Champions League - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Champions League

2 minutes ago, slasher said:

Just a few days after seeing pundits drooling over the possibility of having 5 of the 8 quarter finalists it looks like the greatest league in the world will have just 2. Pleasing 😁

Aye - the Premier League's no as good as the English media like to believe it is. :)

That being said, it's dull that it's three Spanish, two Italian, two English and a German side in the quarter-finals - five years since a side from a non-top six nation has played in the Champions League quarter-finals and nineteen years since there were two at that stage.

Edited by Clyde1998

15 minutes ago, kumnio said:

It is absolutely fabulous watching their teams get gubbed. They have all the money in the world, and they still cant compete with proper European teams.

I remember being in High school and we had a science teacher who was obsessed with fitba’. He was a dick but if you got him on fitba’, lessons were pushed aside. Anyway, I think I may have been the only lad who would come in chuffed as buggery in the mornings that an English team got fucked the night before. Whereas every other wank had their “second English team” :rolleyes:

The fat wank of a teacher used to smirk and wink as it was clear he thought the same as me.

@RenfrewBlue, get this. I remember that teacher and I were happy the morning after Rangers done Leeds. You widnae believe that, wid ye? :P

Edited by Ormond

51 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

You've been breathing in too much of that American air 

What grade were you in and was this before or after recess?

High school normal.surley??

But it was a joy to watch Messi tonight, two goals were great but the work to the set up for dembele was phenomenal

9 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

That being said, it's dull that it's three Spanish, two Italian, two English and a German side in the quarter-finals - five years since a side from a non-top six nation has played in the Champions League quarter-finals and nineteen years since there were two at that stage.

That’s won’t change any time soon, football is barely sport nowadays, especially the CL, it’s been engineered to suit a small band of countries. To be brutally honest I wouldn’t give a shit if Scottish teams stopped competing in Europe. Aberdeen have been in it four or five years on the bounce, it’s been nothing more that a pre season tour. 

Celtic maybe got to the groups but theyve next to zero chance of progressing further. Football always delivered hope and a chance at winning, take that away and what’s the point of it?

UEFAs club competition must be close to the most unfair competitions in the world.

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Just be grateful it wasn't the age of mobile phones otherwise he would have been sending you dick pics. Its cute how you think he was thinking about football though. 

I knew as I typed it that it wouldn’t take long... :lol:

13 hours ago, Ormond said:

I remember being in High school and we had a science teacher who was obsessed with fitba’. He was a dick but if you got him on fitba’, lessons were pushed aside. Anyway, I think I may have been the only lad who would come in chuffed as buggery in the mornings that an English team got fucked the night before. Whereas every other wank had their “second English team” :rolleyes:

The fat wank of a teacher used to smirk and wink as it was clear he thought the same as me.

@RenfrewBlue, get this. I remember that teacher and I were happy the morning after Rangers done Leeds. You widnae believe that, wid ye? :P

You should have seen me after those games. 😀 

Admittedly I was already working but was in Dunfermline by then (3 years I'll never get back) and possibly the only Rangers supporter in the group. 

Quite a few Jambos though and they were generally happy for us too. 

Did blot my copy book the year we drew 2-2 with Dortmund in the group stages as was on holiday and celebrated us scoring only to find out I was the only Scot in a German bar. 🙄

Didn't hang about long after the final whistle.......... 

Bring the European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup back. It's was a lot more simplistic and more importantly competitive back then 

I'd also scrap this consolation cup pish. If you get knocked out the champions league then your out of European competition full stop, none of this dropping into the Europa

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Bring the European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup back. It's was a lot more simplistic and more importantly competitive back then 

I'd also scrap this consolation cup pish. If you get knocked out the champions league then your out of European competition full stop, none of this dropping into the Europa

Would love to see the old format back, or at least a version of it, but I think there are too many people making a lot of money with the current format, who are important enough in the bigger picture to keep it as is.

Edited by BlueGaz

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

Would love to see the old format back, or at least a version of it, but I think there are too many people making a lot of money with the current format, who are important enough in the bigger picture to keep it as is.

The champions league is getting closer and closer to becoming a closed shop so I'd hope that pretty soon the likes of Scotland, Portugal, Netherlands and even France(minus PSG) etc will get together and come up with something

Guest BlueGaz
5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The champions league is getting closer and closer to becoming a closed shop so I'd hope that pretty soon the likes of Scotland, Portugal, Netherlands and even France(minus PSG) etc will get together and come up with something

Thats true.  Fingers crossed.