of the Earth is very obvious.

Yeah. 'I've done some research' never extends to doing any actual research.

18 minutes ago, calmac_man said:

Stop with your real world stuff.

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Pretty sure Scotty posted a video before using weather balloon footage to "prove" earth is flat as the curvature of the planet wasn't visible.

And as Scott himself says, seeing a video of something in this day and age proves nothing.

Mind you if you imagine the planet as being the size of a football, yon weather balloon will be reaching a height less than 1mm from the surface. It's going to be difficult to get an impression of the curvature from a vantage point there.

I've read comments from Concorde pilots saying that from 25km up it felt like you could see the ground curve but it was really an optical illusion.